ForumsWEPRThe NEW parents

33 7728
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

Ok so it seems that parents today are too protective of their kids, and if one thing heppens to their kid(s) than they will sue everyone in sight. This really is not good for kids, because they are not learning to be able to take an insult, and when they are on their own, will basicly go crazy because they can't handle the pressures, for being babied all their life.I know kids in elementary school that can't play tag, because its counted as hitting each other, and not allowed to play catch, because it is counted as throwing something at someone, and its because if anything happens to the kid the parent will sue the school. What do people think of this bit of ignorance

• 33 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

are parenting classes for future parents in order?

Very interesting idea, especially as this was in fact the subject of certain science fictions written its heyday. It is a shame that I forgot the title but somebody else can help me- it's about an examination that all people who wish to be allowed to be parents must take, about psychology and parenting skills.

In this particular day and age, though, I think a lot of people would be (unjustifiably) mortified at the notion that people would need &quotarenting classes", as if "somebody needs to teach parents how to parent!?" Parenting is a rather imperfect practice, and even methods borne from empirical evidence are subject to our incomplete understanding of child development. Exactly what are the basics?

That said, there are definitely already peripheral activities and aids for parents hoping to engage more effectively with their kids, such as the Australian National University program that teaches parents the high school science cirriculum, as well as how to convey their understanding in an entertaining manner.

I really recommend this kind of thing. I just wonder whether it should be institutionalised (at the very least it should become more common), and to what degree.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Well, Protectiveness is for some. As a child, I was virtually able to walk to Shnucks in Missouri or, in Houston, I could walk to CVS or ride my bike. Some parents trust their kids not to do something stupid. After all I always had to take my cell fone, not go TOO far, crap like that. Some parents are very afraid at the notion of losing their kids, with all the stuff in the media, I think it impacts their lives. You hear "This girl got kidnapped, one did drugs, if you lecture yours too much it may be the end". That stuff isn't common, its rare.

Also, The Parent classes thing is akward. I'd set out something as something in school to show the normal basics on what to do so your not lost and utterly fail. Its an imperfect practice, but the point is its good when its imperfect. When its crap theres a problem, and thats happening in the world. I suggest learning the basics and mainly, even if you haven't been one your life, turn into a good role model now before your son finds you smoking pot one day, and at some later age he tries it, and you end up losing someone who you held dear. Parenting, when screwed up can lease to bad things. So I get where your coming from. I say it should be insti-whatever alized to the degree of knowing the basics and not ruining yours or anyone elses life.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Dude...I think I got the general gist of what you're saying but I can't be sure ;..;

Let's clarify the main point then- you think education of the basics should entail education on the major, topical issues facing parents today, such as the internet, sex, alcohol and drugs and relationship dynamics? Or the basics in terms of "how to get along with your kid" type stuff?

I'm more partial to the former, to be honest. The real problem, in my view, is the huge generation gap because of a lack of engagement on the issues- parents should be, so to speak, "keeping it real".

That stuff isn't common, its rare.

Yes, there is definitely variability (see "how young is too young" thread), but as for the incidence of negative events, I would like to know the real numbers...this being subject to interpretation to the extent that I don't know if I even trust the official statistics.

For example according to the television advertising campaign for internet safety in Australia (commissioned by the previous federal Govt.), "one in five teenagers are solicited by a stranger". What the heck does this actually mean!?

Showing 31-33 of 33