ForumsWEPRSicko

10 4125
chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

I saw a documentary yesterday about american health insurance called "Sicko." It told several stories about poeple who were destroyed by health insurance. One person cut off the tips of two fingers. His insurance gave him the option to put on his ring finger for 12000 dollars or his middle finger for 60000 dollars. He put back his ring finger. In another country with socialized health insurance, somebody lost ever finger on one hand and got them all put on for free. Another case was about a little girl who went deaf. The insurance would only pay for one ear. The person had sent out an email (along with 2500 others) to the moviemakers that stated that the health insurance was abusing her. She sent another e-mail to the insurance company saying that you have a chance of being critisiced in a film for what they did. Shortly after, the insurance company called back saying that they would do the other ear. Yet another story states that a man was dying from cancer, and he needed a bone marrow transplant. His youngest brother was the only perfect match. The insurance would not approve the transplant and he died. Another story is about a little girl who was dying. Her mother took her to the nearest hospital, but the insurance said that the procedure had to be done at the other hospital, that was owned by the company. After she was transported it was too late and the child died. Another story stated that most 9/11 workers and police could not get insurance for the damage they took excavating and cleaning. And on an island near cuba (American soil) terrorists were held in a prison. This prison had free top quality heath care, better than a hospital. When the diirector took several people over to the island, including 3 9/11 workers to get health care, they were chased off the island. They went to cuba (and all were American citizens that were never at cuba) for health care. One woman got an inhaler usually $120 in america for 5 cents (US dollars) They went to a hospital and recieved top quality care for free (and they weren't cubans.)
Amother point was brought up about the fact that Most countries (including cuba, france, canada, and other countries with socialized health care) poor people lived at least 3 years longer than american rich people.
Another point was that doctors get paid equally or more in a socialized health care society.
Another point is that American insurance is out to get your money. They will only take the healthiest people. Then they will do everything in their power to deny you care. If they do approve you, there is a person who looks in the medical history and tries to find some way they could reverse their decision. An isurance company actually give out a bonus for the peroson who denies the most people. And, most people who work for insurance companies hate their jobs. They admit that they ruin lives and this causes extreme psycological effects. One case was some lady was in a car crash, and her ambulence ride was not insured because she didn't pre-aprove it, even though she was unconcious and her cell lost.
A final point was that america has socialized libraries, fire stations, police stations, public schools, so why not health care?

Wow, that was a lot!

• 10 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I like the idea of socialized health insurance a lot, but I'm not sure our economy can support. I don't mean in terms of where the money would come from, but health care itself is an industry that creates jobs and influences financial circulation. I really have no idea what the ramifications would be when you take away this sector of the economy.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Well, I think it is worth the economal blow to make people healthier and live longer. That way people can use the rest of their life to make more money. And new jobs will pop up due to the need of taxation. We could still use heath care if socialized health care is not an option, but our health care is corrupt.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,269 posts
Jester

120 bucks for an inhaler WTF...

I live in Canada so I get mine free straight from the docters office....

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

See, you have socialized health care. America doesn't. Several people can't afford their medications so they die. It is sad, but all the insurance comanies is your minthly payment, and then they leave you when you need them. I think that it is even sadder that our terrorist prisoners get heath care 3 times as good as a normal american.

billywill
billywill
69 posts
Nomad

Lucky Canadian...i have to pay alot for my inhaler that is crap i meen seriously.

John
John
344 posts
Nomad

I like what Sicko did in terms of bringing attention to a problem, but I think it was WAY TOO dramatic. Healthcare is one of the top issues currently, so I don't think it will be long until we see some change.

I am for universal health care.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,269 posts
Jester

Lol billywill: you know you could always travle to Canada and pick up an inhaler...

Anyway ya it is sad that terriorists get better care then an actule citizin...

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

Wow.......

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

haha poor Americans in England we got free NHS it may be crap but at least its free

Game_Guy121
Game_Guy121
57 posts
Nomad

i agree with John

Showing 1-10 of 10