ForumsSupport ForumAnyone else getting Malware??

70 20201
CGormPharmD
CGormPharmD
9 posts
Peasant

Okay, so I've been using armorgames.com for a while now without any sort of problem. I've always had adequate virus and malware protection on my computer. Starting some time in the past 5-7 days, I would click on armorgames.com and get instantly redirected to one of those "your PC may be infected!!" popups that's one of those obviously fake 'ersonal virus protection' software downloads. I wouldn't mind it, I wouldn't care, I'd treat it like I treat that Cursor Mania popup and just ignore it... but it closes my active windows when the link opens!

Sometimes it happens when I open the armorgames.com homepage... sometimes it happens when I click on certain games (most often with Mini Defense, not sure if that counts for anything) ...and sometimes it happens when I click on my profile. Normally, I wouldn't post something this simple on a community forum, but it is ONLY occuring with armorgames.com and no other websites.

I've tried updating virus and spyware protection, I've tried scanning my computer multiple times... I've tried everything I can think of. Now I turn it over to you. Is anyone else experiencing this? Can it be stopped? I wanna play more games.

• 70 Replies
yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

It's not really anything in your computer, it's just a website that pretends to be a malware type of scanner. It's a advertiser that swapped out there ad for putting up this scanner thing. I'm real disappointed with AG for not solving this problem. It's coming from them. They are getting money from their advertisers who are switching this. This is how I know: http://garwarner.blogspot.com/2009/09/in-brief-new-york-times-fake-anti-virus.html

Here's NYTimes saying it was the victime of this thing as well and it was an advertiser who did it to them, so AG should STOP THIS NOW!!!!!! >

NYTIMES: VICTIM OF FAKE VIRUS SCAN-AD SWAP

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

Here's the blog link again it took some of my words for some reason as the link I posted:

http://garwarner.blogspot.com/2009/09/in-brief-new-york-times-fake-anti-virus.html

ajmco
ajmco
5 posts
Nomad

this would be OK (ish) if it was kept as a side AD
or AT LEAST didnt EXIT ARMOR GAMES when it pops up
AG is getting paid for letting a virus in?-_-
money increase over popularity decrease

ajmco
ajmco
5 posts
Nomad

look long and hard at the virus message
notice this : "your computer is under attackthey can seriously"notice bad grammar and ATTACK and THEY fused together

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/technology/internet/15adco.html?_r=1

"The malicious ad took over the browsers of many people visiting the site, as their screens filled with an image that seemed to show a scan for computer viruses."

"But it now appears that the ad was approved by the siteâs advertising operations team...The creator of the malicious ads posed as Vonage, the Internet telephone company, and persuaded NYTimes.com to run ads that initially appeared as real ads for Vonage. At some point, possibly late Friday, the campaign switched to displaying the virus warnings."

So it's some advertiser that paid AG to put there ads up, and then the advertiser switched over to the fake scanner at some point.

So AG needs to tell us WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

So AG needs to tell us WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

So what you're talking about is that the problems occuring to some AG users is this ad campaign looking like a virus scan?
Then AG should definitely tell their users what this is, otherwise they might upset a lot of people, making them leave AG for good... and that's something not desired!
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Thanks for posting that article, yielee. As I said on the previous page:

it sounds like some sort of advertisement... although AG would not purposefully post an ad like that. I will pass this on and let the administration know that some people are experiencing this. Perhaps the ad company let a few unapproved ones by.

And from what the article says, this is very likely the case. Although the pop-up says that your computer is infected, it is probably an advertisement to buy their anti-virus software. This is a rogue ad that AG would not approve, especially since it seems to be affecting open windows.

Be assured that Armor Games is aware of the problem, and is trying to fix it as soon as possible. If I find any more useful information, I will be sure to post it here.
gameingkid
gameingkid
156 posts
Peasant

just got it:/ it made my laptop freeze-.- had to reset my laptop aaand made me have to redo my english essay!-.- i was on page 4 of my essay!-.- working on my final paragraph

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

YES it's totally doing it again. It's a advertiser they switched there ads over the weekend JUST LIKE NYTIMES. WHY DIDN'T AG DO SOMETHING TO PROTECT US?????

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

Ok, I just found on the FBI website that this is a cyber crime and can be reported so the Feds will investigate Armorgames and their part in allowing this criminal activity:

http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/escams.htm

POP-UP ADVERTISEMENTS OFFERING ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE POSE THREAT TO INTERNET USERS

12/11/09â"An ongoing threat exists for computer users who, while browsing the Internet, began receiving pop-up security warnings that state their computers are infected with numerous viruses.

These pop-ups known as scareware, fake, or rogue anti-virus software look authentic and may even display what appears to be real-time anti-virus scanning of the userâs hard drive. The scareware will show a list of reputable software icons; however, the user cannot click a link to go to the actual site to review or see recommendations.

The scareware is intimidating to most users and extremely aggressive in its attempt to lure the user into purchasing the rogue software that will allegedly remove the viruses from their computer. It is possible that these threats are received as a result of clicking on advertisements contained on a website. Cyber criminals use botnets to push the software and use advertisements on websites to deliver it. This is known as malicious advertising or malvertising.

Once the pop-up appears it cannot be easily closed by clicking âcloseâ or the âXâ button. If the user clicks on the pop-up to purchase the software, a form is provided that collects payment information and the user is charged for the bogus product. In some instances, whether the user clicks on the pop-up or not, the scareware can install malicious code onto the computer. By running your computer with an account that has rights to install software, this issue is more likely to occur.

Downloading the software could result in viruses, Trojans, and/or keyloggers being installed on the userâs computer. The repercussions of downloading the malicious software could prove further financial loss to the victim due to computer repair, as well as, cost to the user and/or financial institutions due to identity theft.

The assertive tactics of the scareware has caused significant losses to users. The FBI is aware of an estimated loss to victims in excess of $150 million.

Be cautiousâ"Cyber criminals use easy to remember names and associate them with known applications. Beware of pop-ups that are offer a variation of recognized security software. It is recommended that the user research the exact name of the software being offered.

Take precautions to ensure operating systems are updated and security software is current.

If a user receives these anti-virus pop-ups, it is recommended to close the browser or shut the system down. It is suggested that the user run a full, anti-virus scan whenever the computer is turned back on.

If you have experienced the anti-virus pop-ups or a similar scam, please notify the IC3 by filing a complaint at www.ic3.gov.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

JUST LIKE NYTIMES. WHY DIDN'T AG DO SOMETHING TO PROTECT US?????

This isn't an issue with Armor Games. AG never posted these ads. If anything, it is the advertising, and AG would obviously not approve of malicious advertising or something that would close active browsers. Why would a website, who depends on members visiting the site, feature an ad that kicks them off of the site?

This is not something that AG is ok with, and as I said before, it is something that they are aware of and are trying to fix. But as you can imagine, something that can get past advertising blocks are perhaps not the easiest things to get rid of.
yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

It's easy to fix. The article at NYTimes said the only way they could fix it was to block ALL THIRD PARTY ADVERTISERS.

This is what is showing up:
ARMORGAMES FAKE SCANNER

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/technology/internet/15adco.html

Because The Times thought the campaign came straight from Vonage, which has advertised on the site before, it allowed the advertiser to use an outside vendor that it had not vetted to actually deliver the ads, Ms. McNulty said. That allowed the switch to take place. âIn the future, we will not allow any advertiser to use unfamiliar third-party vendors,â she said.

âWe took down all of our ads for several days, even when we were told the problem had been fixed,â said Drew Cullen, an editor for the Web site. âWe wanted to make absolutely certain that everything was fine, so that our readers would have faith in us.â

When a Web site with millions of readers is tricked into running such ads, it can generate a flood of software sales for the criminals, but it can also draw more attention than they had hoped for, Mr. Stewart said.

âStill, thereâs probably not a big downside for them,â he said. âThey will make plenty of money.â

The Times posted a note about the ad problem on its Web site Sunday. Ms. McNulty said it was considering working with law enforcement in a bid to track down the people who submitted the deceptive ad, while also creating new policies to prevent such mistakes.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

enough with the website news, if i wanted to see this i would've google'd it.

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

Well, Graham, AG knew of the problem since Tuesday and the solution was there if they google'd it. It just says to block all your third party advertisers cause they switch the ads, and will hit your site over the weekends. So AG haven't figures how to stop it yet, almost a week, and the solution is right there in the website news. Odviously they haven't google'd, so they needed to read what to do.

Showing 16-30 of 70