The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3072794
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

The panorama
Leaks an evanescent grace.
"Take this soil," He said.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

"Take this soil," He said.

Soil, 2 syllables, soy-ill.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

This is actually the first time I've ever tried my hand at any form of competition in the AMW.

Relics of ancient,
Entombed for millennia
Now on exhibit.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Soil, 2 syllables, soy-ill.

sadface.

"Take this land," He said.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Alright guys, I gotta do something different now. I have only a limited amount of time before I have to do something, so I am only going to show the RANKED haikus and the merit winner. I'm sorry that I cannot show everyone what category they won, but I'm running out of time for a personal meeting. I also would like you to know that I judged more thoroughly than the others I worked on, meaning I went through each individual haiku from the time it was posted, so I gave them as much thought as I could. I have always planned the judging to be on a Thursday, so you can rest assured that there was no rushing involved. Now, without further ado:

First is 1337 Player's "You Ruined It!" award:

The building crumbles.
What was part of history,
Lies in pieces now.

Ancient History indeed! Many things can affect why a building crumbles, like wars, migration, even mother nature! We still kept Rome's Colosseum though.

2nd is Wolf1991's "Egyptian Mummy" award:

The dust settles on
Shrouded tombs long forgotten
Only now revealed.

Perhaps it's not directly saying Egyptian mummy, but that's what I thought of when reading this. In this haiku, Wolf tells a powerful tale using age as his weapon. Tombs of many thousands of years old, only now uncovered by those that discover it. Who knows what vast mysteries are hidden beyond these tombs? Great haiku, great haiku!

Third is HahiHa's "Documented Texts" award:

Long gone lives and dreams
Remembered only by the
Pages of paper

So much history, dated since ancient civilizations, is recorded through documented texts; if it is not, then it is lost. As soon as the last man of that event falls, we only have stories to tell. I believe the most recent "forgotten histories" is the Great War, since there is no one left alive to tell you a witness's account? Anyway, this haiku reminds me of dusty, old texts, maybe from books, that recall tales of old, holding the many traditions, customs, and mannerisms of the people contained within it. Great stuff!

Fourth is FallenSky's "Millennial Vision" award!

Remembrance upon
the gleams of yellowed pictures;
crystallized stories.

Dating as far back as the first commercial cameras being used, the pictures were of very old quality, using very poor quality paper. But that was their best back then, so I suppose we couldn't blame them. Certain pieces of pictures, though, have had powerful stories behind it. "A picture is worth a thousand words" burned into my head when thought of this. A single picture can tell an entire story, if you examine it hard enough. Dating even further back were paintings. Since we didn't have photos, people and events were painted on for remembrance. Even further back were people and events carved upon walls. Yellowed, in fact, could explain Fallen's representation. Was he thinking of hieroglyphics? Maybe, but even if he didn't, he explained what core aspect of ancient history is revealed by: pictures.

5th is Knight_34's "Museum" award:

Relics of ancient,
Entombed for millennia
Now on exhibit.

Tens of thousands of years of history revealed, taken, and presented to a curious audience of passersby within a museum can really set the stage for those looking, especially if you invoke a certain presence within the room. Create a strong enough atmosphere and you can definitely take the audience back in time. Certain events may seem as though the history is crying out to you to see what was affected, has affected, and had an effect on.

Out of these five ranked haikus, the winner of this week's theme is:

The dust settles on
Shrouded tombs long forgotten
Only now revealed.

Congratulations, Wolf1991! Go find a mod and claim your winning! Now to set the stage for a brand new week:

New Judge: FallenSky

Deadline: Wednesday, November 10th

Judging: Thursday, November 11th

Theme: Paragon

"The highest aspiration to excellence". The powerful definition of a powerful word is powerful indeed, but can you invoke a powerful haiku? This is very general; think outside the box, imagine anything that is a pure example of a paragon, and you got yourself a haiku. All that is needed to do is set the stage and...tell a story.

FallenSky will see you guys next week. Happy Haikuing!

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Darn, i thought for sure mine would possibly have been ranked, but looking back at mine, my haiku is more specific(about the Dark Age's going into the Renaissance because of the Crusades) and not general, grr I will figure this out eventually!
Congrats Wolf1991

Paragon? I am stumped on this one
-15minutes pass-
GRR!! I'll get back to it, i have it in my head i just can't put it as words you can say or type, if that makes any sense at all?

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

And I thought I had nailed it perfectly...

Yellowed, yellowed as in ''aged''.
Photographs, paper, they all tend to yellow when exposed to air for extremely long period.
I was mainly referring to photos, seeing how a mere picture, as you so masterfully explained, can contain and represent a shard of history.
I'll win someday...like in the good old days...

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Yours was up there Fallen

To put the definition of Paragon simpler, it just means "the very best of something". Grade S. Superb. Filet Menyon. It can be about any subject.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

well dang, first time I haven't been one of the 5 picked... so much for my experimentation :P Great haikus everyone, competition is definitely getting stiffer. I certainly don't envy the judges of these. Anyway, I have some thoughts for my haiku about 'aragon', however I think I'll hold off a bit and play with some other ideas before I submit.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I had to make sure that this next theme was more interesting than hiiiistoreeee, so I chose this. Hopefully, we get more than 13 people this time

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh Freakenstein, are you seriously expecting a boost in entries from a word not commonly known by those who have not studied Shakespeare?

I'll have to think carefully about this too, if I want to put in a genuine entry.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Paragon... paragon... time to think. Yes, I know what it means.
I got ranked this time so I'm getting better, right?

Oh and congratz to wolf1991 for writing such and excellent haiku.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Oh Freakenstein, are you seriously expecting a boost in entries from a word not commonly known by those who have not studied Shakespeare?

Well certainly a boost of entries from ancient history lol and it would be pretty interesting to see just how far people can describe greatness.

Also, since I'm not judging this one, I'm in this, so I gotta think of mine too instead of sounding like a hypocrite XP
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Okay, here we go.

Unobtainable,
flawlessness, the thing we want.
Man struggles to get.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I tinkered with this for a while and I don't think that I can make it any better.

My leader, my love
Postmodernist cynosure
Subjective flawless

As a quick explanation this is about my personal paragon, the best of what I consider to the best.

Showing 2386-2400 of 5299