ForumsWEPRWhaling

34 7112
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

I am curious to see whether you guys think if whaling should be illegal or not. This is a big issue right now, with Japan already launching a huge whaling expedition, estimated to bring in 935 minke whales, and 50 fine whales.

As a marine enthusiast, you can probably guess where my opinion lies. But I am interested to see what other people think.

• 34 Replies
Zihark
Zihark
309 posts
Nomad

It should be stopped, some animals eat others, but not at this rate :S we have to take care of the world's biodiversity

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Lonewolf, I could at least understand why they did it if they actually LIKED the taste of whale, but they don't.

I still wouldn't agree with it though.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Eh. Killing whales are wrong, but we can't convince everybody. It all depends on your priciples that has shaped, latently or cognitively, through your society, so they might think is right, and we cant correct their minds... unless we use brainwashing tactics.

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

I definitely think whaling should be 100% illegal. No matter what the circumstances are, it's wrong to harm an animal. Unless it's absolutely necessary, and I'm talking life or death, they should be left alone. No animal should be killed without great reason.

cykotic_gamer_
cykotic_gamer_
153 posts
Nomad

i dont know whales arent that important. im not sure who posted it but if whales dont taste good i find it stupid to kill them unless it is a life or death situation

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

whales? not important? well, every animal has a purpose(execpt flys!!!) and I'm not sure how they taste, but it is definatly wrong to kill an animal if you'e not going to eat it or use it for something useful[hence why I hate hunting, most just leave the body there after they've taken the head]

The_B_Man
The_B_Man
75 posts
Nomad

I think it should be illegal because we should not even be able to transport on/in water so i think it creates boundaries for where evolution has failed to stop us

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Erako, I take it you are a vegetarian?

And as for whales not being important, well they are very important! Some toothed whales are the top predators in their ecosystems, and in that position they balance an entire ecosystems structure. Kill the whales, kill a system. As for baleen whales, they keep the krill populations in check. And when they die of natural causes, animals can feed on their carcass for years keeping entire populations sustained (seriously!). Not to mention the cultural effect that they have on some people...

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Well first of all i brought back the oldest topic that i could find, just for fun!

Anyways yeah i think it should became illegal. Now, yes I'm conservative but we are killing them off so fast that it will through off the food chain. Because whales eat krin, and if the krin get overpopulated...well...uh...you can pretty much imagine it!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Who said any particular animal had a purpose? :P

More appropriately they happen to occupy a spot in an integrated ecosystem.

Anyhow, I'd also like to point out that the issue of whaling in itself is also important because of the diplomatic concerns that it can raise. In particular, Japan's refusal to be held to the same standards of conservation and protection as other nations. This is of great concern to Australia as frequently, Japanese whaling concerns have disregarded what should, by international law, be respected as Australia's right as a country.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

whaling should be illegal because its not essential anymore the Japs dont need to kill them that badly

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Whaling, by international treaty is illegal, except in cases of research; the Japanese, not "Japs," and some northern European country like Finland or Norway, not sure which, exploit this clause. They kill the whales claiming it is e=research, then when done, sell the meat to the people.

ngfan14
ngfan14
870 posts
Shepherd

I'm not sure if it should be legal or not. I think it should definitely be illegal if whales are endangered. (I'm not sure how much there are of them, I'll look it up.) But whales are animals that take a while for their population to increase. I'm leaning towards the thought that whaling should be illegal. But if not, then there should be a lot of laws and limits on how many can be killed.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

(NB: Using the term "Jap" instead of Japanese might be a handy abbreviation but due to the social ramifications of WWII, it is nearly as offensive as using the word n***** for negro.)

If you take a look at the literature of 'research' that comes out from Japan's whaling programs (especially that which attempts to justify the continued hunting of endangered species e.g. humpback whales), you'll realise that it's a load of BS. The 'research' is highly tangential, poorly rationalised and really has no application whatsoever. It's very clear to the world that this is a blatant excuse to perpetuate the whaling industry.

The very reason we have said moratorium on whaling is because too many of the species were endangered and it has an undesirable impact on marine ecosystems. The problem is that such moratoriums tend to disenfranchise not just the economies of countries like Japan and Finland, but also their national identity. But eh, them's the breaks. Not much can be done about a national identity if there's nothing for it to go on with, anyway!

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

It's very clear to the world that this is a blatant excuse to perpetuate the whaling industry.

Exactly, and even if they WERE doing real research, which they aren't, they would not need as large of a sample size as they are taking. Besides, if they are researched on, they should not be sold as food afterwards. That brings up a whole other issue of food safety.

The problem is that such moratoriums tend to disenfranchise not just the economies of countries like Japan and Finland, but also their national identity.

I hear whale doesn't even taste good, and that people over there don't really eat it anymore... so why they still keep going with it? I dunno... maybe it is just a nationality thing.
Showing 16-30 of 34