ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3748168
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

You cannot plagerize yourself. The definition of plagerism is to steal SOMEONE ELSE'S ideas.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

So we could use old poems or parts of old poems that we made and submit them for the contest just as long as we made them? That kind of contradicts the rule on page 1: "The poem must be created for this contest"

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Well the poem itself was created for this contest, a few of the lines were not, and I don't think it was intentional.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

When will the judging commence?

MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

I see that the deadline was on September 17, right? As I understand it, judging usually occurs 2 days after the deadline, give or take. Since there has been no sign of Parsat yet, I would be happy to judge the contest for you if there has been no judging by tomorrow. That is, of course, if that's okay with everybody? It's fine if you don't want me to judge. I've never participated before, so that would make sense.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I see that the deadline was on September 17, right?

For the submission of peices. For judging, the time frame is indefinite. Its taken to the extreme of several weeks when Strop was doing it (true story bro). I'd rather they take awhile and make it a good one, then do it 15 minutes after the round closes.

As I understand it, judging usually occurs 2 days after the deadline, give or take.

You must have understood wrong.

Since there has been no sign of Parsat yet, I would be happy to judge the contest for you if there has been no judging by tomorrow

Parsat is in college; he has more important things to do then flatter us with his prescence.

Also:

I've never participated before

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is one of my pet peeves. Ironic then, that I'm suppossed to judge the Haiku contest. :/
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

Well, I've semi returned, and if it's all right with the contestants if Parsat doesn't show up in the next little while I'm sure I can find time to cobble something together. Believe it or not despite being in university I find I have a bit more time on my hands.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Hey guys, I will volunteer to judge this round as the winner of last weeks. If you all are ok with it, then submit possible topics on my chat so that I could present one.

That is, if you are all okay with it...

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

If Parsat hasn't judged by 11:59pm AG time Tuesday (10 days after the extended contest deadline ended), then someone else should judge. That rule's not official or anything, but (to me at least) allowing someone 10 days for judging seems like a reasonable amount of time.

MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

For the submission of peices. For judging, the time frame is indefinite. Its taken to the extreme of several weeks when Strop was doing it (true story bro).
You must have understood wrong.

Oh, sorry. I was looking at the tenure of Wolf1991 as judge. He tended to judge 3-5 days after deadline, and I assumed that was par. Apparently he's some kind of freakish superjudge, yeah? I didn't mean to subvert anyone's authority or anything.

I'd rather they take awhile and make it a good one, then do it 15 minutes after the round closes.

I agree.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is one of my pet peeves. Ironic then, that I'm suppossed to judge the Haiku contest. :/

What do you mean?
TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Wolf! You're back!

Honestly, I'd prefer it if someone who's been here for a while judges. Like Wolf.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Let's all wait until Parsat makes a post, yes?

Unless he decides to abdicate his position, we have no right to simply nominate another judge. The max was a few weeks? It has been one week so far, patience is a virtue.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Unless he decides to abdicate his position, we have no right to simply nominate another judge.

It's called a militarized overthrow of the current government. If we win you will be labeled enemy of the state. I suggest you join, or die
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Let's all wait until Parsat makes a post, yes?

I second this motion.

*gavel gavel*

We are now in line for a speaker in negation of this bill.
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

I second this motion.

Can I filibuster this bill?

Congressmen and women, today we are gathered to vote on whether or not we should wait for Parsat to return to the forum in order for us to determine a winner from the Poetry Contest contestants (try saying that three times fast). However, we will not do so because I am delivering an overblown and completely unnecessary speech so that you all fall asleep and just completely forget what we were going to vote on. To do so, I will discuss about everything and anything BUT this poetry contest.

In the year 2000, George W. Bush was elected president because Florida had a corrupt governor. Now, we have two wars, thousands of deaths, and thousands of troops overseas. This concludes the politic part of my filibuster.

Hopefully, the New York Yankees do not win this years World Series. They have only bought the talent and do not deserve it. I mean, they already have the most WS trophies than any other team...

Hopefully, scientists are able to invent a type of cheese which will be able to mutate itself into a cure for cancer. "Why cheese?" you might ask. The answer is that that was the first thing that came to my mind, and I didn't feel like typing any longer words, which is totally defeated by the fact that I am continuing this paragraph.

Hey, did you know that I am good on going off on a tangent? There was this one time where I was eating an ice cream cone, when I remembered something about someone, and then I remembered that rainbows could be figured out by the pattern ROY G. BIV. After that, I finished my ice cream and I promptly got another, and ate that...

Hopefully, you have all forgotten what we wanted to actually accomplish.

We are now in line for a speaker in negation of this bill.

Can I be the speaker? I would like to prevent more votes on this issue
Showing 3106-3120 of 3868