ForumsWEPRBlack holes

34 9848
XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I'm not totally sure, but I think I have the right spot to post this.

I want to see what you all think of what actually happens in a black hole, or just what you know about them. I read one book that explained a black hole as a stretching of space as it gets bigger and it's gravity pulls everything in. It also said that in the black hole, you can actually get to other dimensions! That last part I don't believe, but i want to see what you guys have to say.

• 34 Replies
kingofgames
kingofgames
610 posts
Farmer

i think in a black hole martirials get mixed up and they are bulding things like meteors they get thrown out of the black hole and crashing down on the earth

LeBronJames123123
LeBronJames123123
360 posts
Peasant

I read in a book that you can't see a black hole, but if you see stuff disapearing in the mid air it is probably a black hole. It said that you can only see the things dissapear through a microscope. I did not really read the book alot just that part.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

I will never be 'sucked' into a black hole, so personally I do not think it is relevant to my life right now. Maybe someday (...how?) but not right now.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

@LeBron. Well you are right that you can not see a black hole. Not only can you see things being "sucked" in, but they also suck in light! A black hole's power is way powerful.

Canada08
Canada08
4 posts
Nomad

well that is how our world will end when the Sun explodes in a Black whole

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Well you are right! Of course when the sun becomes that big, we will be living somewhere other than Earth. So we will be blasted before we know it. Unless tecnology gets really advanced by that time, we will have to live through it. But now that I said that, our lord will probably have set up his kingdom on earth. So we will be fine.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

A black hole is created when a star runs out of gas. Then it collapses because it can not support it's own gravity.

Also things don't get "sucked in". Before the object would even reach it, it would stretched into a "strand of spaghetti" first from it's power. So things aren't just in space then disappear. They get deformed, thrown around, then they collapse on themselves and then disappear.

Interesting fact- Black holes range in sizes. The smallest one that was just found was about 15 miles across. About the size of a city. What's cool about that is it is the strongest black hole ever discovered, and the smallest. And even weirder, and Einstein equation showed that the smallest black hole that could possibly exist could only be about 15 miles across, about the size of a city. That man was pretty genius wasn't he.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

To add just a little, the star has to be pretty massive (classed a supergiant), or several hundred thousand times the size of our solar system's sun to be able to collapse into such a point singularity. Even then it may simply form a "neutron star", which is a very small (it would fit on a teaspoon), but very very dense (in the order of 10000 times the mass of the earth).

I haven't read up on black holes in a long time, but I'll give a simple (Newtonian) description of what I remember: the force of gravity is actually dependent on mass and distance. In effect, the larger two masses are, and the closer they are to one another, the more the gravitational attraction there is between them.

So when a supergiant star burns out, it will explode in a supernova and all the mass will collapse upon itself. The denser this mass is, the more likely it will form a black hole. You can thus think of a black hole as something that was just so dense that pretty much everything is attracted to it.

This way you don't have to think of it like a giant space-hoover :P

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

i betcha it stretches ya way out when ya get sucked in

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

That's why I said I wouldn't want to get stuck in a black hole in the creation thread. Singularity = dead. Dead = bad.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Yes, see previous page for "spaghetti string" effect.

I miss the good ol' days of Hawking's crazy theorising: like, once you pass the singularity, you enter an anti-verse in which time runs backwards! omgz!

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

SWEET! Can I try?

I say they haven't been proved yet. And if they haven't, then throw some indestructable radar inside and see if it goes off the blinker. :P

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

One of the original problems with black holes is that information could be lost inside of them. Scientists still piddle around with ideas about the "singularity" theory and also what happen to information on the event horizon.
Here's something you might not know:
if you could crush anything tightly enough, you could make it a black hole. It would be immensely tiny and have an almost negligible event horizon, though. Which makes me wonder if tiny little black holes are floating around us that are remnants from the Big Bang.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

When the force is so great that space itself becomes distorted, I doubt you could make something "indestructible" xD

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I would also just like to remind everyone that we have no freakin' idea how or why gravity works. The space-time theory sort of works, but now physicists are suggesting the existence of gravitrons. It's getting a little bit silly...

Showing 1-15 of 34