ForumsProgramming ForumFlash or HTML 5?

5 7124
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

So I'm really really wanting to start making games, especially the type that I can put here on Armor Games. Before I start learning how, though, I want to know what to use, first. I realize that almost all games on here are in Flash, but I also realize that Flash is being discontinued in a couple of years and I don't know if there will be any common emulators or anything to play flash games with. That's why I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and use Flahs since it's what everything else runs on or get ahead and just use HTML 5.

Thanks

• 5 Replies
BalkanRenegades
BalkanRenegades
824 posts
Treasurer

Just use HTML5. It's very easy to learn, it's practical and it's becoming more and more relevant as an engine for creating online games.

Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

There are pros and cons to each way of making a game.

HTML can't do anything on its own, it needs some sort of a script to make things happen. If you go HTML, you would need to learn JavaScript, and CSS. You would need to modify your HTML to fit in each webpage you put it in.

Flash puts everything together and executes it, so all you would need to do is create the SWF and from there it is embeddable into any website; but flash will be discontinued, so that's a gamble.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

@TheMostManlyMan, I would prefer HTML 5. With flash getting discontinued, I think it is better to go with HTML 5 as a long term decision. Also, for some reason you get delayed, it wont be any problem because if you use flash and there is a delay and it gets discontinued, all your efforts would go waste.

alexdebiann
alexdebiann
10 posts
Nomad

Adobe Flash is older than HTML5, but it is losing ground every day. Not only big companies like Apple and YouTube have decided to drop support for Flash, but new developers have also turned their attention to HTML5.

paulstelian97
paulstelian97
1 posts
Nomad

You can still develop in Flash just fine, the only reason I can play Flash games on MS Edge, on Mac (Big Sur even), is because Armor Games has a Flash emulator on their site. Just know that on most other sites it won't work because those would actually serve the Flash file to a browser that doesn't know how to deal with them anymore.

Showing 1-5 of 5