ForumsWEPRThanksgiving?

32 6658
Maria4ever
Maria4ever
79 posts
Nomad

I have wondered what "Thanksgiving" is. I am to lazy to search on Wikipedia for the time being and I want some answers before the Thanksgiving Armatar Contest ends. Please tell me! :-)

Love
-Maria-

• 32 Replies
eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Thanksgiving in the U.S. is Food, Food, Food, Food, Food, Thanks, Food, Food, Food, Food, annnnnd some more food.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Some selections from Wikipedia will explain it pretty well:

"An annual American Federal holiday to express thanks for one's material and spiritual possessions. Most people celebrate by gathering at home with family or friends for a holiday feast... related to the deliverance of the English settlers by Native Americans after the brutal winter at Plymouth, Massachusetts."

So pretty much it is a traditional American holiday that has been celebrated since about America was founded. Kids dress up as pilgrim and native americans and do plays at school. Turkeys are sold in mass quantities. It is just a time to get together with friends and family, and eat TONS of delicious food. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, cranberry sauce, ham, pumpkin pie, apple pie.... and the list goes on. YUM! I am quite looking forward to it, lol.

Led17RUSH
Led17RUSH
39 posts
Nomad

Its a celebration of...well thanks. Began when the pilgrims had a big feast thanking God for letting them cross from Europe to America safely.
Traditionally you have turkey and stuffing and other fine foods.
But that usually depends on what you WANT for Thanksgiving.

Theres a Thanksgiving Armatar Contest?
How do you do it?

ChopstickBoB
ChopstickBoB
142 posts
Nomad

Basically its binge eating in commemoration of our forbearers nearly starving to death.

But not starving to death because of a group of people they would eventually butcher or exile to reservtions in the West.

Also unofficially called turkey day.

That might just be me though.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Basically its binge eating in commemoration of our forbearers nearly starving to death.

But not starving to death because of a group of people they would eventually butcher or exile to reservtions in the West.

Also unofficially called turkey day.

That might just be me though.

Yea pretty much. The original history of what happened has pretty much been completely glossed over.

And people do call it Turkey Day as well =)
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

No offense, but I resent people who call it Turkey Day. Some people don't even eat turkey on Thanksgiving. It's the same thing as Christmas, they don't say "Merry Christmas" anymore, its always Happy Holidays, or Merry Xmas, or other things. What the heck is this? Russia?

And another thing, Thanksgiving started off without turkey, so Turkey day is once again exempt from the legitimate name calling. Just a general term Thanksgiving will do.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Errr, I don't really think it is a big deal. A lot of people just associate the day with turkey. I really don't think anyone means any disrespect by it.

And I thought you lived in Japan? I didn't know they celebrated Christmas and Thanksgiving there.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

It's the celebration of when Indians helped american settlers by giving us a feast and naming it "The great giving" I think,well it was right after our starving time,which,of course,we had no food.

UltraPriest
UltraPriest
41 posts
Nomad

And than we killed them all, to show our thanks.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

And I thought you lived in Japan? I didn't know they celebrated Christmas and Thanksgiving there.

I'm an American Japanese, so I "should" know everything about Thanksgiving. We are also free to our customs and beliefs, which also means we get to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas, while my neighbors fast and celebrate their Shinto beliefs. The one about fasting sort of makes me feel guilty though, its more spirited when there are others around the table other than ourselves. But that is why we move down to America to celebrate; we wouldn't want to feel guilty.
GreatestSoloEver
GreatestSoloEver
1,361 posts
Nomad

Yes we did.
UltraPriest
UltraPriest
41 posts
Nomad

I'm an American Japanese, so I "should" know everything about Thanksgiving. We are also free to our customs and beliefs, which also means we get to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas, while my neighbors fast and celebrate their Shinto beliefs. The one about fasting sort of makes me feel guilty though, its more spirited when there are others around the table other than ourselves. But that is why we move down to America to celebrate; we wouldn't want to feel guilty.

Shinto is such a cool religion. I just love the idea that everything has a spirit and all that.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Consider us the town eccentrics, because we do not have a rock garden =)

As much as I hate to admit so, we did do such a thing. But we didn't kill ALL of the Native Americans, a great number of them are still living and commuting almost exactly like they used to so long ago. And they are also pure-blooded Native Americans as well, still bearing the proud blood of the Iroquois, Ottowah, Mohawk, and others. American law allows the Native Americans to freely commute as they please, so long as it doesn't interfere with the laws itself. (if I remember correctly) But yeah, getting down to the point, if it wasn't for those selfless Native Americans, we probably wouldn't have Thanksgiving to begin with. Remember that the first Pilgrims, when landing in the Americas, were on the brink of death, with no food, and little water.
UltraPriest
UltraPriest
41 posts
Nomad

As much as I hate to admit so, we did do such a thing. But we didn't kill ALL of the Native Americans, a great number of them are still living and commuting almost exactly like they used to so long ago. And they are also pure-blooded Native Americans as well, still bearing the proud blood of the Iroquois, Ottowah, Mohawk, and others. American law allows the Native Americans to freely commute as they please, so long as it doesn't interfere with the laws itself. (if I remember correctly) But yeah, getting down to the point, if it wasn't for those selfless Native Americans, we probably wouldn't have Thanksgiving to begin with. Remember that the first Pilgrims, when landing in the Americas, were on the brink of death, with no food, and little water.

I think the world would be better if Christopher Columbus was smarter and actually went to India.
And while there are still Native Americans alive, more than 95%, maybe even 99%, were killed, and they're land taken over. THEY should have rule of America. I would rather have a Native American president than a black president, much more than a white president, because they suffered the most for this country.
Maria4ever
Maria4ever
79 posts
Nomad

Oh.
I see. :-) I have one more question! When is Thanksgiving?

Showing 1-15 of 32