The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3073003
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,917 posts
Peasant

Dude, this judging has gone to crap...

Just Kidding, but the lack of my haiku mad me a bit mad.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Two more days (I presume). Better get your entries in, quick!

I personally think there should be a collaboration judging. Yes, that would be a good idea.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

@ 1337: FallenSky already said something about this, as follows:

Maybe we should consider a twofolded judging, with two people working together. I know this has been considered in the past.
If anyone's interested in the judge position, we could work this out via Msn and come out with a judging with more than one perspective. Just drop by my profile and let me know, although all interested people should be aware that they'll miss their chance at winning merits if they're judge.

I don't know if anyone has contacted him about being a second judge yet.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

It's settled then, we shall be two judges for this round. I had a direct offers from Zoark and wolf, and an implied one from Mr.poke-freakenstien.

Should I let you work it out yourselves or choose?...Either way, I plan to change the second judge every now and then if the system's welcomed and appreciated. That way everyone gets different critics and point of view concerning their work.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

and an implied one from Mr.poke-freakenstien.

Yur funnee!

Let's have Zoark and Wolf decide for now. I'll judge with ya when both decide to turn tail when they figure out judging isn't easy. Or fun. With two judges, the work might be easier, but both have to come up with a judging of all entries. Then one has to submit. When one doesn't respond and one doesn't post, who's going to do it? :O

No offense of course. I'd just think it would be nice to let you guys have first crack
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

I was thinking I could come up with a complete judging regarding regular submissions and choose a set number of persons eligible to the merit. I'd then mail the judging to the other judge for him rate my comments and tell me which poem, in his opinion, should win. Afterwards the judge would mail me back the complete judging with the potential winner and we'd both argue - or not - over whoever we think is the most worthy.

That seems like a good plan to me. Might lenghten the judging a little bit though. If the ohter judge fails to mail me back the judging within, let's say...42 hours I'll bypass the rules and post anyway.

So...Is that a good plan?

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

@ 1337: FallenSky already said something about this

I was actually showing me agreement with him.

Yes it's a good plan.
crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

Uncertain Future
And Trustworthy Day arrive
With new Horizons.

I do love personification. I rarely write such short works, I am bad at compressing ideas.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Official Entry
Unfathomable
realities where space time
comes to its demise

UnOfficial Entry
Fall into the hole
And be taken to the end,
NOTHING can escape.

Eh didn't put much thought into those, just lookin to enter this time

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I personally think there should be a collaboration judging. Yes, that would be a good idea.

A good idea, indeed.

I do love personification. I rarely write such short works, I am bad at compressing ideas.

Don't think of it as compressing ideas. Instead, a Haiku is expressing yourself/views/feelings and the nature/topic around you.
crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

Don't think of it as compressing ideas. Instead, a Haiku is expressing yourself/views/feelings and the nature/topic around you.

I know what you mean, but I am used to writing poems at least a page long so that is how I think; one page at a time as opposed to three lines at a time. While for some it may not be compressing ideas for me it is, simply because that is my mindset. That is a bit of a narrow perspective on my part though, perhaps I'll broaden my horizons haha.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Haha. Haikus are about nature. So keep it simple to keep with the theme of. Over complexify it, and it takes on a man-made appearence. Thats one of the amazing things about nature: Its remarkably amazing, yet its simple.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Possibilities.
Decisions that must be made.
Calm seas, or stormy?

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

On the horizon.