ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3746451
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

Summer

Summertime lovin'.
Who can forget the weather
When it is so hot?

Yeah, I know, it sucks. Dont even bother grading it. It sucks. I'm better at haikus, guess I really just dont care enough today to actually make a poem so...DEAL WITH IT!

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

Within the Garden

What silence this? Unlooked for bliss;
Amid tender garden, your look does harden.
And then in moonlight's glow softens.
So sweet a form I have not seen,
From one ocean to the next
And all the shores between.

Hush. Let silence wrap us close.
Let the moon be our only guide.
Ah! Warm embrace, tender parting lips.
The west wind stirs gilded locks of hair,
Oh so entwined... So beautiful.
Eyes locking, all is silent, no talking.
No words spoken, lest this moment be broken.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

We should just have any one judge for three or four rounds, then automatically switch. Possibly a rotation, I don't know. All I know, and this is definitely from firsthand experience, is that all judges eventually find their way out sooner or later. Some it is sooner, others later. I think unreliable, and quite frankly hectic judging with the constant requirement for somebody else to have some initiative is the main reason the contest is fizzling, though it is following the trend in the community as a whole.

As yet another formerly unreliable judge, I agree with this as well. And as Parsat said I cannot believe we didn't think of this sooner >_>
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Hey, yeah I know I'm REALLY late in seeing the other few pages....

But it's a good thing Gantic took away the merit.

Skeleton, no REAL offense to you but your lack of experience is appalling and the fact that Nicho or Mav let you take the place of a judge is just horrid. Shame on both of them for not holding this contest in higher regard.

As soon as a merit reward came about, that took this contest to a different level from all of the others. It shouldn't be like the other silly contests there are here. If a MERIT (Note, A merit is for being an outstanding AGer, not some newb who was lucky) is awarded, it's for a reason. The sight of this thread is pitiful. It's a shadow of what it used to be.

Again Skeleton, I don't have any opinion of you personally, but you have no thread to show me your poetry or anything artistic about you, and that's like having an engineer perform a heart transplant. You just don't freaking do that.

Mav and Nicho should have waited for one of the two, or try to get a previous judge to fill in. Not just wave a flag and let the bystander take it.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

This contest always had a merit. Please note that a decision will be made next week where it will have been one month without a merit prize.

I am an engineer and I can totally not perform any of the medical stuff Strop can perform.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

This was horrible D:

fighting the wars
slamming on all the doors
killing inncocent people
in war no one is equal
there will be many sequels
and way to many prequels

independence is a lie
they just want us all to die
they cannot be trusted
their skilled are rusted
i can see through their crap
i can even turn it into a rap

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Well, it sounds to me that I'm no longer wanted in this position... and seeing as there are only three entries this round anyway, I believe that for the better of this contest, the best thing I can do is extend the deadline another week and step down from my position as judge.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So... Um... Who will be judging then?

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Of gold were the days,
gold and silver,
Long lay the shadow
of a lonely oak tree

In came a maiden
Sunbright, scintillating
delightfully seductive;
She did not turn her head,
Hate still burned her

She lifted her eyes and spoke:
"Why lookest thou at me?
Leave me to rest;
bequeath thy damsel"

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Upon bones lay I,
cool sly and slender,
like a fox i have stolen,
this meal oh so tender,
but who have i to thank,
but this poor wolf slain sheppard,

my freedom oh my joy,
to whom im no defender,
was the dream of he sought a land of splendor,
for fertile soil has made our lives oh so much better,
is fertile from the blood of freedom's own defender.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

dangit i posted for the wrong contest sorry

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Alrighty. You guys really need to figure out a feasible solution for reliable judging. That seems to be the only hurdle.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

It seems that the judge should be a one who can keep calm and make well written post explaining why a entry recived that place that it did,The judge must also have a good eye for a well written piece, but also be able to see how a poem could be thought of in that way or ways.It would be of a smarter idea to choose somone who has a backround in the AM&W overall and one that will be able to be active and check and grade each poem by the end of the time given to the contestants.A Puzzling task indeed to find a being that qualifies under each of the mentioned above.

It seems a good idea that the contestants should choose a person and have a vote at who they wish to be judged by.Then the user must accept the position while realizing the responsibility that they have been given.Untill a new judge has been chosen then Killersup would please like to keep skeleton_pilot as the judge of this contest atleast untill the contestants find a new judge.

The contestants should also be able to take a vote after every other contest's end to see that the judge can keep their position.If the judge does not get a percentage of atleast 50% then they should be discharged.Then the contestants will have to pick yet another user whom they should wish to be judged by.If a new judge cannot be found who not only has a majority or votes not wishes to moderate in this game then the previous judge should be re-enstated upon the contestants.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I wouldn't mind doing it. I've been a judge on other artsy websites and I have a lot of free time. I just don't think most of you would feel comfortable with letting a stranger do it after being here for nearly a month. If there is no one to replace Skeleton_Pilot, let me know.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

What I'll do is I'll leave the judging position open, and if nobody accepts by Friday, I'll judge the contest myself.

And Sal, you are no stranger to any of us! If you think you have what it takes to be the judge of this contest, go right ahead! =)

Showing 3556-3570 of 3868