ForumsWEPRCanadian Political Instability

29 3555
Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

[rant]

Alright, I'm starting to get po'd about the situation in Canada right now.

We are on the verge of our 2nd election in 14 months, because in our country, if the parliament reaches a vote of non-confidence in the current leading party, then we get to have an election all over again. I like the American way of giving the leader that guaranteed 4 year term.

This is likely to happen friday.

And in between these two elections is the strangest thing of all. The three major parties who were not in power (Bloc Quebecois, New Democratic Party, Liberal) all designed a coalition government, they proposed that their 3 parties band together and add all their votes to form government rather than the party which took the most seats but not more than 50% of them. THEY WEREN'T ELECTED!! They proposed they just plain, take over.

I am tired of this. It is all evidence that in a multi-party system, a majority government by any party is better than a minority government. Because minority governments can just be ousted as the other parties can add all their votes out and easily get the ruling party out of power...

[/rant]

*sigh*

• 29 Replies
Yakooza99K
Yakooza99K
588 posts
Nomad

we have this thing called impeachment

Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

Exactly how does one get impeached?

Is it similair to a vote of non-confidence?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Why don't you just move to America where the government is perfectly legal and uncorrupt?

Do they not have impeachment in Canada?
Lieutenut
Lieutenut
1,251 posts
Nomad

dam* that sucks bluesbros o.O

We are on the verge of our 2nd election in 14 months, because in our country, if the parliament reaches a vote of non-confidence in the current leading party, then we get to have an election all over again. I like the American way of giving the leader that guaranteed 4 year term.

wow, having other people vote no confidence for citizens is bs... they should just give their prime minister a guaranteed term...

And in between these two elections is the strangest thing of all. The three major parties who were not in power (Bloc Quebecois, New Democratic Party, Liberal) all designed a coalition government, they proposed that their 3 parties band together and add all their votes to form government rather than the party which took the most seats but not more than 50% of them. THEY WEREN'T ELECTED!! They proposed they just plain, take over.

again, that sucks... idk what else to say.

I am tired of this. It is all evidence that in a multi-party system, a majority government by any party is better than a minority government. Because minority governments can just be ousted as the other parties can add all their votes out and easily get the ruling party out of power...

agreed 100 percent...

I feel sorry for the Canadian people.... and here we are, us Americans calling our own leader names and things he isn't >.>

I think the American people should be grateful, especially considering what you just ranted. I wasn't even aware of this atrocity.
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

F-- wait XD

It's never been officially used.

Break the law for political and/or personal gain. Like perjury for Clinton (personal) and the various crimes for Nixon (political).

If they commit felonies they're auto-impeached.

I heard about your guys' current political climate from a friend of mine. It sounds rather nice >>.>>
Yakooza99K
Yakooza99K
588 posts
Nomad

you need to get the house + senate to vote on it. and then theres a trial.
Lieutenut
Lieutenut
1,251 posts
Nomad

yes. The house and senate votes on it, like Yakooza said. However there is also a trial, like Yakooza said.... not sure if Canada has a trial or not... if so then yes a vote of non-confidence now that I think about it is similar to an impeachment.

HOWEVER, there isn't another vote if a president is impeached and is decided that he be removed from office, if that happens then the vice president takes over.
Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

Do they not have impeachment in Canada?

Not really. We just yell at them till they resign xD

A vote of no confidence is like in Star Wars right? When they kick Chancellor Valorum out of office and elect Palpitine as a candidate?

There are certain votes in Parlaiment that are like this, and if the party in power is outvoted then an election is forced. And since the current government has less than 50% of the seats, but still more than the others, all the other parties can team up and force an election. The leader is not asked to resign, there is no trial. An election is called

I think the American people should be grateful, especially considering what you just ranted. I wasn't even aware of this atrocity.

Yuppers.

I heard about your guys' current political climate from a friend of mine. It sounds rather nice >>.>>

Well, each election costs $250 million...so having them for no reason is pretty...well...lame.
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

We'll see. One of the large problems with the coalition government is that the Bloc needs to be involved in order for the Liberal & NDP to actually gain the majority; without them, it won't work.

From people I've spoken to, they wouldn't vote for a coalition if it involved the Bloc because they're just a bad choice for Canadian federal issues. Anything that the Liberal or NDP wants to get through parliament will have some pro-Quebec agenda stamped on there by Gil Duceppe.

We'll have to see. Personally I hope they don't bother calling another election, but if they do I think it would be favorable if the coalition wound up losing seats as a result of their political amalgamation, and putting forward a stronger conservative government.

Veobahamut
Veobahamut
887 posts
Nomad

In America if you get your dxck sucked in office you get impeached even if your not a bad president.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

lol, Canada.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

We have the same in the UK. Tis how Margaret Thatcher got into power..
CB04
CB04
11 posts
Nomad

I just wish that the conservatives would get majority.

Also if the bloc joined the coalition, wouldn't that turn a ton of people off the coalition bloc and liberal alike. Also at the moment another election is one of the worst things that could happen to the NDP. If they go into an election now they will lose a ton of seats.

Also let's start a poll in this topic for canadians,

[b]Would you vote for A coalition government made up of the Bloc,the NDP and the liberals led by Ignatief?

Why or why not?

Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

From people I've spoken to, they wouldn't vote for a coalition if it involved the Bloc because they're just a bad choice for Canadian federal issues. Anything that the Liberal or NDP wants to get through parliament will have some pro-Quebec agenda stamped on there by Gil Duceppe.

Well, it's because the Bloc are not a federal party. They only run in Quebec and their agenda is basically the same as the Liberals except with Quebec seperation. They can't mathematically form government, they can only form the offical opposition (2nd largest party)

I just wish that the conservatives would get majority.

I'm not a Conservative. But any Majority would be good

Would you vote for A coalition government made up of the Bloc,the NDP and the liberals led by Ignatief?

I feel bad for saying this but...yes. The Bloq Quebecois have great ideals (subtly including legalization of marijuana, as the NDP do as well) so as long as it doesn't result in seperation I'm good. I'm not a huge fan of Ignatieff, or Layton, but I am a fan of their parties.

So with all the dealy. Yes I would. Although, I feel bad for Stephen Harper, he was elected but hasn't really got a chance to touch on a lot of the things he wants to do...

Well I can't vote for a little while anyways. I THINK I MIGHT be able to if they call one, but I'm not really sure. Depends on the date they decide...
Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

It looks like this might turn into my Canadian politics thread

Thank goodness, the Bloq Quebecois leader has spoken out saying he will support the current Bill, preventing another election. But with the way our political system works, this whole broo-ha-ha (Canadian slang rocks!) will be again in another month or so.

Btw, that whole "buy American" thing isn't so great for our economy, wanna reconsider that one? =P

Showing 1-15 of 29