ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4217441
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Curse you, Adobe art programs. I even downloaded GIMP for this >.<

Pois0nArr0w
Pois0nArr0w
2,053 posts
Nomad

I iz so ANGRYZ! I cant find a stupid pencil with a stupid eraser soz I can erase the stupid legs on the monster in my pic!!! it looks like a poorly drawn, overweight, anthro-horse!!!

LufffiStudios
LufffiStudios
1,420 posts
Nomad

Fairy tales and adventures? If I don't at least make the top three, I will either get swine flu or die. Basically that may be the same thing. This is pretty much my alley, thanks for making this the theme.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Keep in mind that I have no experience drawing with a touchpad (no, I don't have a mouse) and I've never drawn a mazzelh before. This one has no legs :|
If I was to Write A Book Featuring a Mazzelh, Then This, Pray Tell, Could Very Well be the Cover of Said Volume

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8757/eventyr.png

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Alt, since you got the DM by submitting something like that with such a carelessness, we will give you a nice little PENALITY:

QUE? Tu hablas no DM!! TU ES LOCO!!!!

So there is a DM hey...? Well...I have placed the last 4 weeks...(including champions exhibit)...so I should try for winning....
thiswontwork
thiswontwork
127 posts
Nomad

Ahh i've got a great idea ( well, i think so).
Have to start drawing after school...

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I didn't even start on my entry for the last round. Then again, I've only made like 3(?) posts in the past week.

One of my idiosyncrasies, or at least a defining characteristic, is the tendency to ask for specifics, like with this theme. Actually, no, not exactly with this theme. Or maybe yes.

How exactly would you describe "fairy tale"? Would it necessitate the inclusion of some fantastic creature? Mystical element? Anachronistic fashion? Peculiarities? Subtleties? Sword and sorcery? Fantasy without the science?

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Hmm.....I dunno Gantic. I mean, most of the fairytales I know have some kind of magic or evil witch or dragon in them. Even Little Red Riding Hood has a talking wolf...

I think you will probably have to have something mystical...but I don't really know.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

@Alt:
Oh the fail in translating...

@KR:
Occasionally there is the DM. Not often.

@Gantic:
Fairy Tales as in fairy tales. Little Red Riding Hood, the Ugly Duckling, that guy with the bean stake...
Those kind of fairy tales. It does not have to include any existing fairy tales, but it would be nice to get the feeling of fairy tale somehow.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

As to whether "mystical" things need to be included for it to be of fairy tale material: No. It isn't needed, it is just common.

You know the tales of Grimm? The two brothers who collected a bunch of old stories and wrote them down? That collection is fairy tales, of fairly different kinds...

It is a story telling genre... Nowadays somewhat rarely expanded upon, but it is a genre.
You could also just go literal and make an adventure tale about a fairy. > >

@alt:
Where you trying to write "That is the fairy tale/adventure of a Mazzelh"?

thiswontwork
thiswontwork
127 posts
Nomad

35% of the painting done. Enough for today. ( God, it's really hard to draw something nicw with GIMP.)

Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant

Omg, impossible theme w/potatoes.
Okay, I'll have to dig deep into my brain to find an idea... ArGa! I'm working on a game called ArGa which is an adventure game which could pretty much symbolise the theme. But the fairy tale...? ARGH!

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Hey, did anyone like mine?

Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant

Phew... finally done. This took a mere 45 minutes to find the pics and textures, re-trace, and finish the touches with complexity. I hope you enjoy it.

Get ready for the adventure...
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9518/adventurevf.jpg

Well, screw ArGa. I'll have another oportunity. I have an idea for the next theme Cen. What about Celebrities?

Anyway that was my credit. I put lots of effort in this one, so "vote" fair!

*mumbles something strange in foreign language*

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Maybe, Ogt. We'll see about that. And good to have you back in the competition as well.

And as promised (I think), another preview to my entry.
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/didsomeonesayadventurefatcopy.jpg

Oddly, that dress actually doesn't look half bad on him.

Showing 4246-4260 of 6854