The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingAnimation Contest - Theme: Halloween (page 68)

707 330324
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Alrighty, this has been brewing in the artistic minds of a few AGers lately - an animation contest!

Similar to the Art Skills Competition we need a few rules in place (largely copy/pasted, so credits to Carlie for parts of this):
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program (GIMP is a nice free one with a build in animation filter - google it). Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your animation is larger than 630 pixels wide, please provide a link to the animation instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the animation will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week. Unless only one person submits......let's hope that doesn't happen!

Alright, let's see if this kicks off.
First theme will be ~ Jumping.
It's a basic thing to learn in animation, and it can be anything from a pixelated blob performing up/down motions, to - anything jumping.
Like: http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Emote.gif
I don't know who will do the judging yet (will be me, if no one else (like Strop?) decides they'll do it).
Deadline for first round will be October 20th, since animation is a somewhat time consuming process. Go make those pixels jump!

• 707 Replies
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Ohhhh....lol...

Hmm...Im full of tiredness and warm weatherness...

~kr~

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

So any entries gonna pop up?

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

RRRRRAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGG GUG GUH GUH GUH GUG GUH GUH guh, guh, guh, guh, *wheeze*. . . .*whisper*ow. . .. . .I CAN'T TAKES IT ANYMORE, GIMP TIME!!!

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Hmm...if I enter mine...does that mean I win?

Or..should we move onto the next topic?

KingRyan

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Actually, I'm thinking we should possibly do that...
Okay, still open for entries for the sprite theme, gotta have at LEAST one.... Preferably two...

Meh.
I'm not putting a date on the next one till there's two entries submitted, lets just say they need to be in before December.

THEME: WATER
Questions if you need to know more, please.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

yes, how does I animate on the GIMP?

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Make the animation in the different layers, optimize and go to filter->animation-&gtlayback to see it. Save it as a gif.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Well... You know animations consist of a series of frames, right?
Each frame must be a layer in the image.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Water!

Wow.

That's really really hard.

And worth a shot.

If I have time...exams coming up D:

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@Strop:
Blame Cenere for that theme! Actually, animating a drop or some rain is fairly simple, whereas a body of water is much more difficult to get a sensible animation out of...
Good luck on your exams~

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I has an idea for water. . .but trust me, it'll probably suck.
P.S. I do know the fundamentals of picture animating, as I have done several flip-books. . .pretty much like that only with layers? So do I keep the layers transparent or white? Lol.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

For a .gif animation you'll probably need white background. Though I think it can be done with transparency... I'm not sure how.
But yeah, actually exactly like flip-books.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Is it possible to adjust frame rate in GIMP?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Yes, when you're saving it as .gif:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Screencapture5.png
If that gets cut off, here's a link.
Last step of a tutorial thingy I made...

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Ah. Thanks. Guess I'll have to play around with numbers.

Showing 76-90 of 707