ForumsThe TavernDo bad things happen in threes?

22 3391
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Bad things happen in groups of three for me. It's really annoying > >

I smash my bedside light and glass goes everywhere. 2 nights on, Mum's favourite tea-cup is smashed. Mum has friends over and a champaign glass is smashed.

No more smashing for awhile.

I break my arm. Then, my brother and dad run themselves over (not too serious), narrowly missing me. Three injuries, nothing more (I hope)

Why does this happen? Does it happen to you?

• 22 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Bad things do happen to me quite a lot, but I don't really see a pattern of them occurring in threesomes.

I just realized that my mother's mother died six years ago, my mother died four years ago, my father's mother died two years and my dad nearly died.. Oh wait that was last year.

Anyway, three family members dying at two year intervals.

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

Thats a Little weird.

When bad stuff happens its generally because im being an idiot. And thats quite a bit, so I dont really realize if its in threesomes.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Bad things happen if you're supersticious. My mum is a bit supersticious... One day a couple of years ago we were out in the car going to pick up a cat basket and a big metal cage for my (then) puppy from a friend of a friend. As we were getting the stuff in the boot, a car sped past and a woman screamed, it was the woman we got the dog cage and cat basket from. Her own cat had just been ran over by the car that drove past, ironic much!
My mum warned me to stay sitting in the boot while she went and helped the woman move the cat off the road. Then when she came back to the boot she was crying and complaining about it being a 'sign' of bad luck..
THEN she stepped in a pothole in the pavement and the heel of her boot snapped off. She got home and made me burn a couple of candles to 'stop a 3rd bad thing from happening'! Apparantly if 3 bad things happen, you have perpetual bad luck for 7 years. That's what she told me haha.

Hang on...

Pazx?

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Over time, I think bad things happen in extremely large numbers that might be divisible by three. Simplified, if 102 bad things happen over several years, we might perceive it as 34 groups of three bad things.
Even if the larger number isn't divisble by three, it won't matter. People will just ignore a few of the bad things so that they will fit nicely into organized groups.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

I don't think many people go, 'Over the last 5 years 102 bad things have happened to me. That means that 34 groups of 3 bad things happened. Oh no, I'm the most unluckiest person evar!'

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

. . . Jess! Hi!

Anyway, for me, bad things always happen in 1s, although sometimes three 1s of bad things happen in quick succession.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

In my experience, bad things rarely happen at all, but when they do it's a veritable s*it storm, and I think that would count for more than three.

XVERB
XVERB
3,139 posts
Nomad

im not that superstitious, but i happen to keep 60 4 leaf clovers in a book in my room. I don't have good luck with big things like winning the lottery or slot machines. more like everytime i shoot a basketball and it hangs on the rim for a second, it will always drop in. or im playing soccer and i hit the post with the ball, it bounces in and not out of the goal

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

. . . Caleb! Hi!

Bad things don't happen to me.. at all.. Or if they do, I don't realise. So many things happen to me in general xP

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

don't think many people go, 'Over the last 5 years 102 bad things have happened to me. That means that 34 groups of 3 bad things happened. Oh no, I'm the most unluckiest person evar!'

That is exactly what I am talking about. People don't count out 102 bad things and then divide them, they group them as they happen. The grouping is just a matter of perception. In, 102 bad things happened, not 34 groups of 3 bad things.

This might be more clear:
An extremely large amount of bad things will happen to you in your life time. You won't be able to keep track of all of them. So instead they will divide everything into groups of three (as they happen) because that is easier to handle.
They don't necesarily have to realize how many bad things have happened.

Also 102 bad things in 5 years is actually pretty good. Thats like one bad thing every 18 days. If you can go almost three weeks without anything bad happening, you're pretty lucky.
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Also, 3 is a 'special' number for the supersticious.
But does it really matter? I mean seriously? During a typical day of mine, roughly half of it is bad and half of it is good. I don't keep track of the bad things, I don't keep track of the good things; they just happen. I think pretty much half of my life is a bad thing.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

yes they do for example

girl i was going out with broke up with me... number 1

girl broke up with me at homecoming.... number 2

the next day started going out with another guy.......number 3

Polymusician
Polymusician
23 posts
Nomad

Bad things happen to me too often for me to be able to tell if they happen in threes.

chitown
chitown
1,614 posts
Farmer

That is soooo weird. Things like that never happen to me. But I do remember that Michael Jackson, Farrah Faucet, and Billy Mays all died close to each other. So I guess that is Bad things happening in threes.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Hang on...
Pazx?

Hi...? Nice to see you.

lolskins candles, not going to do that. Generally the third stops the bad for awhile.

yes they do for example
girl i was going out with broke up with me... number 1
girl broke up with me at homecoming.... number 2
the next day started going out with another guy.......number 3

Don't know if that really counts as three.

This might be more clear:
An extremely large amount of bad things will happen to you in your life time. You won't be able to keep track of all of them. So instead they will divide everything into groups of three (as they happen) because that is easier to handle.
They don't necesarily have to realize how many bad things have happened.

Honestly I think you're right there. But, I was grouping the bad things. Three injuries, Three smashings of glass.
Showing 1-15 of 22