ForumsThe TavernI'm going to finally ask it... What's with all the disqus bots?

2 6111
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,780 posts
Chamberlain

I've been noticing for maybe even years now that every so often, sometimes every few days, sometimes only every few months, random comments that I've made throughout the years get randomly upvoted by users with incoherent names. The comments that get upvoted seem to have nothing in common with each other. One time it might be a comment I just made on someone's profile and other times it's a comment I made on a game 5 years ago. The only thing that seems consistent is that it seems to happen more or less often based off of my activity. If I don't log in for months then I may only get one or two comments upvoted, but if I have an active streak then it happens far more often.

I realize this may or may not be more appropriate in a different forum, but honestly this is more of a random rant and hopeful conversation starter than a complaint.

• 2 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

It's disqus spambots. There's loads of them. If you click on any of them and then check their description box on the left, it usually contains a link to a Russian dating site. Characterised by .ru in the end and a description matching the site (meet etc etc)

I reported it a long time ago but as it's not exactly an AG issue, there's apparently not much they can do

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I've noticed it too, although I can't quite understand the purpose of it. Perhaps having some "activity" on those spam accounts makes them seem more "legit".

You'll have a post that's like a reply to someone saying "Hello" on you're profile and then the bots will upvote your response. It's clearly out-of-place as why would someone upvote a response to a causal conversation?

There's one post I found that is really odd here (hopefully that link works). The main comment has only 2 upvotes, but the reply two comments down has 55 upvotes. It doesn't make sense.

Showing 1-2 of 2