ForumsSupport ForumContractions

7 1721
Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

I keep having this problem where I write something in Word, paste it here, and end up with this:

Don't=Donât

Any way to make that stop?

• 7 Replies
kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

that happens to me when I copy things too, the only solution that I know of would be to just type them here.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

I don't think it will mess up if you past it in your about or profile comment. If it doesn't then you could always try to past it in your profile somewhere then recopy and paste it but I am not sure if that would work.

Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion.

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

Copy your words, paste them here, then go to all the apostrophes, delete them, and type a new one in.

This happens with quotation marks, too. The reason is the Microsoft word doesn't just has apostrophes and quotation marks that can face two different directions. So, when you type one, it's not just that character, it's all the formatting code and data that tells it which way to face. When you delete it and type it here, you have the single ' that doesn't use formatting to make it face different directions.

Forums use unformatted text

Word uses word formatted text.

So, again, the simple solution is to retype all the apostrophes.

Hope this helps! (or at least settles some confusion)

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

Lol I messed up so bad.

Here's the revised paragraph:

This happens with quotation marks, too. The reason is that Microsoft word doesn't just have apostrophes and quotation marks, it has ones that can face two different directions. So, when you type one, it's not just that character, it's all the formatting code and data that tells it which way to face. If you copy, paste, delete the apostrophe, and type it here, you have the single ' that doesn't use formatting to make it face different directions.

Sorry about that!

Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

Okay, thanks!

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Another question answered! Thanks for posting the good info guys ;-)

Showing 1-7 of 7