ForumsWEPR[necro]Physics, anyone?

49 17639
orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Hello, this thread is for people interested in physics. I'm just curious as to how many physics lovers are here on Armor Games.

• 49 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

While physics does put the "fun" in "fundamental", I'm not sure you're going to find too many people that can really have a decent discussion about physics. Are you thinking about a certain branch? Or physics in academia?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

The interesting conjecture type or the boring type people actually use?

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

If you're just looking for people that are fascinated in science.. yeah, over here. Doesn't make for much of an interesting thread without a topic to discuss though =\\

Wigginometry
Wigginometry
689 posts
Nomad

Physics is some pretty bad*** stuff. Is there something in particular you wanted to discuss, I'm up for just about anything.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Well I', studying physics at the moment and it is a key interest of mine but some goes right over my head. (mainly cos my teacher is bad, he'd prefer to watch youtube or Top Gear than teach uslol) but I know a reasonable amount and would love to learn the rest

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

ugh I hate AP physics. Totally not as cool as trig physics.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

My vocation requires a solid understanding of aeodynamics, which is the area of physics which incidently I enjoy most, however generally I don't enjoy science unless I can see a use for it. So much stuff I learnt in school just went in one ear and out the other.

Somecallmetim
Somecallmetim
66 posts
Nomad

I'm not a fan of physics really, but taking my Physical Chemistry course this semester for my bachelors, and well i'm still disliking it but it is rather interesting. Learning about how all of chemistry works and the calculus and physics behind is fascinating.

But most of all I find an interest in stuff like Chaos theory, string theory, super string theory. Sadly I know very little about it. The physics and ideas behind them are extremely complex, and just a tad too much for my comprehension at this moment.

This is why i'm a chemistry major.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

I Love physics. It's really awesome understanding and being able to calculate properties of physical elements in our universe, from massive things to subatomic things. I had to take around 5 or 6 Physics classes. Including 2 quantum mechanics courses. I enjoy it. Thats probably why I like physics based games more than other ones. I think the classical physics courses I had to take were just a requirement for all engineers, and the quantum mechanics courses directly apply to my major, which is electrical and electronics engineering.

Milos
Milos
848 posts
Peasant

I love it. That's why I decided to study electronics. I have 10 in physics by the way I have to brag. : )

Nikola Tesla was born in my country.

Mine too.
Somecallmetim
Somecallmetim
66 posts
Nomad

I am currently neck deep in a Quantum mechanics class in Chemistry and I must say it has reinforced my distaste for physics (sorry for all the hate to you all). I had a poor physics prof my freshman year for my first two semesters, and the realization that physics is just a bunch of equations being manipulated into other equations didn't go off in my head till I was already done with the intro classes.

But I must say after learning quite a bit about Chemistry, going back and actually explaining how a bond works, or why light is emitted using quantum mechanics is interesting. Just not my cup of tea.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I am currently neck deep in a Quantum mechanics class

That sounds delicious. Speaking of quantum mechanics, have you read Stephen Hawking's book the Universe in a Nut Shell? Great Theoretical physics book.
Somecallmetim
Somecallmetim
66 posts
Nomad

That sounds delicious. Speaking of quantum mechanics, have you read Stephen Hawking's book the Universe in a Nut Shell? Great Theoretical physics book.

Sadly no I have not. One of the guys I do undergraduate research with (organic research incase you were wondering) has read it, I should try to snatch it from him when I get a chance this summer.

But the class indeed is delicious, that is if you immensely enjoy calculus (multi-variable mostly) and physics, which both are not my strong suits. But indeed it is extremely interesting.
Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

I'm vastly interested in the application of physics in videogames. As a programmer, I'm still trying to work out my own physics engine...

Physics engines are so much cooler than graphics engines...

orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

I agree, physics engines are fun, but I'm talking about theoretical physics and stuff. You know, Quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle, M-theory.

Showing 1-15 of 49