ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3070876
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

If Oreo was still judging, July would be pretty accurate though.

Lol.

Here is my Haiku.

The life saving gas
It oxygenates our blood
Gives us the last breath
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

so when is this going to be judged...or the title changed for that matter LOL!

Oxygen is cool
Oxygen is very cool
Cool is Oxygen

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables

cool, although you wouldn't necessarily think it, rhymes with cool...Might want to rethink this one!
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Don't worry, that poem was not for serious.
MysteriousMexican, in your for serious poem, paraphernalia is only a five syllable word, and as such, your second line is too short.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

paraphernalia is only a five syllable word

I thought it was: Par-a-pher-nal-li-a. Six.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

The free online dictionnary labels it as a five syllables word. Depends on if you go with pronounciation or gramar alone. It's all up to Ernie to decide, however, know that if he doesn't show up, I for one will count it as being a five syllables word.

But Lord, oh Lord I hope he shows up. I sure don't want to go through the hassle of judging two times in a row.

Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Oxygen over here
Oxygen over there
Oxygen is everywhere!

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Snake, thats not a haiku. A haiku has a first line of 5 sylabuls, a second line of 7 sylabuls, and a third line of 5 sylabuls.

Your haiku has 6 sylabuls in the first line, 6 sylabuls in the second line, and 7 sylabuls in the third line.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

not only does Snake's haiku not have the correct number of syllables, EVERY LINE RHYMES! Haiku's are unrhymed!

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

And as such it shall not be judged.

Refrigerator.

Quirinus1
Quirinus1
157 posts
Shepherd

Hmm... I don't think you have the right number of syllables... 5, 7, 5, if you didn't know.

In rare ocassions, a Haiku can have the form of 5 5 7.
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

In rare ocassions, a Haiku can have the form of 5 5 7.

BLASPHEMY!
but anyways, the original rules state that a haiku is 5-7-5, so unless the current judge decides to accept it (because it's SO good) i don't think it matters.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Even if it rhymed and was 5-7-5, I for one wouldn't judge it. You know, judging's a favor we do benevolently, and there's already too much labor on our hands to be putting more. I judge Haikus that I know people have made effort to write. A haiku can be funny and yet well thought, but I won't bug myself with the likes of those:

Oxygen over here
Oxygen over there
Oxygen is everywhere!

I'm sorry Snake, but I think Otacon would side with me for that one.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Sorry for the D-post, I meant: Even if it didn't rhyme...

chitown
chitown
1,614 posts
Farmer

It is supposed to be judged today right?

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

The deadline's tonight.

maybe we'll get it then.

I laughed...I laughed a lot, laughed yellow. Oh no, not tonight, not even tomorrow, not even the day after; see, Ernie was supposed to judge this round but I haven't heard of him. Since he was the one in charge, I haven't started early as I always do to be on time, so if I wind up having to do it all at once, I'll never, never be done tonight.

So if Ernie doesn't show up, you'll just have to cope with waiting and whine back to him. If it this whole thing displeases you all too much, might I suggest that we ask Ernie if he wants to resign. That way, if I'm the only one to judge, there'll be no such commotion anymore. Of course, that's entirely up to him.

I'll try to leave a message on his profile to see if he still remembers he has to judge, if not I'll ask him if he still wants to do it. If he won't, I'll do it myself.

Showing 3166-3180 of 5299