ForumsProgramming ForumFlash game test - BIG PROJECT

173 99834
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)

I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.

The game can be found here:
Super Mitchio

I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.

The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio

If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.

• 173 Replies
Louissi
Louissi
66 posts
Peasant

You should use your own original characters, that would be more fun.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Louissi, I did not have time to make original characters. The point of the game was to program it and not do too much image editing work. It turned out to be a lot of editing anyways but yes, using all original characters would be more fun but more work.

Mooxhns
Mooxhns
4 posts
Nomad

I am sorry the criticism you are getting here isn't helpful in the least bit. Apparently these kids don't realize that this is a &quotrogramming help" forum and not a "SUPER COOL GRAPHICS" or "COMPLETED GAME" forum. I had a chance to play it for a minute and found the above mentioned pipe glitch as well. My other concern lies in the collision detection with the coin boxes and how the coins sometimes spawn on top of them and how slow they are to appear. I am actually on my way out the door so I don't have much time to look deeper, but excellent platformer framework you have there so far.

Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

It was alright, but I've played one exactly almost identical to that game. Grapics and lvl scenary such as mario and his enemies, look like the gameI've played. I know though the lvl was created by you.

Pretty good, but not to original since most of it was borrowed.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Moox, thanks! That was the same thing I was thinking. When it gets to AS 3.0 instead of 2.0 the collision detection will improve.

Google, can you show me which game you are talking about? I didn't change the characters yet to more advanced creations but I am interested to see this game you are talking about. Thanks for the compliment.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

The game is going through some major overhauls. I haven't worked on it for a while but I'm finishing it. New version is not uploaded yet because I am beta testing but I have made many improvements and am finishing the third level.

Armor games finally commented last month on why they took down the high score system. It has been down for around 3 months now.

Upgrading Our High Score System

As many have already noticed we have taken our high score and game sharing service offline temporarily. We are doing some database upgrades and are hoping to have it back up soon. We appreciate you patience and will keep you posted on the upgrade process.

I'm also thinking of a level select or something along the lines. I don't know if I want to add that in, but it is a neat idea for people who don't want to play through all the levels.

Any input is appreciated!!
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Kurt, thanks! I hope your game turns out well!!

scotthillman
scotthillman
6 posts
Nomad

Its intresting.

The more you play it the more depth there is. Its a kind of fun metroidvania style game. Lot of nice features.

I am not sure the mario stuff helps or hurts it-when i first played it i thought it should play like super mario-which it doesn't at all.

in that sense its like super mario 2-however supermario 2 had the advantage you just spent 50 dollars for the game so you better give it a shot.

In internet flash if something doesn't catch you in 30 seconds people are apt to go away. If you don't get them in the 30 seconds your going to see a lot of comments like above-which i understand, if i don't agree with.

I realize that this is probabbly what your going for- and what the original metroid is famous for. However a little more guided hand might help it out.

my advice:

Make the enemies a little less deadly. 1 hit death seems a little extreme-in a wow i just jumped on this goomba-wait i am dead kind of way.

Make it so you don't start at the beggining at the start of the levels. that seems a little extreme.

Small thing-don't make it so you have to use the mouse when you start over. i don't like mouse and keyboard with a platformer as it doesn't make a lot of sense.

rjbman
rjbman
215 posts
Nomad

On the second level, with the coin arrows pointing up, i jumped and the boss killed me right away. may want to fix that.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

scotthillman, thanks for the input! I think I will take the mouse and kb consideration in and allow people to navigate the menus and restart by using the keyboard instead. I kinda started making this game before I realized how good my flash skills were. I realized I could program anything I wanted into it and didn't see any boundaries. This is why the game takes off in multiple tangents like castlevania/metroid style. This game was never meant to be completed but now that I took it this far I will most likely finish it. This is my first real game I made in flash btw, but I am very adept at making websites and other misc tools with flash. But either way, I never imagined the game getting this far and I still think the enemies are too easy that dying in one hit is appropriate if I cap the game at three levels.

rjbman, if you don't want to die from the boss, don't jump into him. The game is made so you have to know he's there or else you will die from jumping into him. Maybe there should be a forgiveness system if you jump into him the first time you meet him?

rjbman
rjbman
215 posts
Nomad

Yeah maybe. it was just kind of weird, the arrows pointed up so I jumped up, then boom i died.

KOi777
KOi777
6 posts
Nomad

hey hey hey dont critisize him he MADE "it" from SCRATCH(i hope not that editor 0-0) but yes it is really kool

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

not bad...but u are missing some perspectives, 3D demension and the enemys are too strong. There is also some glitches. But its not that bad for first try

rjbman
rjbman
215 posts
Nomad

Just an idea... is there any way you make it so when you jump, you don't go to the next screen? like, have it more gradual?

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Koi, thanks for the kind words!

Loloy, thanks for the input! I made the enemies "catch" you in one hit because they are so easy to defeat. If you have the gun you can basically wipe out all the enemies in a level easily. The bosses take only 50 health away from you though because the bosses were too hard to kill without dying once. I know about most of the glitches but haven't gone about fixing them all quite yet.

Rjb, is this what you are talking about? http://3dmitchell.com/freeDL/gametutFLASH8.swf A level transition? Or are you talking about leaving the predefined screen height and going to the upper height level? If you are talking about the latter, it wouldn't be so hard to do but it would be more work than it is worth. I think the instant height change is appropriate to give the maximum control of the character, I may be wrong though.

Showing 31-45 of 173