ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3746401
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Erhn. Grah. I feel like no one can really take the place of the old judges. Maybe that's stubborn, but honestly I don't know any of these new kids and they don't have any threads or anything showing their artistic ability.

No offense to Skeleton, (again) but the reason I said I didn't think you had what it took goes to the same thing for Salvidian. He hasn't been here long, and he doesn't have a thread showing us what he's got. Maybe if you guys posted something, that was your own piece, I could decide if your ability is high enough to judge everyone else's.

But that would be just to please me, not that I matter. I've been extremely inactive as of late. I would like to change that but I make no promises.

Salvidian, maybe you could link some sites, and we can see your judging ability.

Sorry if I'm being difficult. But, if you want to up the quality you have to be a bit stricter.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Boo, we just have to let people try don't we? My dear four-post in a row otter?

I still second Skele as judge. If people can't be arsed to post, it's not his fault, it has been going downhill for a long time, this is just a symptom.

Might do a piece later.....

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

No offense to Skeleton, (again) but the reason I said I didn't think you had what it took goes to the same thing for Salvidian. He hasn't been here long, and he doesn't have a thread showing us what he's got. Maybe if you guys posted something, that was your own piece, I could decide if your ability is high enough to judge everyone else's.

Just because somone can write a poem or two really well doesn't mean that they know what good art is.There is a huge difference between being able to write good poetry and judging good poetry.

Why don't we let Sal be the judge for this contest for a week or two and see how it goes.If it goes badely then hopfully skeleton will still be able to judge for us for a while intill we find a better/new judge.If Sal does well however then he should be able to keep his job intill less then 50% of people are happy with how he is judging or if he wishes to step down.If that is the case then a new judge should be chosen.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

I take issue with your proposed method, Killer. While I agree that contestants should have a say in the judge, I do not believe there should be a vote every round, that's far too messy. I do, however, suggest we switch judges every month; perhaps not a brand new person, but at least a list of people to cycle through.

All that being said, should we come to no concensus on a judge I would be more than willing to step in. While I was unreliable in the past I've returned, mostly in the form of stalking all of you. Point being, I fit into the proposed criteria for a judge. Furthermore, it might appease some of the old timers who are a little antsy about having little to no proof on what exactly qualifies someone to judge.

Arrrogant rambling aside, I think Skeleton should ride this one out and we can decide either now, or next week who picks up afterward, if anyone at all.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I couldn't care less about judging. Everyone seemed to want a new judge but no one was volunteering. I still want Skele or someone else to do it, but no one seemed to have the same opinion as me. Like I said, you haven't seen any of my experience, so I understand why you may not be comfortable with me judging.

Due to my current situation with my internet, I cannot link to any of the other sites I judged on. I get charged for the amount of memory I have to load, and the websites take a lot of memory to load, which, of course, results in a massive bill.

I'll be sure to create a thread sometime today, or maybe tomorrow. It's something I've been looking forward to! But until then, Skele should judge. To be honest, I'd love for Nichodemus to judge, though I understand that may be hard for him because he has to type everything with his phone.

The voting thing looks to be a good idea, but it is messy, as wolf1991 said. I think it would be necessary for a routine judge-witch.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Boo, we just have to let people try don't we? My dear four-post in a row otter?

I'm sorry! I kept refreshing it and it finally popped up FOUR TIMES.
Grr Nicho > >

I would love for Wolf to judge again. In my opinion, the best people here were Parsat, then Wolf.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

While I agree that contestants should have a say in the judge, I do not believe there should be a vote every round

Killersup ment to write every two rounds.two rounds are about a month......
TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Yaaaaaaaay Wofleh.

I agree with having Wolf judge. Call me stubborn, but I think he would do a better job than any of the new judges. He did a great job for the length of time he judged previously.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Maybe if you guys posted something, that was your own piece, I could decide if your ability is high enough to judge everyone else's.

Simon Cowell is not a singer, but he knew enough about singing to judge American Idol during the seasons it actually mattered.

Writing poetry and judging it are two entirely different skills... you don't need the same level of creativity to recognize and appreciate poetry as you do to actually create it. Since nobody has said one bad thing about my judging so far, I don't see why you are suddenly doubting my ability to judge poems just because I myself don't write poetry.

I'm willing to step down after this round so we can cycle in more judges if they are willing, but the criteria you've set is ridiculous... if contests worked like that, the judges for dog shows would all be... dogs.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Skeleton, you have no idea the level of talent and skill there was before you got here. You do NOT want me to tell you about your judging skills. If you do, contact me via profiles instead of here.

It is sudden because no one has put up anything at least before I got here.

With a merit being taken away from this contest, it's just like any other contest.

The criteria isn't ridiculous, considering there is a lack of criteria at the moment.

That's a crappy comparison, bee tee dubs. ( the dog one)

Well Simon could tell you what note you were hitting, if you were out of tune, etc. All you do is praise people for posting, not critiquing their pieces. A bunch of good jobs and pats on the back even if you lose don't reinforce that fact that you lost the game.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Well, if you truly believe my judging skills are not good enough for this contest, I will kindly step down and allow someone more qualified to replace me. I can see why an untalented stranger like myself judging this contest would make some of the more experienced contestants uncomfortable. I took the position to help the contest get back on its feet, but it appears I've sparked even more controversy by doing so!

Sorry for the inconvenience I've caused. As of now, I am no longer affiliated with this contest.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the inconvenience I've caused. As of now, I am no longer affiliated with this contest.

Bah, rather than doing that, how about you enter a piece every once in a while? That's much more constructive. It's the contestants that make a contest, not a judge.

I feel like picking up a gavel for the first time in ages, at least for a round. Anyone disagree or agree?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Just let Skele finish this round. He set the topic after all.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Oreo, if you're willing to do an in-depth crit, I'm all for you. :P

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Gaaaaaaaaaaaa. This thread is making me made because no offense you are all being idiots.

First let's start with you Moon. You are shooting to high. Yes there were great judges in the past. They are either not active now or not active enough or don't really give a crap about the contest anymore. And let's assume for a second that these people were still around or still cared. One day they would fall dead and we would be where we are now. If no new person is judging how do you expect other people to get good at judging? O wait, they will not. So chill Moon. Let Skeleton judge longer. I have seen a lot worse judging in the past. And maybe will more time Skeleton gets better.

Now for you people trying to find a good way to judge. No one will be around forever. What we need is a judge that knows when he will want to stop. He/she can then choose a new judge after having time to think it over and maybe even give some tips on how to do some good judging.

At Skeleton now. Your judging isn't the best but I have seen worse. Maybe we do need praise for people that do post in here and you seem to be supplying that. You could though maybe try and write more about the flow and style and what you liked and didn't like. People need to give you time though. Maybe look what the people that Moon likes did.

So for the judging. Let Skeleton judge this round. I think he is a reliable judge that could be improved on. If you guys really hate him though you can let Sal try. I would say Oreo too but he doesn't seem to be wanting to do it for awhile.

Showing 3571-3585 of 3868