ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4232195
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

There's no need to be bitchy about it, remember the idea is to have fun. Some people react differently to different themes and I can't possibly make them all easy, since I don't know how you guys will react before I make them up. Also while my judging has some consistency there's a fair amount of variability in the criteria depending on what does come in.

The "list of jealousy" is not a list of jealousy, but rather the names of all the other contestants...at least I hope I got them all!

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

I am happy with all themes. These are said at my own will. There is no ninja pony standing behind me with a hammer... of the ban variety. I'm happy about getting champions exhibit and not my own little thing that Strop has previously said.

P.s. STROP! GET ONLINE!

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

There's no need to be *****y about it,

I'm not, it's just fun to yank your bra while you were playing dress up with zoph and NoName XDDDD lol, jk. Really though, I see where your getting at, but in my pic (I don't blame you for this) the guy is actually smiling, but since my camera is a tard (This WILL end this x-mas!!!), you can't really see it ^^U
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Well since we're talking about it, I might as well go into specifics: a guy may be smiling and have some thought bubbles and this fits nostalgia, sure. But what's to differentiate this from some other form of fantasy or recollection?

After I picked the topic I realised that I'd actually picked something very very culturally specific. It's a bit like if I'd picked kitsch or shadenfreude or camp for the theme. There are distinguishing features that actually take crafting to evoke.

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Congrats Cenere I liked your art piece best aswell.And as for this theme it should be good.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I know who I missed! fst6, with his generic stickman "God I miss the 80s", hahahahahahaha.

I would have said such an entry was accidentally on the verge of greatness!

Anyway, Merry Christmas, carry on.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

For this next contest I just got Photo Shop so hopefully I can learn about it in enough time to start integrating elements from it into my new entries starting with the next contest.This shall be quite fun.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

Ugh. I just made my entry on paint.net and photobucket doesn't accept .pdn images!!!!!
Anyone know how I can get that to work?

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

Ah nevermind I got it.

Well here is a link to my entry because I already know it will be too big.

It's called : Christmas Without Santa Isn't So Bad.

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Heh nice Kevin its pretty cool I guess.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Alright guys, I'm closing judging in one and a half days because, as you should well know, the next theme is ever pressing upon us!

Since many of us were busy over the hols I should not have to skimp on the judging, either.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I still have no ideas.

But merry Yule to all who reads this~ Even though it's a bit late.

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Woo. Judging is almost here. The next theme should be something along the lines of Epic Online Lulz references. Except no Chuck Norris, that's for everyone's safety.

It would be epic. Hence the epic in the title.

Happy almost New Years!

Oh that's another thing. We could do a theme along the lines of New Years and New Years parties! I'm on a roll.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Alright, here we go!

This time around, since everybody got off the internet and actually spent time with family and at PARTAYs and all that, there were not as many entries except by those who are either extraordinarily fast, gifted with minimalist approaches or bored.

One would think this makes my job easier. Wrong! It was just as difficult deciding what to do let alone how to go about it, as the entries are of their characteristic eclectic nature. One thing I do know is that there is no Champion's Exhibit this week, seeing as Cenere didn't submit an entry, which means I go straight to judgement!

Uhm.

After much deliberation I decided the show must go on and there were a number of rather humorous entries. But even amongst the humorous entries it was a pretty close race. In fact, so close I really couldn't place them apart.

So as a result, I've decided to award a 2-way joint award! Both these entries were both funny and used a popular culture reference to explore different facets of the theme (please forgive the wank, you know it's customary):

The Winners: Cholokid & Crimsonblade55

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/Cholokid34/Untitled-1copy.jpg

What got me was the kicking down the chimney part. Clever blend!

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd349/crimsonblade55/TheSasquatchbeforeChristmas-1.jpg

A Mr. Hanky reference flies in the face of the phrase "naughty or nice". How about both? Nevermind the fact that I just said "nice" in the same sentence as I mentioned a poo...I meant in the "dude that's fully sick" manner, which, if you think carefully enough, it totally is.

I have no idea what to do with the merit for this round since I've awarded 1st place to two people for the first time in this competition. So uh...I'll get back to you on that.

And then another piece of humour grabbed the next spot, which I'm going to have to temporarily rename Runner Up: Kevin44

Click on it!

Now, since I'm not as pressed for time as I was previously, I'll hand out the Honorable Mentions (and make fun of your work if I found it sufficiently odd, heheh).

The Dry Cheese Award: Kingryan

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/kingryanv/moon.jpg

I have never seen a moon quite like this!

The Substitute: Fst6

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/fst6/PAC.jpg

Fst was probably just doing what he normally does but you know, I found this funny for a slightly inappropriate reason.

Warning, link may ruin your childhood

Oh well, probably not as disturbing as a PAC man that magically grows stick legs and arms :P

The True Meaning Of Christmas: Deth4

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo136/deth4/kings.jpg

That's not to say that I'm claiming what the true meaning of Christmas is in any way, or even discussing which bits of folklore regarding Christmas origins are more valid than others, but I was definitely hoping there would be some reflection along these lines, and I got it here!

Digitally Challenged: Gantic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/christmaswosanta.gif

This goes in the "wow, that was too clever for me" basket. It took me some prodding from Gantic's fiction thread Reaching Out and Touching No One to understand how Halloween = Christmas. BUT NOW I GET IT LOL.

And whoa, that was all the entries!? Well I'll take this as a good sign and feel better that I was unable to do an entry myself (go figure). And with that, I'll give you all a new theme that will run extra-long because of my schedule! I should give you all fair warning, I will be overseas and definitely rather internet-less after the 8th until the beginning of February. During this time, I will pass the baton over to somebody else. We'll sort that out when I get the chance.

For now, your new theme!

Theme: New Year's Resolutions
Deadline: 7th January

HAVE AT IT!

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

I won! Yay!

I have a PERFECT idea for this round. Strop be ready.

HAHAAHAHA

Showing 2221-2235 of 6854