ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 104738
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
Somecallmetim
Somecallmetim
66 posts
Nomad

I have a feeling I'd help. My conscious would kick in and I would feel the need to help, no matter what they did to me.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I love it guys, you're all really thinking.

Now, here what I think:

When I first posted this question I deliberated with my self to see if I would save him, and it really boiled down to his attitude afterward. I mean if he was ignorant of my dislike towards him, I would probably help him because he would appreciate it, buuut if he knew I hated him and he also disliked me back, I would most likely not help him because he would not appreciate my help. (thats what I think).

new question on friday.

peace out.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

buuut if he knew I hated him and he also disliked me back, I would most likely not help him because he would not appreciate my help

But isn;t there a possibility that he would be so over awed that you helped that he eeerrr... forgave you or wanted to make up (what ever happened between you two). So helping could well... help things.
Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

*yawn*

To the first question about the soldiers that eat you:
I would let my friend die, but do what I can to avenge his death later. I would pay all due respects to him, and visit his grave often.

About the A,B,C question: I would have gone with B, mostly because I don't like soldiers to be leaders. But this one has already been revealed for what it is, no?

About the abortion question: I would let her know that abortion is an option, and remind her to consider the child and how its life might be.
About the final question, I would help him/her. Assuming there is no risk to me. If there is a risk I would wait and see. Assuming that unless you help him he will die, I would help him/her always. But first I would call 911 anyway, in case I or (s)he are seriously injured.

Good moral questions. I spent a while on those.

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

My worst enemy? Well, he's just a jerk but that's it. So yeah.. I'd help him. I wouldn't try to be buddy buddy with him later, and if he was really keen on thanking me or something I'd probably just avoid him.

That's the worst person I know personally though. If it was Osama Bin Laden or something? Well... put it this way - I wouldn't help, but I wouldn't turn a blind eye either...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I gotta agree with Destor, sometime no punishment is the best punishment, but anyway if I knew that the car was going to blow up when I got close to him, let him rot my self preservation instinct kicks in there. As for the No punishment thing, what i mean is what if you hated this dude because he slept with your wife and ruined your marriage and then you saved his stupid ass from certain death think baout how much that would eat away at you. Anyway sorry about the ramble but yeah I might save him, I might not.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Hm.. that is an interesting thing you brought up... Depending on what he did to make you hate him could decide the outcome of his life. I like that.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Lol what can i say paybacks a bitch...

Somecallmetim
Somecallmetim
66 posts
Nomad

Hm.. that is an interesting thing you brought up... Depending on what he did to make you hate him could decide the outcome of his life. I like that.

I was actually thinking that in the beginning, but I reasoned with myself and came to my conclusion for myself that I would help him no matter what. I would just feel guilt even if he did something horrific to me.
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

I would just feel guilt even if he did something horrific to me.

I would think it appropriate to quantify 'horrific'.

So.. you'd help him if he raped & killed your mother and then gouged out one of your eyes?
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I see what your trying to say czecha but my nature would make it very hard for me to just leave a person lying there suffering, I mean sure if it was a wanted criminal like a Bin Laden or a child molester i'd have no problems walking away without looking back, but if i hate this guy/girl for something thats not all that important i'd probably save them.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

lets say you are a doctor...

If a person wants to have a healthy limb amputated, should that medical procedure be performed? This sounds like a bizarre question - after all, who would want such a thing? As a matter of fact, doctors and psychologists are beginning to acknowledge that there is a surprisingly significant number of people who suffer from something called apotemnophilia, the desire to see themselves become amputees and who are attracted (often sexually) to the idea of amputation.

Would you do it? even though you knew that he would have trouble surviving, would you still do it? Money is the motivating factor in this one, as you make a butt load of money from one amputation (very complicated, because you have to seal each vessel to the limb otherwise the patient will bleed to death).

Cmon doctor, what now?

hope you like this one, new question on tuesday.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

That's a tough one but me personally I would probably do it for the money. I mean, who wouldn't that much money to amutate a limb for somebody, DUH! I could do alot of things with that kind of money; pay off the bills my dad hasn't paid, by an Xbox 360, save some for college. Thats just me, know thinking from a doctor's perspective you probably woundn't because you'd be thinking about how the patient would seal with this. Anyways being a doctor you alredy make a lot of money so why would need to. It would be a waste of time.
So, yeah there's my answer.
Me, definitely.
Doctor, no.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

If you didn't do it he would just go find some other dr to do it or worse do it himself. I watched a documentary about the disorder ages ago thogh I can't remember much just what you said. But the dr.s in that did the operation I think. I would try to talk them out of it and get a psychologist to help me but if they really wanted it I would do it for their safety.

even though you knew that he would have trouble surviving,

I don;t understand this bit. Amputee survival rates are high or do you mean something else?
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I don;t understand this bit. Amputee survival rates are high or do you mean something else?

on the surgery table, if the limb is not "dead" i.e necrosis is setting in, they have to instantly cauterize the wound or, seal off each individual vessel. Otherwise the patient has a 30% chance of bleeding to death.

now 30 % you say, well for people in the medical profession they consider most things over 20% to be dangerous. because that is 1 in every 5 people dieing from surgery. ect.
Showing 61-75 of 340