ForumsProgramming ForumInteresting Rotational Problem (Probably Unsolvable)

9 3235
rytherix
rytherix
68 posts
Nomad

I am trying to make a large object rotate, however, when this object starts to rotate at a slow speed, its smooth movement starts to become jerky.
I am guessing this is because the object is so large.
Just in case you are still wondering what the problem here is an example: http://fp.dunadan.net/rotation%20problem.swf
thx in advance

• 9 Replies
LonLonRanch
LonLonRanch
172 posts
Nomad

Hmm I don't think that it's necessarily a jerk that's related to a problem with the size of the object. From what I observed the jerk is coming from somewhere in the code. It has something to do with the mouse placement related to the method in which you rotate your object. If it were related to the object size then it wouldn't matter where the mouse is, but it would jerk all the time.

rytherix
rytherix
68 posts
Nomad

its just rotation on a degree of the mouses x value
it starts to jerk when its trying to rotate at extremely slow speeds
I think this is because Flash automatically rounds objects _rotations to a certain decimal and I am trying to move it between that rounded decimal
I need a way around this tho

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

I guess it's just because the value is too slow, it looks like a clock. By moving slowly, we see the pointers "click" from one position to the other. If it was faster, it would look smooth

Put a minimum value, or just stop on your "bug" zone

rytherix
rytherix
68 posts
Nomad

ya thats what I ended up doing in the end, shame I cant have it go even SLOWEEEEEEEEEEER tho

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Or you can try tweening it's movement, but depending on the time, it would look the same

rytherix
rytherix
68 posts
Nomad

well, since I am making a game, tweening wouldnt work. However, you have the same problem while tweening

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

I'm talking about Tween by code instead of directly manipulating the rotation, it can make your movement smoother if you do it right

Look for the class "mx.transitions" on Flash Help. Try "Adding tweens and transitions to a file in Flash"

kevinseven11
kevinseven11
36 posts
Nomad

captain if that dont work then there must be flash fault?

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Not necessarily... there can be quite a few problems with flash and flash's built-in tweens. For instance, stopping is quite difficult and makes you perform some rather uncool tricks. And the problem doesn't even have to be related to the tween code... is there a specific error you're getting kevin?
And if you want to tween, I suggest Tweener - google it, it's pretty widespread.

Showing 1-9 of 9