The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumHow do I start Making a Game.

18 10823
Sassin
Sassin
170 posts
Nomad

okay im new at stuff like this and all my friends are doing it so i would like to try it atleast. I dont need the game to be complicated i just want to start making it ,but i dont know how to do it or where to learn so can anyone help me.

• 18 Replies
Carnage1995
Carnage1995
97 posts
Nomad

Google free easy game making websites. You should find some decent things in there. You will need to download the software and it usually has tutorials for you.

SoulHack117
SoulHack117
1,845 posts
Nomad

I recommend Byond or Scratch. Both are easy to learn, and a nice way to start learning programming.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

A good program to start with that is simple for making games is Game Maker.

However, if you want to make good games to submit to Armor Games, you will need Flash. (it's $699 though!) It's better to get experience with simpler programs first and see if you are really interested in making games.

Buttersnack
Buttersnack
332 posts
Peasant

Get the free trial of Flash. From then on out, you decide what to do.

Sassin
Sassin
170 posts
Nomad

These are all free right?

Sassin
Sassin
170 posts
Nomad

Also I want to learn how to script for a game becuase i might need it in the future.

Fighterlegend
Fighterlegend
44 posts
Nomad

Well, there's Flixel and then there's LiveSwif

134 posts
Nomad

Make a plan. duh!

facehex
facehex
8 posts
Nomad

how long you rekon it takes to program a game?

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

You can only make Flash games with Adobe Flash. Unfortunately, Flash is an expensive program, so if you are developing on a budget this could be a problem. You can look more into the program on the Adobe website. There is also a student version which is less expensive, but you would still be looking at spending hundreds of dollars (and you cannot use a student version if you plan on making a profit from your developments). Flash does have a 30-day free trial that you can check out. So you can always download that to see if you even like the program before putting down any money for it.

One thing you might want to look into is if your school or a computer lab in the area has the program. My high school and university both had available computers with the program.

Axel
Axel
475 posts
Nomad

DO NOT get adobe flash. If its your first time, use GAME MAKER. its a good, easy way to make a game.
Actionscript 3.0 is kinda hard to learn for a first timer. Game maker has its own programming lauguiage too, (You dont HAVE to use it,), and its like actionscript, but easyer. So you can make flash games later on, if you wanna.

adios194
adios194
818 posts
Nomad

First choose a language to write it in.

Jetcord
Jetcord
825 posts
Nomad

Lul
I can get Adobe flash for free

Here is how
1.Get free trail
2.Expire trail
3.Get trail (with new code)
4.repeat steps 2-4

sixshots
sixshots
83 posts
Nomad

I would try scratch i used to use it its a bit basic but it is enough to get u on your way!

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

how long you rekon it takes to program a game?

Depends on the quality. You could make an "meh" game in like 24 hours or it can take you weeks to create an average games and months with a team to create a good game. But I know some people have engine built in flash that let them use it as a base to build and make a good game in like two weeks.

Here is how
1.Get free trail
2.Expire trail
3.Get trail (with new code)
4.repeat steps 2-4

I'm pretty sure it won't let you and you'll have to fiddle with the registry. Also my school had deep freeze on the computers so it would reset everyday. They later contacted adobe if it was legal and they said yes. But that's probably because they are an education institution with a small budget. I'm not sure if it's legal to do for personal use.
Showing 1-15 of 18