ForumsWEPRIncest

24 21726
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Why does society stigmatizes incest? What's so bad about it? Is it okay or should it be condemned? Post your opinions below.

Edit: Pls. cover only "between consenting adults", not the ones involving minors.

• 24 Replies
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

To remove some clutter, I will edit the post.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

If the siblings were to divorce or something goes wrong while they are in a sexual relationship it will cause a rift in the family(kin or extended as well). You can go ahead and pretend that they 'can' get along because it does happen in real life but the reality is, it isn't the common to say "I broke your heart; let's be friends". Sometimes there are very good reasons to separate and still be friends but this is rarely the case which is the sad truth. My point is that a division between the two siblings in a sexual relationship will cause an even deeper rift in the family thus destroying the unity within the family.
What say you?

so...? millions of families dont get along for millions of reason. this really sounds more like an excuse then an explanation. if thats the case, lets cancel marriage alltogether because theres a chance that people will get hurt by it.

Oh and also I can imagine their children killing themselves. I'm actually being really serious about this, people do and have killed themselves for reasons like this, for example the youngest girl to ever give birth; her child killed himself. She had another at 16, he also killed himself. If the age of your mother is enough then well I don't see why this couldn't be. This will also cause a pretty big rift in your family but since we're sort of just ignoring the "kids" part of Insect I will imagine responses go to the above paragraph.

people kill themselves because of society. if a child killed himself because his parents are related, its only because of how society treats him and his parents for that. in a society where this was normal, a child would have no reason to kill himself. in that case, lets only allow perfect people to have children, to decrease the chances of children killing themselves.

instead of banning or changing people, society has to be changed. dont ban gays from having children, change society into excepting such families. same thing can be said about any kind of family whether its incest, mixed races or whatever.

i mean, i read this article about this girl killing herself for discovering her father was a ginger. come on...

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

any relationship could hurt someone. homosexual, a relationship between people of different races and even a totally regular relationship between 2 people who have families who just dont like each other.

Also true, which is why the question gets deeper.

If the siblings were to divorce or something goes wrong while they are in a sexual relationship it will cause a rift in the family

This is a very specific case, aside from what thebluerabbit stated above and you have just stated one of its negatives. Hardly representative of incest in general, let alone something to base your opinion on.

And apparently, the OP did edit the post as stated to mostly focus this thread in the case of consenting adults engaging in incest.

Oh and also I can imagine their children killing themselves.

You don't say. And I can imagine anyone getting killed by anything.

The thing is one cannot talk about incest using these as general examples. In fact, you didn't even use them as examples, merely as references. And then you proceeded to reach a conclusion.

It is like saying trying to reach the moon is bad because a failed test flight almost injured one of the attendants.

A united world begins with a united family.

Simplest counter-argument that I could think in 5 seconds: Not every incest is taboo in every family.

I could argue as such that a family that accepts incest between its members may be greatly united. Maybe because it is accepted in circumstances ( like not for reproduction) etc. But that would be drifting into very specifics.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Speaking of incest, Does the Habsburg house gets away with it?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

We must reign ourselves in and remember that marriage between cousins, even first cousins, and between uncles and nieces wasn't frowned upon and socially stigmatized to the degree that it is today. We must place ourselves in the shoes of our ancestors, and view their world through their eyes, not through our inevitably prejudiced 21st century lenses. The Habsburgs practiced inbreeding to an extraordinary degree, but most royal houses then also conformed to consanguineous marriages.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

@thebluerabbit
A. The idea is to minimize since erasing is illogical. Also which society has to change? PRC does perfectly fine with policies that are near opposite to what the USA would have.

B. The child didn't even figure out until the mother told him, how society treated him on that specific trait is irrelevant because if the child did not know it's highly doubtful that the people around him (excluding family) would know.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

A. The idea is to minimize since erasing is illogical. Also which society has to change? PRC does perfectly fine with policies that are near opposite to what the USA would have.

if minimizing the potential of suffer is your basis then this could be used to argue pretty much against anything.
lets ban gay marriage because as society is right now, their children will suffer.
lets ban inter-racial marriage because many hatefull people would target these people.
lets ban junk food because it usually causes disaeases, same with alcohol, smoking, and all kinds of other stuff.

sorry, but this argument is pretty absurd.

B. The child didn't even figure out until the mother told him, how society treated him on that specific trait is irrelevant because if the child did not know it's highly doubtful that the people around him (excluding family) would know.

if the child knew and society wouldnt treat it as such a taboo the child would not care. theres no reason for a child to reach the illogical conclusion that theres anything wrong with this, if society doesnt teach him that.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

If the siblings were to divorce or something goes wrong while they are in a sexual relationship it will cause a rift in the family(kin or extended as well).

Because normal divorce totally doesn't cause a rift in the family.

My point is that a division between the two siblings in a sexual relationship will cause an even deeper rift in the family thus destroying the unity within the family.
What say you?

Kids get kicked out of their houses for being homosexual by fundamentalist parents. I think that means we should ban religion. (sarcasm alert)

Oh and also I can imagine their children killing themselves. I'm actually being really serious about this, people do and have killed themselves for reasons like this, for example the youngest girl to ever give birth; her child killed himself. She had another at 16, he also killed himself. If the age of your mother is enough then well I don't see why this couldn't be. This will also cause a pretty big rift in your family but since we're sort of just ignoring the "kids" part of Insect I will imagine responses go to the above paragraph.

Please explain the implicit association you have made to incest with teenage pregnancy and how that is not entirely irrelevant.

if the child knew and society wouldnt treat it as such a taboo the child would not care. theres no reason for a child to reach the illogical conclusion that theres anything wrong with this, if society doesnt teach him that.

Ironically, the people who argue that homosexuals should not be able to adopt (we can directly extend this argument to the children of incestuous couples) because their kids would be teased and bullied for it, are the people who would be doing the teasing and bullying of said kids.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Ironically, the people who argue that homosexuals should not be able to adopt (we can directly extend this argument to the children of incestuous couples) because their kids would be teased and bullied for it, are the people who would be doing the teasing and bullying of said kids

yes. unfortunately, when the more logical arguments fail, people are still gonna fight reality like fish on land. just accept reality and grow up past personal taste and religious beliefs

Showing 16-24 of 24