ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4217389
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

fine, for all you lazies out there Here's the fraking link

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I lol'd at the fourth panel. It was funny how you drew the "that's what she said" guy with his eyes all wonky, if made it all the more satisfying when thoad knifed him and stuff.
thanks for the fraking link.

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

I started drawing. Then it morphed into my vision of what thoad looks like. Then I colored it. Decided it was beyond my normal drawing capacity. So I decided I couldn't have drawn it? I don't know haha I'm just trying to make it fit the theme.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/Cholokid34/staredowncopy-1.jpg?t=1237603506

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

There's a big non-sequitur in between panels 2 and 3...I appreciate that the "that's what she said" joke is often used in that manner but it only works if continuity is preserved elsewhere.

Anyway, here's a picture without words from me:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/wtfdraw.jpg

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Dang it Strop. You make me feel like I'm made of fail. Not cool.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

There's a big non-sequitur in between panels 2 and 3...I appreciate that the "that's what she said" joke is often used in that manner but it only works if continuity is preserved elsewhere.

You know strop, half the time you make me feel stupid because whenever you direct a comment towards me the only thing I can say is "whut?", but I can only assume that you're saying that the "that's what she said" joke is to a point where you start saying something that can be taken sexually, and then that's how it's implemented, in sake of my brain and my fingers, I didn't write it (I do so hate writing, when it's not with a keyboard) to where the "that's what she said" joke comes in. I mainly just chose that because it's insanely overused, and completely stale.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Eh, sorry guys, I mistimed my post.

Thoad, you're smart, I'm sure you can understand what I'm saying. Non-sequitur, translated simply, means "doesn't follow". You're right in that the "that's what she said" joke is now overused and stale, so these days the only time it's used effectively is when in fact there is a certain appropriateness to it (i.e. when the phrase actually has some bearing to the subject at hand). xkcd has implicitly pointed this out in a strip a while ago, actually...

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I agree with Strop on that...It doesn't really make too much sense...

And the 'thats what she said' joke is fairly old and stale...but I don't see how that fits to the theme....

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Thoad, you're smart, I'm sure you can understand what I'm saying. Non-sequitur, translated simply, means "doesn't follow". You're right in that the "that's what she said" joke is now overused and stale, so these days the only time it's used effectively is when in fact there is a certain appropriateness to it (i.e. when the phrase actually has some bearing to the subject at hand). xkcd has implicitly pointed this out in a strip a while ago, actually...

Who's that? and I mainly just cut into the conversation between the neighboor and I (I did not actually attack him with a knife, but if it really matters to all of you, I was talking about assembly of a bed and "Slot a to slot b" and he said "yeah that's what she said" instead of killing 'im, I just walked away with a grunt)
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

xkcd = geek webcomic. Was a very big thing but I no longer read it.

So maybe it might be worth telling us whether frames 1 and 2 had anything to do with frames 3 and 4?

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

So maybe it might be worth telling us whether frames 1 and 2 had anything to do with frames 3 and 4?

Yes, yes they do.
frame 1: I get pissed off, and a little paranormal stick figure comes out of my monitor (like the one right here > ), saying "never say can't" at me when I say that I can't do it.

frame 2: I think hard about what the stick figure said.

Timeskip

frame 3: talking with my neighboor, he makes a terrible joke that's stale and overused by huge amounts. I have an apathetic look on my face.

frame 4: I suddenly go out and grab him by the neck, with a large knife in my hand, he's yelling "OMG You can't do this!" Linking to frame 1, I yell "NEVER SAY CAN'T"
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

OH!

That explains things greatly. The reason I called it a non-sequitur is because there was no indication that there was a time lapse between frame 2 and frame 3. That's where the art of comic strip framing comes in to play.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

... Is it odd that I immediately knew Thoad had skipped some time?
Like... There was a change of setting and all... Maybe I'm just weird like that. Didn't even think about the lack of indicator before I saw Strop's post... Then again, he does more comic pages than I.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Same here. Nothing confusing to me.
Must be the ... culture.. or nerdyness...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I think the main factor was in that last bit:

Then again, he does more comic pages than I.

I'm used to reading comics as comics i.e. the style and technique matters. Uniform frames almost invariably implies uniform time distribution- in this case I would have expected either something explicit (a small frame that said "some time later", though this would have compromised the punchline), or some change in the frame style- in manga, a concertina of frames would commonly be used, or in this case, putting the bottom two frames in a thought bubble seems to be the strongest approach.
Showing 3541-3555 of 6854