The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingAnimation Contest - Theme: Halloween (page 68)

707 330275
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Alrighty, this has been brewing in the artistic minds of a few AGers lately - an animation contest!

Similar to the Art Skills Competition we need a few rules in place (largely copy/pasted, so credits to Carlie for parts of this):
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program (GIMP is a nice free one with a build in animation filter - google it). Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your animation is larger than 630 pixels wide, please provide a link to the animation instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the animation will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week. Unless only one person submits......let's hope that doesn't happen!

Alright, let's see if this kicks off.
First theme will be ~ Jumping.
It's a basic thing to learn in animation, and it can be anything from a pixelated blob performing up/down motions, to - anything jumping.
Like: http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Emote.gif
I don't know who will do the judging yet (will be me, if no one else (like Strop?) decides they'll do it).
Deadline for first round will be October 20th, since animation is a somewhat time consuming process. Go make those pixels jump!

• 707 Replies
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/kingryanv/stickfigurebyerin.gif

There you go Erin! You forgot the last /

Well done for getting that far...I would have got you to use the buttons...but that is harder to explain...

KingRyan

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

lol good ol' pivot.

@esuna: nobody got hit though...if only my computer didn't lag so much, then I could show you what actually happens after. It's a game of capoeira.

I think I'll shrink the working copy and finish it! Eventually.

Esuna2400
Esuna2400
625 posts
Nomad

OOOOOOH CAPOEIRA... -caps sosz-
lol, im guessing the omg was just for an ending.... i can imagine the working copy being aweshum..

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

ok, I got a totally brilliant Idea, but I SERIOUSLY need a proper tutorial on how to do animation, can ANYONE, ANYONE help me...? PLEASE?! I would srsly love to do this, but dude! PLEASE, TEACH ME KR! I'LL QUIT CALLING YOU A BOGAN!!!
WAAAAAAAALLLLRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS~!!! *sobbing* why!? why did you leave me walrus! You idiot! NOOOO *more sobbing* YOU'LL DIE YOU NAZI BASTARDS!!! WAAAAAAALLLRRUUUUUUUUSSSS

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHahahahahahHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at that...Thoad on his knees...begging for help!

GROVEL!!!

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Look at that...Thoad on his knees...begging for help!

Don't flatter yourself, I'm not on my knees. lol. Though I really would like you to help, since your the only one who knows how to GIMP animate.

GROVEL!!!

hmm, how about...... GRAVEL!!!!!!!!!
*throws a gigantic piece of gravel at you*
lol.
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I don't use GIMP all that much for animation...this was made in GIMP:

*oh noes photobucket is down*

Try using Pivot...that is your best bet...

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Actually I think a number of users here use GIMP. I'm one of them.

The process is simple: just remember that a frame is a layer. When you save as a .gif, make sure you nominate a time for the frame delay, then go back and optimise it.

Onion-skinning is made possible in GIMP by changing the layer opacities. I'm under the impression this doesn't affect your final product.

Esuna2400
Esuna2400
625 posts
Nomad

Strop, could you help me touch up on my poses, walking n such that a stick figure needs pleaaseee? Unless ur too busy.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Too busy at the moment- right now I'm finishing this submission after which art = much less.

Update: I'm at 129 frames! Of about 240, probably.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Thank you strop! Thank you very, very much! Now I know where my difficulty was, I didn't know how to save it as animation (/.gif) thanks again strop!
*throws another piece of gravel at KR*

Ok, I'ma fiddle with it a bit and then I'll enact my retarded glory!
MAUAHHAHAHAHAHHA

Aaroniscool
Aaroniscool
254 posts
Nomad

I wanna try!

Maybe this will work...

http://www.doink.com/clips/Thecheat/209324

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

oi i got a pivot thing to post but i dont know how to can you guys help?

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/jaza_m/Pivot.gif

Wasnt ment to go so fast btw =]

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

hmm here it is again (hopefully =])http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/jaza_m/pivv-1.gif

Showing 211-225 of 707