The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3072647
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Again, it's no trouble to me; when I asked for this job, I knew how tough it was going to be and it is. Having the power to indirectly give people merits is nothing light. I will judge insanity. If you feel you can judge for the next theme, then you can go right ahead. Just look me up if you feel you cannot judge for others.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Come here, don't be scared
I am confined in both minds
Stay away from me

This relates, honest. If you need me to explain, ask..

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Okay! Since there haven't been any entries in 24 hours and it is Wednesday,

I declare the entries CLOSED!

Judging will commence tomorrow at 3:00 PM EST. If not, then 7:00. I don't know if the restrictions on my internet will be lifted by then.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Gantic, you silly! You updated the theme but not the page number! Oh you...

And yes, I just noticed that you did so I had no time to...well yes, I'm the judge and I keep tabs on this thread so I should have seen that co--shaddap!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Trapped Inside award goes to: King Lemon!

Yellow wallpaper,
trapped behind it they are there.
I am one of them

Oh dear! A person who becomes part of what he fears? I wonder what happened to him. It's also kinda lulzy that someone is trapped behind wallpaper. The haiku has great imagery too, well done!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Close-Minded award goes to: thepossum!

My mind is my own.
And your opinions are yours.
Do you dare judge me?

No I'm not insane! Are you crazy? I don't care what you think, heeheehee, you don't need to lock me up! To me, this haiku represents someone who is denying being called insane by society. How can you tell if someone's insane if they are just opinions? What my neighbors do are strange to me; are they insane? Probably not.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The What-Just-Happened? award goes to: HahiHa! RANKED

Spill dark blood, drink it.
Life's a funny game; they're scared.
..Did I just..? Oh well..

I get a very good picture of someone who is mentally insane by doing very strange actions, coupled with his impaired mentality. People can do some very insane things under the specific conditions. This one guy, he wrote in his diary about the horrible living conditions in his town and that he fed on others to sustain his water levels, turns out he was feeding on himself! You can imagine what he did when he ran out of ink...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Hallucination award goes to: Kyouzou!

So many voices
How they echo everywhere
Ringing within me

One of the various symptoms of insanity are THE VOICES! How do you know if they aren't real? But you DON'T know. It seems real to me...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Insanity award goes to: Wolf1991!

Observe my madness.
See it twist and turn within
Insany's mind.

Oh.... Well Wolf, the point of a haiku theme is to describe, personify, or perpetuate the theme, but not include the theme itself inside the haiku. While the haiku itself was very well done, as you perceived an image for us of what insanity seems to be, it's generally unproductive to include the theme itself.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The PDSD award goes to: Voyageur! RANKED

The shadows running
In my head, frighten me
Scars of where I've been

Saw that coming, right? Post Duress Stress Disorder for those who don't know. A defense where a person can justify their crime because law enforcement officials forced them to commit it. Sometimes the stress is so great, people can end up like the guy portrayed in this haiku. Powerful stuff!

The Hypocritical Crazy award goes to: MRWalker82!

They say it's madness
Crazy, I was called at times
Then I ate their hearts

You can only go so far before people start judging you the wrong way. Given the circumstances, the guy or gal in this haiku probably doesn't even know what he or she is doing!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Dementia award goes to: Graham! RANKED

Once, twice, thrice, then then,
Lest I lose heartbeats again.
seven, eight, nine, ten...

Normally, haikus aren't meant to rhyme. I don't know why, but it's a rule. However, it's the rhyming stanzas that deepen the meaning of insanity! This guy might be in a fetal position chanting to him/herself while stroking the arms! Who knows what situation this guy's into or experiencing? Very clever!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Sleeper award goes to: FallenSky!

In silence I wait
For him to awaken me;
Loosest as I'll purge

In this essence, sleeper has a different meaning; this one, to me, represents a follower waiting for his master to give him his just rewards.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Conspiracy Theorist award goes to: BlackSkullDragon!

Crazy they call me
the ones with minds blindfolded,
they won't see the truth.

If you are ranting that a leader or the government of a nation is corrupted, yet others don't see the same way, they may declare you insane because of the rant. But if they are blind to what really is happening, then they are insane for following the corrupted government!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Declaration award goes to: dudeguy45!

are they watching me?
alas, there is no one here
just 'ol straight jacket

How to put this... Well, I'm guessing the guy is in an insane asylum. He could be in there for excessive talking to inanimate objects and paranoia! I'm not sure how, but I was given a "here-and-now" explanation to how the guy ended up in the institution. To put that in a haiku is very tough to pull! You ain't a judge fer nuthin'!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Snapping Rope award goes to: Zaork! RANKED

Teetering iceberg
Progressively dissolving
It plummets within

To be honest, I was skeptical. The last theme was weather, which is why I thought this was a late entry to the haiku party, but it took another person to say "OHH I GEDDIT!" to make me twitch my eyebrows and think again. Correct! This symbolizes how you can be pushed so far before you snap and go crazy. It's somehow unbelievable that you took something that seemed so off-the-subject and turned it into something that fits the theme! Yet here it is! I must be going insane too! Sign me up for the funny farm!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Creepy Pasta award goes to: Hypermnestra!RANKED

Imprisoned, tested
You came in sane and healthy
You won't be for long

For those that don't know, Creepypasta is a website that houses many themes of scary stories to read and tell in the dark. This haiku reminded me of one such story where these scientists and psychologists were studying a man who incrementally became insane and insaner by the entry log. Eventually, the insanity somehow spread to the scientists, where they killed each other off overtime. This haiku is the same effect, except this summarizes a guy who went into a testing chamber fully healthy, but is being examined and tested by curious, corrupted scientists who wish to test the effects of the chemicals and medications on the amygdala, the part of the brain that regulates fear and fear responses.

The Smeagle award goes to: jezz!

Come here, don't be scared
I am confined in both minds
Stay away from me

A man or woman who confronts both sides of his or her mind while fighting a constant battle has a profound effect on the physical and mental self, a sure-fire signal to others that he or she is insane. Instantly thought of Smeagle. If you don't know who Smeagle is, here's a ticket for The Funny Farm on 5th/3rd Street.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well I gave you my word and judged immediately after 7:00. However, this took me a little over an hour, so you can probably imagine the toughness of this week's judging. I like to only pick five ranked haikus, but there were like 4-5 more that were qualified. Leave it to the community of Armor Games to have a heated competition over who can perpetuate insanity better! Really though, give yourselves a pat on the back for making things tough for poor ol' Frank.

And the winner of the Haiku Contest for Insanity iiiiiiis....

Once, twice, thrice, then then,
Lest I lose heartbeats again.
seven, eight, nine, ten...

Congratulations Graham! Go contact a mod for your winning! To me, this gave the greatest picture of what an insane person is really like! Well done!

New Judge: FallenSky
Theme: Time
Deadline: Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Judging: Thursday, September 30, 2010

Happy Haikuing! And make sure you put a lot of thought into your entries!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Special mention: 1337 Player!

In insanity,
people do abnormal things,
such as suicide.

I'm so sorry!! I knew I missed someone when I was judging! It was totally after the last judging and I missed it...

This haiku was a very basic explanation of what insanity could imply. Suicide can be one of them, but it's not usually the cause of it when people attempt, think about, or commit it. There's also the mention of using the theme in your haiku, which is a no-no. When you want to write a competent haiku, you want to describe what the theme is. Go into detail about something that is an example of the theme. Try and look at some of the ranked entries to get a better explanation of what I'm getting at here.

Hope you'll participate in the next theme! So, so sorry again!

slayguy8
slayguy8
718 posts
Peasant

The endless thing, Time
The endless ticking of time
Will it ever stop?

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Out in the country,
Slowly, slowly. Flies faster,
Here in the city.

Frank, you're an excellent judge!

StepOnABaby
StepOnABaby
583 posts
Nomad

outside my window
the clouds speed across the sky -
the alarm clock ticks

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Frank, you're an excellent judge!

Aww thanks, you're making me blush :-[

Now I feel like John Adams. I no longer President, but I employed the Midnight Justices so that Jefferson has a hard time working. Muahahaha!
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

That which we have now
Will soon be that which once was
And the future dawns

Zaork
Zaork
439 posts
Nomad

Well done Graham! Great job on the judging too Freak, fantastic dissections.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Actually The Yellow Wallpaper is short story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, I read it in my AP English class freshman year and i remembered how completely insane this woman must have been!
Wikipedia - The Yellow Wallpaper

Theme is time eh? I LOVE THAT TOPIC, in scientific terms i mean, not quite sure how to make a haiku...hmm...

Official Entry:

A flowing river
Never ending, always new.
You cannot escape.

Un-Official Entry:

The sands pour slowly
I sit here watching, waiting,
Hoping they will stop.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Congratulations Graham!
Time, time...hmm...

As our lives flash by
Our time is slipping away
We wither and fade

I'm not sure if that's going to be my official entry or not...

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Wait...I haz a bettah idea!

The abyss, I welcome
We fade and wither away
But soon are replaced

Zaork
Zaork
439 posts
Nomad

Hyper, your first line has six syllables.

Showing 2206-2220 of 5299