ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 5490180
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Finished. Ended up being very strange but not distasteful.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss36/SpencerCar/ASCentry.jpg?t=1259524520

Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

I don't get it Manta...

lazerlemon
lazerlemon
76 posts
Nomad

its about nazi concentration camps.

Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

But i don't understand why he underlined "ate".

lazerlemon
lazerlemon
76 posts
Nomad

not sure. but his nazi's look good.

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

But i don't understand why he underlined "ate".

Instead of concentration.

It's supposed to imply that the whole "kill the Jews" thing was all a misunderstanding and it was supposed to do with juice instead, but clearly I have failed at getting that across. :/
Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

Ah i see. I don't know a whole lot about that so maybe i wasn't the best one to be seeing the picture. lol

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Well I havent had an entry in a while and since some one else tried to use blender...east thats what it looks like becasuse of blenders default blue background I figure why not ill make a quick one in blender too>

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/333/d/1/Monkey_Juice_by_Hectichermit.png

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Monkey+ Juice= a Drug concoction, Juice has several references to drugs...

lazerlemon
lazerlemon
76 posts
Nomad

nice monkey juice.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

hectichermit did you use the default monkey head 3D shape in your image? I think I had a discussion with Zophia once where she said that she didn't want people using that in the competition. Just trying to make sure here.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

yea pretty much the default, but hey are you going to take off for using default cubes...hmmm, then again the default isnt orange and has a gaping mouth,lets see mine is also smoother then the original(has more vertices) default is really a matter of opinion but with most 3D software you have to start with a primitive(basic polygon that comes with the software). Anyways I would like to see that discussion, or was it on an IM, if you really want to be technical..that is numbers and such it is not the same...but pretty close. If you can replicate this monkey with ease then by all means you can say its an illegitimate copy of the default monkey. Sorry 4 the rant just I have had this type of discussion before( grrr 3D haters)

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

you have to start with a primitive(basic polygon that comes with the software)
That exactly. Not something as complex as a monkey's head. >_>

I'm not hating on 3D, but I am gonna compare it with 2D - this would be the equivalent of taking a stock photo and editing it, then applying something else to it and call it something you made without mentioning you used a stock photo.

Not sure whether this requires overruling or not. If it had just been a background object I wouldn't have cared, but since it's one of the main focuses of your rendered entry...

Either way, though, you should definitely have mentioned that you used one of the default shapes (that are more than a ball/square/cylinder), rather than just posting and not saying a thing. It's called giving credit, and is something I'll poke people who use special brush sets about too.

*wonders if I should find Blender on my comp again and mess around*
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

well a primitive is just a set of vertices, its a tool that comes with blender its not like I loaded someone else's model and used it but if your not happy about people using the draw circle or square tool, or polygon tools you find in many 2D apps then I might understand why you don't like Suzanne(the name of the monkey)

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/334/5/4/Monkey_Juice_by_Hectichermit.png

Showing 6346-6360 of 6854