ForumsWEPRThe End of the Universe

64 31849
Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

Which scientific ending do you belive in?

1.The Big Crunch- a state in which Dark Matter(which creates gravity) prevails over Dark Energy(which creates a kind of antigravity)and all the matter in the Universe comes together at the singularity from which it all came form and colapses in on itself.

2.The Big Rip- The exact opposite of the Big Crunch, Dark Energy Prevails over Dark Matter, the antigravitation is so great that even the fabric of space and time will tear apart.

3.Steady State- The amount of Dark Matter and Dark Energy are equal. The Universe will continue expand and will eventually stop.

4.The Big Chill 1- Dark Energy is slightly more powerful than Dark Matter. The Universe will continue to expand until there is no matter left.

5. The Big Chill 2- The Universe will keep expanding. The expansion will slow down, but never stop.

Take your pick

• 64 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I think it makes rational sense to consider the universe closed, but you are right - the evidence points towards an open universe; mathematically it makes more sense anyway.
The current models of the universe have it drawn as a rough sphere, so I don't know what the future shape will hold. If our rate of expansion and the dark energy that seems to be hurling us away from every other galaxy then I don't see how it could retain this spherical shape. But I don't know enough about the entropic premises to understand the conclusions.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Rationally it makes more sense because we, as humans, try and force ourselves to believe what sounds better to us. Case in point: There are still people who deny global warming. But the open universe makes sense, when you think about it.

Gameboy98
Gameboy98
232 posts
Jester

I REVIVE THIS DYING THREAD!

twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

The universe by definition is "everything that exists", therefor is a closed system.

On the original question: I reject belief. I prefer knowledge. At this point the answer is simply "we don't know - yet".

Showing 61-64 of 64