ForumsPopular MediaMy Problems with Avatar (spoilers)

80 39033
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

In my opinion, James Camaron's movie Avatar was an extremely dissapointing movie. If you just wanted some really cool special effects, then that's fine. Visually, it was a somewhat decent movie. In every other aspect, it was excruitatingly painful to watch. I will now rate the different aspects of avatar and give my reasons for doing so.

Creativity: 1/10.
This movie was essentially Pocahontas 3: Now with more Blue! This plot has been done so many times before: Braveheart, The Last Samurai, the Lorax, etc. Its okay to reuse a plot as long as you add something to it. Cameron, however, decided to just use a straightforward "outsider saves the natives" plot without adding any twists.

Logic/plot holes/science: -100/10. This is the biggest section, so I will break it up:
1) Why can't people breathe on Pandora? There is obviously ample oxygen, as evidenced by the flamethrowers. The atmosphere can't be poisoned either. All the soldiers use those impractical full face gas masks with the seal around the chin. But many soldiers also appeared to have beards. How do you get a seal through a beard? Everyone who had a beard should have been poisoned.
2) One of the first lines of the movie was "You're not in Kansas anymore." It was said by the commander guy to the new recruits on pandora. First of all, how cliche. Secondly, this movie is supposed to be set 150 years in the future, by which time the Wizard of Oz will be 200 years old. Are you telling me people will still get this reference?
3) Technology. Or rather, lack thereof. Why, oh why, did the humans need to attack the huge tree with helicopters? Are we supposed to believe that we have intergalctic travel but not, I don't know, NUKES FROM SPACE?? Bam, one push of a button, no more native "threat". Additionally, why couldn't the humans just tunnel under the tree? We have that ability now, so did we forget or something? Speaking of technology, whats with the humans' computers? Why are they still using keyboards and video logs instead of direct mind-computer interaction? Afterall, they had the technology to be able to scan Sully's brain and digitially transfer it into the avatar (matrix anyone?). Additionally, the human's interaction with technology would make a nice contrast to the native's interaction with nature.
3. At the end of the movie, the Colonel puts his gas mask on while still in the robot suit. Logically, the actions needed to put on the gas mask would have caused the robot to hit itself in the face (the colonel was still wearing the controller hands).
4. At the end of the movie, how did the Na'vi win? Its not like the humans are just going to back down. They "won" a battle, not the war. Again: nukes from space. And, as Sully said, they couldn't possibly win a fight outside of that protected area. Which also raises the question, why did the humans attack when the na'vi were hidden? Obviously they could just wait until they starved and had to come out. Or just use NUKES FROM SPACE.
5. How did Sully even become lost in the first place? Why wouldn't they implant a homing beacon under his skin?
6) Pandora is a moon. This means it orbits a planet as that planet orbits a star. This would mean that sometimes Pandora is close to the star (when it is between the planet and the star) and sometimes it is far away (when the planet is between it and the star). The slight tilt of the earth is responsible for the extreme temperature difference between summer and winter, often over 100 degrees difference at the poles. Can you imagine the difference on temperature between a pandora winter and summer? It would probably be over a thousand degrees difference. How can life evolve in that extreme of condidtions? Especially such advanced life.
7) The whole toruk thing. It took sully all of two minutes to capture this flying dragon thing. Are you telling me that no one in their entire civilization could think to attack it from above?
I have more, but that's all of that for now.

Significance: 1/10
This was supposed to be some sort commentary on the war in iraq (references to "Shock and Awe" prove that this was cameron's intention). This is nothing like Iraq. First of all, the na'vi had no need for unobtainium because they were better than that. But the Iraqis want oil just as much as the Americans do. they are just as willing to destroy their landscapes for some black gold as we are. And as far as environmentalism goes... Do we really need another Lorax movie? And it isn't like the movie gives any useful advice. Plugging my hair into a tree isn't going to stop global warming or save the rainforests.

Visuals: 7/10
This was far and away the best part of the movie. Their were several moments when I was just amazed at all of the pretty colors. But sometimes the 3D kind of failed. Like when the camera would go soft focus on something in the foreground. This looks good in 2D, but it 3D it is just awkward.
Wow, this is a long post. And to think I'm still leaving a lot out...

• 80 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Why did the humans need unobtainium in the first place?

We already went over that. Pay attention.

By your logic, the only reason the humans bothered mining unobtainium and building spaceships that ran on it was so that they could (hopefully) find more unobtainium before their own supplies ran out.

Um, I never said that. I was arguing on the assumption that you knew why it was so important. Once again, it was already mentioned why they bothered mining it. >.<

They movie makes it seem as if they were only going to pandora for the unobtainium, which they only needed so they could get more unobtainium.

The people in the movie did because they were a big corporation out there for money - which is why they didn't mention why they needed it, only that it's extremely valuable. The human race overall desperately needs it.

This is, of course, assuming that unobtainium is only good for space travel.

But it isn't. Once again, the use of it was covered earlier. It's a superconductor, among other things.

. But seeing as we aren't given any evidence (if you have some, please share) that points to the contrary, it's the best assumption. Additionally, if unobtainium wasessential to human survival, then wouldn't they be justified in their assault of Pandora?

Once again, it's been gone over. Refer to page 3 please - the quote from the Avatar wiki and the link. It's needed for space travel, alternate energy and as a superconductor. It's vital to the survival of the human race.

In this case, the na'vi would actually be denying the humans something they desperatly needed. Its not like they were using unobtainium or had any plans to

They didn't know they were after that, they thought they were there to kill them and take their land. The entire battle was a misunderstanding.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Wait, there wasn't a link xD

Anyway, here's the avatar wiki article on unobtanium.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Wait, there wasn't a link xD

Haha sorry, only put what I thought was needed...

I think Unobtanium has been justified. Firefly, I'll have rewatch it and see if that was covered or not.

Additionally, if unobtainium wasessential to human survival, then wouldn't they be justified in their assault of Pandora?

There are a lot of things that could benefit humans extremely, but commonly we must disturb the natural enviroment to recieve these benefits, which makes a lot of people angry. So I would assume that even with a dying Earth, enviromentalists would throw a huge fit (not going into the right or wrong here).
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Thank you, alt, for posting that link! At first, I wondered how the writers of the Wiki knew all of this. So I checked out their sources. They cite something called "Avatar Scriptment," specifically page 13. I read this page, and it matched up with what was said in the wiki (which I hadn't seen before now). On page 14 of the scriptment, however, I found something even more interesting:

Unobtanium does not exist in our solar system. It is unique to Pandora.

And, given that Unobtanium is essential to space travel, how exactly did the humans get to Pandora?

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

I haven't seen it yet. But I really don't think I want too.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

And, given that Unobtanium is essential to space travel, how exactly did the humans get to Pandora?

That I do not know, though it is possible that they spent inordinate amounts of money to use a superconductor material besides unobtanium to get there.

It really isn't fair to criticize Avatar for not completely explaining everything about the world if it is not only just the first movie in what Cameron wants to be a trilogy AND it isn't the only thing in the Avatar mythos right now. To get the whole picture, you have to look at the whole thing.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

It really isn't fair to criticize Avatar for not completely explaining everything about the world if it is not only just the first movie in what Cameron wants to be a trilogy AND it isn't the only thing in the Avatar mythos right now. To get the whole picture, you have to look at the whole thing.

That's a pretty feeble excuse. No one is complaining that they don't know everything about the Avatar universe. I take issue with the lack of clarity over unobtanium. And no, this is not knit picking, seeing as it is the primary, nay, only reason why the humans are on Pandora in the first place. Perhaps their reasons according to Avatar lore are logically sound. Even if this were the case, it certainly didn't seem that way in the movie itself, which is what really matters. Like I said before, if you have to delve into the depths of an Avatar wiki page to confirm the questions you have about the plotting of a film, then it is far more likely that the people who made the film did a clumsy, not that the viewer isn't sharp enough to pick it up - especially when you consider how these films are meant to be produced for the ignorant masses.
Austinn
Austinn
278 posts
Nomad

too me it was kind of dull untill the last 20minutes then it got pretty good but yeah im glad i didnt pay 20$ to see it >_> free online movies FTW!

thisISanalt
thisISanalt
72 posts
Nomad

And no, this is not knit picking, seeing as it is the primary, nay, only reason why the humans are on Pandora in the first place. Perhaps their reasons according to Avatar lore are logically sound. Even if this were the case, it certainly didn't seem that way in the movie itself, which is what really matters. Like I said before, if you have to delve into the depths of an Avatar wiki page to confirm the questions you have about the plotting of a film, then it is far more likely that the people who made the film did a clumsy, not that the viewer isn't sharp enough to pick it up - especially when you consider how these films are meant to be produced for the ignorant masses.

The Avatar movie was not the first thing to come out in the world of Avatar. And no, the movie was not more important, just more popular. It's like saying that it's stupid that Tolkien didn't explain where Sauron came from in Lord of the Rings when the Silmarillion is sitting on the shelf across from you. The book was not a secondary edition to the storyline after the movie, it was what set the groundwork and explained the backstory. You seem to think that the movie is the only important piece of story and explanation in the storyline. It is not. Your perception of the importance of the movie vs. the book/appendix-thing is incorrect.
Centie
Centie
251 posts
Nomad

Maybe they used another energy source that was weaker or something.
Use you're imagination and stop adressing issues that are easily right there in front of you.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

The Avatar movie was not the first thing to come out in the world of Avatar. And no, the movie was not more important, just more popular. It's like saying that it's stupid that Tolkien didn't explain where Sauron came from in Lord of the Rings when the Silmarillion is sitting on the shelf across from you.

Not really. Seeing as the origins of Sauron aren't important to the story of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. A more appropriate analogy would be not telling the readers why the ring had to be taken to Mount Doom to be destroyed.

You seem to think that the movie is the only important piece of story and explanation in the storyline. It is not. Your perception of the importance of the movie vs. the book/appendix-thing is incorrect.

It is not some sort of minor aspect of the backstory of the Avatar universe, it is an integral part of the film, since it is the only reason humans are on Pandora. If you watch only the film and do not go online to find out, you would think the only reason they are there is money. If you operate on this asumption, then the film lacks any real choice between human vs alien, and is extremely clumsily characterised (actually this still stands regardless, it was painfully cliche.)
Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

Technology. Or rather, lack thereof. Why, oh why, did the humans need to attack the huge tree with helicopters? Are we supposed to believe that we have intergalctic travel but not, I don't know, NUKES FROM SPACE?? Bam, one push of a button, no more native "threat". Additionally, why couldn't the humans just tunnel under the tree? We have that ability now, so did we forget or something? Speaking of technology, whats with the humans' computers? Why are they still using keyboards and video logs instead of direct mind-computer interaction? Afterall, they had the technology to be able to scan Sully's brain and digitially transfer it into the avatar (matrix anyone?). Additionally, the human's interaction with technology would make a nice contrast to the native's interaction with nature.

Nuke would destroy all minerals they are looking for on planet, and how the fuck do you know there are going to be mind controlled computers, and it they are going to exist why to spend so many money on them when you can just use keybord, sorry man but this is stupid
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Not really. Seeing as the origins of Sauron aren't important to the story of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. A more appropriate analogy would be not telling the readers why the ring had to be taken to Mount Doom to be destroyed.

No, because the fellowship had no ulterior motives in taking the ring to Mt. Doom. They were not in it for fame or money. The company has ulterior motives - they are not going to Pandora to save the human race, they're going for money, and saving the human race will be a side effect of that in their eyes.

On top of that, you're wondering why it isn't completely explained when Avatar is bu the first movie in what Cameron intends to be a trilogy. He hasn't explained all of the backstory yet because the main story is not finished yet. More explaining will most likely be done in the 2nd and 3rd movies - you're looking at Avatar as if it were an independent story, which it is not. There are plot points, characters, motivations, backstory all yet to be revealed in the later movies, and you're complaining that all of that didn't happen in the first. Which, in my opinion, is a bit nonsensical.

If you watch only the film and do not go online to find out, you would think the only reason they are there is money

Money is the only reason those people are there - they're a corporation, not a government, and they want the money.

Once again, more is coming in the later movies, which you seem to be ignoring. I've said this multiple times.

and is extremely clumsily characterised (actually this still stands regardless, it was painfully cliche.)

I'm not debating the quality of the movie(whic I personally believe was mediocre; it was very cliche)I'm debating your objections to the lack of backstory in the first movie. I've clearly stated multiple times that it is only the first movie in a trilogy, which will most likely have more explanation into the whole picture, and you are blatantly ignoring this because it renders your complaint invalid.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

And, just to reiterate because I left this out, it is not a feeble excuse because oftentimes in movie series, you don't get full insight into the motivations of everyone until the last movie is over and done with. This is the case for Avatar. It likely hasn't been explained that unobtanium is the key for human survival because Cameron intends to use it as a major plot point in the 2nd or 3rd movies.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

No, because the fellowship had no ulterior motives in taking the ring to Mt. Doom.

My analogy does not hinge on the motives of the fellowship, therefore your criticism of it is entirely irrelevant and invalid.

He hasn't explained all of the backstory yet because the main story is not finished yet.

There are plot points, characters, motivations, backstory all yet to be revealed in the later movies

You don't make a film which hinges on the collection of a resource without explaining the real value of that resource to the human race. I'm not going to watch the 2nd and 3rd films and then think to myself,'hmm, very glad they got round to explaining what the 1st film was actually about', I'm going to think,'it was kind of vital they did that in the 1st film'. Part of the reason I take issue with it is the lack of respect for the viewer. The film was already bloody long - an extra 5 mins taking care of unobtanium wouldn't have been a big drag. Instead you just get the one liner of,'this sells for $20m per kilo', and as a viewer, you're left thinking,'is that it?' It changes the whole dynamic of the characterisation, and made it painfully obvious which side Sully would choose. In fact, it was so one dimensional, and the humans had so few redeeming characteristics, the fact you as a viewer think, due to a lack of proper story telling, that they are only there for the money, the line at the end of 'how does it feel to betray your own race' nearly made me laugh with derision.

I've clearly stated multiple times that it is only the first movie in a trilogy, which will most likely have more explanation into the whole picture, and you are blatantly ignoring this because it renders your complaint invalid.

It really boils down to two things.

1) Unobtanium isn't a complex backstory to explain. It would have taken 5 mins to do. They should have done it, end of.
2) Just because there's a planned series, as a director, you have to see it from the perspective of the viewer. This is the only material you are exposing them to, and so it's your job it makes sense. 'I was going to explain it 4 years down the line when the next one comes out' is not an excuse.
Showing 31-45 of 80