ForumsThe TavernCrypto miners in games

4 3212
Choreas
Choreas
1 posts
Jester

Hi all,
I noticed it to have become an undisputed practice to include coin miners in games hosted on ag. Here is just one recent example.

I'm opening this thread to check if others are also aware of it and what you think about that. My opinion: I really hate those miners because they are reducing the lifespans of our computers. On integrated graphics (notebook) most of those miners use 90%+ of the gpu.

• 4 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

What evidence do you have that this game is mining cryptocurrency? It just seems like a bad game to do that on. It would be more believable, for example, to do this on an idle game that must be left open in the background in order to progress in the game. But I also don't think this would be an efficient enough way to mine crypto. Far better would be installing malware on people's computers and doing it that way. Of course, I'm not knowledgeable at all on this. These are just my intuitions. But I'd still like to hear what evidence you have for this practice.

Tasselfoot
Tasselfoot
804 posts
Chamberlain

Can you try running the game in Chrome instead of Firefox? We've noticed this game runs poorly in Firefox, but runs smoothly in Chrome. We have not seen anything to indicate that this game (or others) are using your computer as a crypto miner.

IlkerS
IlkerS
21 posts
Blacksmith

As Tasselfoot states, I also experienced that some games in Firefox consumed up to 100% of CPU time but ran in Chrome smoothly, or perhaps even vice versa. It seems to have to do with the particular programming of browsers rather than any crypto mining going on. So before jumping into conclusions one should try perhaps another browser.

topcarsminicab
topcarsminicab
2 posts
Nomad

Can you try running the game in opera instead of Firefox?

Showing 1-4 of 4