ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 104723
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

yea if all of you are tired about this topic, I can pick a new one.

*gets hat of topics out*

OK. so. here how its gonna go down

=flashback scenario=

During a test you catch your best friend cheating (the answers are scribbled in a piece of paper in the palm of his hand) However, you don't really care much besides the fact that he will break the curve (meaning the teacher will give less points back due to everyone not doing so good). Everything is fine, until the next day, the teacher has the cheat sheet that your friend had, taped to the board. He then says that if no one steps up to claim it and face the consequences he will fail everyone on that test. That test is the only thing that has the leverage of letting you pass the school year without having to take summer school (below a 75% or C you have to take summer school in my school). Anyway you are faced with a dilemma. Do you turn in your friend who has helped you a lot to get a passing grade, or do you suck it up and take on summer school for him.

For the people who don't like reading:
your bestest friend in the whole world cheated on the test. Teacher wants someone to fess up, if you keep quiet he fails everyone on the test. If you turn your friend, he will probably hate you, and he will probably be expelled for cheating. Then you won't have to take summer school.

discuss.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

go to summer school it is abit of extra work but if you don;t need it (assuming you would have passed the tesy if it was viable) you won;t have to do much. Plus you can hang it over your friends head and make him do stuff

friend who has helped you a lot to get a passing grade

I wonder why he was cheting, should have worked more on his own work than mine.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

it's cause he is cheating O-O

Sorry it's not as good as the one before it... thanks to pixay I had to make it up on the spot.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Sorry it's not as good as the one before it... thanks to pixay I had to make it up on the spot.

I think it is grear and in my defense I asked if there were new situations not to have one right now but hey whatever thanks DDX
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Serve him up on a platter. If he doesn't have the stones to fess up himself, he's not the kind of person I would be friends with.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

High standards huh. These are the responses I'm looking for, not one liners.

Heres my take, I would take up summer school for him, this is because I never forget favors, I don't like to owe people something. It's just a personal choice, has nothing to do with condoning cheating.

Somecallmetim
Somecallmetim
66 posts
Nomad

I'd take summer school. I had a very similar situation occur to me in grade school and I actually did tell on my friends. They have never let me live this down, even now over 10 years later they still remind me. Learned from past mistakes.

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Hey DDX, might be in your best interest to not immediately judge the responses of people participating in a thread based on the discussion of ethics. I'm not sure if there was sarcasm in there, but yeah - when it comes to people I spend time with on a regular basis, I have *very* high standards. I don't have many friends, but the ones I have are ones I'll have for life.

As for it being a 'one liner' it's terribly simple question, and you got a simple answer. I won't be back.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Arg, I meant to say that everyone's responses were very very good! I especially enjoy yours because your posting reminds me of mine sometimes, very reserved and very concise. I really like everyone's posts. The point of this thread is to make you think about decisions and compare your ethics with everyone else's. I will not judge you on your decisions because I am human too. I will give my response after someone has responded to my question that I have posted. Sorry if I offended anyone. I appreciate everyone's good insight.

New question by tonight or tomorrow.

-D to the X

paintballer222
paintballer222
565 posts
Nomad

I would go to summer school but then talk to my freind and tell him that he should tell the teacher what he did and try to make it all better.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

It is time to elect the world leader, and yours is the deciding vote. Here are the facts about the three leading candidates:

Candidate A: He associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologers. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks up to ten Martinis a day.

Candidate B: He was ejected from office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a large amounts of whisky every evening.

Candidate C: He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and hasn't had any extra-marital affairs.

-Jack London, 1993 "Questionable Ethics"

who would you choose?

and onto the second Question, as to make you think some more (sorry!)

If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had eight children already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis, would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Start thinking! and respond!

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Most likely i'd go with candidate C, but since life has a nasty way of biting you in the ass when you least expect it therefore turning C into the worst candidate, so i'd also have A as a back-up.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I would recommend that she has an abortion, because either this woman has the worst luck in the world or either her or her partners DNA code is screwed up beyond belief to create mutations like that, another reason is that considering that she already has to take care of so many kids who are disabled, it is highly unlikely that she would be able to take good care of the newborn. 2 healthy children out of 8 isn't a very good statistic.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Hmm using your head, I like it.

I would recommend that she has an abortion

I would think the same, because 2/8 is a horrible chance of trying to let a child lead a happy life.

I won't answer the first question. Because it would ruin it from everyone.
paintballer222
paintballer222
565 posts
Nomad

I would totally vote for C. 2nd question i'm totally against abortion. So I would tell her not to.

Showing 31-45 of 340