ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4140841
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Probably because saying "a gantic" is objectivising a person; a person who is normally vibrant. Saying "a gantic" would be putting Gantic as an object; void of any purpose save for the namesake and raiment of an artwork being "a gantic" itself.

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Alt,

if that were true, then he would be upset when my entry was called "a gantic," however, as he stated he was not. So there is something else bugging him...

*scratches chin in a thinking manor*

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Probably because while Gantic's entries have a profound meaning behind them that not everyone is able to figure out, while Shin's is not a pic with a deeper meaning behind it. . .so the generalization would be incorrect, wildly so, and therefore offensive.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I would think the comparison made between Shin's entry and a car crash as well as calling it a 'gantic' in the very same line might be a bit ... Ehm... According to sentence, a 'gantic' is potentially = car crash.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Well, whatever the reason I am sorry to you Gantic, and I'll be sure to use the phrase "Pulled a Gantic" more accordingly.

As a note, when I say "Pulled a Gantic" it's normally because I don't really understand what something, or a picture, means. Mainly because Gantic has had that effect on me for about 7/8 of his entries here.

Also his writings.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

This is seriously what my dreams are like. The tunnel never ends. *crying and laughing at the same time*

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Gamer4Life12345/hallucinating3-Deffect.jpg

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Didn't you make that for something else though, samdawghomie? One of the rules is that the picture mst be drawn for this competition. I noticed you posted that one in the thread you started way before you posted it here, so... Just questioning if you actually made it for this theme.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

I didn't make for a specific theme, I just thought it be a creepy dream.

Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1746/image38.png

My entry

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Interpretation. . .is a funny thing.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1121/anotherentryforme.png

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I don't do digital abstracts. (ShintetsuWA) I don't do pure abstracts. (thisisnotanalt) I don't even do abstract abstracts. It's like saying a sociopath pulled a thoad after going on a killing spree. (Note the use of buzzwords.)

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I haven't visited this thread in over a week but I see some crazy stuff, so coming back was worth it.

I don't do pure abstracts

I feel this is something that is both important and grossly underappreciated. With arguably one or two exceptions (like the Gantt chart which really doesn't count), none of Gantic's submissions on this forum have been abstract. To quote from the article I just linked to:

Abstract art uses a visual language of form, color and line to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world.

Gantic's submissions have this in common: they emphasise a component of visual reference to the world, therefore they are, by definition, not abstract. If anything what throws most people is that he works with puns and riddles (both visual and verbal), or seeks to express using unique and experimental techniques.

The closest I'd say he has gotten to it would be "quasi-surrealist", like that crazy hair-waterfall piece a while back.

Therefore, &quotulling a Gantic" should only be used if one has used some extraordinarly witty (or corny, or obscure) pun/riddle, or has gone out of their way to use an unrecogniseable technique.

Hope I'm not overstepping my mark here.
thingthingfreak
thingthingfreak
1,523 posts
Nomad

This is seriously what my dreams are like. The tunnel never ends. *crying and laughing at the same time*

That is extreamly creepy.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

The closest I'd say he has gotten to it would be "quasi-surrealist", like that crazy hair-waterfall piece a while back.

You mean this one made by Your's Truly?

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/ShintetsuWA/Sig202.gif

I tried entering it in the animation contest, but Zoph caught me, knowing I already made it :P

Pretty cool "dream" pics. Now I know what's expected in a contest, even though they get humorous, like the Hitler one XD
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

No that's not abstract at all, ShintetsuWA. If you take notice, I was only talking about Gantic's works in that post!

Showing 3901-3915 of 6854