ForumsWEPRMaking knowledgeable statements involves "READING"

42 10439
Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

I find myself reading through the topics, and finding so many people with illogical points of view. I am very disappointed with people who dont do research and instead come to fictional or down right stupid conclusion. My suggestion would be to read a book or article before making an embarrassing statement that shows people of your degrading knowledge. I just want to know how many others are pissed off at people who can barely spell, not even going to the point of making a good statement.

• 42 Replies
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

This is more likely spam. How is this related to the "world events, politics, Religion?

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

Ah, a computer and a search engine.

Ain't life great?

Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

Lil Gangsta Blaze you just proved me right, you are illiterate. Kids these days mostley teeneagers in the US dont read, the stats are like 1 in every 5 students in school read. If you dont read u dont learn anything, you dont learn to analize what you are reading. So its not spam its a wolrd event, maybe i should finger paint that for you? Your prescholar brain might be able to regester somthing like that.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Crunk, I agree with you. About half of the posts in this forum are silly and ridiculous. Most of them are kids, granted. They do not do any research on a subject when they lay blanket statements down and claim them to be fact. It pisses me off a bit. That drug topic really stirred this up for me, too.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

I see what you mean, Asherlee, but the people who carry on real discussions are the ones whose names I see most here.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Aye.. I'm kinda a kid, you could say. xP Not thirteen, but not twenty, either. XD [ You'll have to guess between those] But I [Hopefully] don't act like an idiot.

Also, when I was younger I knew a ton of kids that weren't morons. [ and a good other ton that were] So I guess that the posts are silly and ridiculous but thankfully in most threads the good posts catch on. Besides that drugs post, I suppose.

jrvc92
jrvc92
14 posts
Nomad

"This is more likely spam. How is this related to the "world events, politics, Religion?"

well lil gangsta there is a part int he category that says etc.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Reading was never particularly popular: for the majority of documented history it was something that the upper-crust did (with the notable exception of women's fiction in the Victorian era, which was passed off as frivolous...anyway!) That we lament that less people read these days seems to me to be largely a product of being brought up in a society stemming largely from Jefferson's ideals- that every human had a right to life and liberty...which going down the track boils down to trying to foster everybody's potential through education etc.

But let's face it, it's a world that still seems removed from our basic functioning. As social animals people are generally motivated first by the need to be accepted, to identify with and distinguish themselves from others, before really engaging in some kind of philosophical pursuit of truth.

I can't help but be annoyed sometimes as I like coming to the forums for a good ol' free market exchange of ideas, and have to sift through several pages of me-tooisms. But as long as I remember where I am, I can live with it.

On that note I also have a pet peeve for people who overuse TL;DR.

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

I vote for comprehension and articulation.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

How about volubility? :P

You know...comprehension was actually one of my weakest, uhm, skills at school. I always read things differently from other people.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

"On that note I also have a pet peeve for people who overuse TL;DR."

What is TL;DR? Wondering. xP

Meh, I'm a superb reader. Kinda glad. xP Still, I've made my share of fails. I used to be an idiot in elementary. XD

iShikamaru
iShikamaru
32 posts
Peasant

I can tolerate SOME illiteracy, like MINOR chat-speak. {"u"} But it gets out of hand. People don't even use their brains when writing a sentence!!

I hate illiteracy, but I've learned to deal with it... In chat rooms and the like, I'm starting to not capitalize as much, because it saves about .25 seconds a sentence, give or take, and it's easier...

The whole reason I've become such a literacy/grammar freak is because I joined a forum a couple years ago, and it REQUIRED literacy. If you went around using chat-speak and leet-speak, not only did people look down on you, but you were banned.

Off-topic, but what IS TL;DR?

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

Look, all that Crunk is saying is that to post in the forums, someone must be able to read. Maybe they should research a topic that they don't know anything about before posting crap just for the points.

xgamer424
xgamer424
240 posts
Nomad

people need to read and here is a web site to do research.
http://wikipedia.org

just if you didn't know the website.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

that and google...

Showing 1-15 of 42