ForumsWEPR[necro] The Amero

28 9885
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

I think I have mentioned this in another thread on here, but I am not sure so here is a new thread. While most people in North America haven't even heard of it the idea of the Amero has a few Canadians pissed off. It would be America's counter to the Euro and would involve Canada, US, and Mexico. Lots of this has sparked with the whole international highway people want built from Canada to Mexico. There are a few clips on Youtube about it, and one even shows a real Amero coin. I don't think this will happen until all currencies are done away with under the AntiChrist, but who knows?

http://esarsea.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/amero_20_2007_circ-989x513preview.jpeg

• 28 Replies
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

I think it would be pretty cool, although we should just stick with what we have. Most people are comfortable with their native currencies.

For international trade it would be viable. It would make it similar to the euro.

Also, why can't we just create an international trade currency? For EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY?

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

The coins look too American in my opinion.

balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

That is probably because our current dollar is worth the most. Hence Canada says goodbye to the Queen and Mexico says goodbye to whoever they have in office at the moment. :P

TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

The coins look too American in my opinion.

We make up 80% of the people of the continent :P
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

Kirby your new armatar looks like Hyperspace on Babylon5. Gotta love it.

TexanProvo
TexanProvo
408 posts
Nomad

I can understand the idea of a currency like this, but what would the effects on the value be? I'm not an expert on currency, but if we get more nations using the same currency, who backs it and determines the value. If we let Mexico for example produce some and they produce too much it becomes valueless. Maybe we should just encourage them to use the dollar, but we shouldn't make any decisions until the economy has stabalized.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Also, why can't we just create an international trade currency? For EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY?

Because it wouldn't be applicable in all nations. The reason currencies like the Euro work is because the countries they are used in have relatively similar economies with relatively similar real price levels.
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

Because it wouldn't be applicable in all nations. The reason currencies like the Euro work is because the countries they are used in have relatively similar economies with relatively similar real price levels.

Looking at the exchange rates of countries to the Euro when their currency ended shows this to be completely false.

The Maltese lira was exchanged at 0.429300:1 while the Italian lira was exchanged at 1,936.27:1

Interesting that both lira were at the best and worst exchanges.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Also, many countries in Europe are so small. It's annoying to constantly convert your money from Marks to Francs to Pesos, etc. Many people travel over country borders to work. Trying to balance two different currencies in the budget is not something people want to deal with.

To US users, imagine if every state had their own currency. Everytime you entered a new state, you'd have to worry about exchanging your money and trying to figure conversion rates. Plus you'd have to pay a small fee at a currency exchange. It's easier to have one flat currency to cover a large area.

There are disadvantages. If the Euro collapses, many people will suffer. Also, if a country decides to stop using the Euro, it will lose value and credibility in the market. But I'm not really into Euro politics, so I can't tell you much more.

balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

We used to have currency for every state. Was a while back though. Also every state sent their own delegates to foreign countries, and it got so confusing that the rulers didn't know if they were dealing with 1 country or 13 much smaller ones.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Looking at the exchange rates of countries to the Euro when their currency ended shows this to be completely false.

The value of your currency doesn't reflect the real price levels in your country. It's not a definitive value existing in a vaccum from inflation you know.
TheDude42
TheDude42
1,026 posts
Nomad

I think the Amero should be limited to America and Canada, Mexico has a different economy.

balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

The value of your currency doesn't reflect the real price levels in your country. It's not a definitive value existing in a vaccum from inflation you know.

However you cannot say that all 16 countries on the Euro each had similar economies. They varied vastly in size and worth and a lot of countries got left with a WHOLE lot less Euros than they had in their own currency which would totally feel like deflation. You can't say that didn't have an effect.

I don't want the Amero anywhere. If you want America and Canada to share a dollar, fine Canadian and American dollars are pretty close anyway. I'll just let you be the one to tell them they can't have their queen on the currency anymore.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

However you cannot say that all 16 countries on the Euro each had similar economies. They varied vastly in size and worth and a lot of countries got left with a WHOLE lot less Euros than they had in their own currency which would totally feel like deflation. You can't say that didn't have an effect.

Note that I said relatively similar, not identical. Also, you should know that about 10 years prior to the conversion to the Euro, each currency that joined had tied their value to the German Deutschmark. For the less developed countries like Albania and Greece, they were eased into it in this way.
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

You also have to remember all of the economies that aren't "good enough" to be transferred to the Euro yet. Then there are the two currencies that never have to transfer since they have been in it long enough for the rule on new joiners doesn't apply to them Britain and I think Denmark... Is it Denmark???

Showing 1-15 of 28