The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPRIntelligent design Vs Evolution

388 55547
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

I just now found out about this forum and didn't notice a I.D. Vs E. thread so I decided to make one.

I am a Christian and believe in intelligent design is the way the world came to be.

What does everyone else think about this subject?

• 388 Replies
pwnster
pwnster
13 posts
Nomad

but what does the decomposition of a wooden house have to do with the second law of thermodynamics?

Ahhhhhhh, It was a example explaining what i meant about what the the second law of thermodynamics is.

Well, but it simply isn't. Do you actually know what happens during decomposition? It follows the laws of thermodynamics but is not illustrating them in the manner that you described.

So yeah, how does this disprove evolution again?

The fact that it says entropy increases.

Please keep in mind that reactions reducing the entropy still take place in every metabolic pathway as long as they are linked to reactions increasing the entropy and the balance results in an overall gain of entropy. The sun provides huge amounts of energy to our biosphere for free usage every day and will continue to do so for an incredibly long time. If your understanding of the second law of thermodynamics was true, you wouldn't even live.

I don't think I have run into to many creationists from other countries besides America.

I'm sure you could find some if you went to the middle east And Switzerland.

Of course this belief also exists outside the US but I highly doubt you will ever encounter as much attention.
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

If your understanding of the second law of thermodynamics was true, you wouldn't even live.

No, I believe the S.L.O.T. (Second law of thermodynamics) is completely true in just about everywhere.

The bible says people lived for hundreds of years, Now it's good to live till your 90.

In a sense you are almost right. We are declining into a state of entropy.

Another example, When America was founded our president was George Washington, and now who do we have? Barrack Who's-insane Obama
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

Well, but it simply isn't. Do you actually know what happens during decomposition? It follows the laws of thermodynamics but is not illustrating them in the manner that you described.

Your not quite getting what i am trying to say.

I used that as a example that a building falls into entropy. That was the end of the example.(Actually i think i said brick building but oh well).
pwnster
pwnster
13 posts
Nomad

If your understanding of the second law of thermodynamics was true, you wouldn't even live.

No, I believe the S.L.O.T. (Second law of thermodynamics) is completely true in just about everywhere.

It almost certainly is. You are just gravely misinterpreting it.

The bible says people lived for hundreds of years, Now it's good to live till your 90.

I don't consider the bible to be a scientifically quotable source in that matter, but never mind. Also, partly due to improved hygiene, people tend to live much longer than, say, a few hundred years ago. This leads us to a decision: either the second law of thermodynamics is false or it doesn't have anything to do with your understanding of it whatsoever. Take a guess.

Another example, When America was founded our president was George Washington, and now who do we have? Barrack Who's-insane Obama

So? I think I like this guy.
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

1. I don't consider the bible to be a scientifically quotable source in that matter, but never mind.
2. Also, partly due to improved hygiene, people tend to live much longer than, say, a few hundred years ago.

1. I do.
2. I don't quite understand what you mean.

For clarification:
Yes, that was a joke.
pwnster
pwnster
13 posts
Nomad

1. I don't consider the bible to be a scientifically quotable source in that matter, but never mind.
2. Also, partly due to improved hygiene, people tend to live much longer than, say, a few hundred years ago.

1. I do.
2. I don't quite understand what you mean.

1. I don't think i have to comment on this.
2. It's simple. You stated that compared to persons from the bible we have a shorter lifespan and reasoned that the second law of thermodynamics would be the cause. Now compare our lifespan with that of a person from the 15th century and you will see that we nearly get twice as old nowadays. Wouldn't that be violating the law as you seem to understand it? I think we can draw two conclusions from this:
1. Some statements in the bible are exaggerated or not to be taken literally.
2. You don't have a clue what the laws of thermodynamics actually are and what they state. The statement "everything gets worse" and the second law of thermodynamics are not to be mistaken for one another.

For clarification:
Yes, that was a joke.

Could've been your honest opinion.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Now compare our lifespan with that of a person from the 15th century and you will see that we nearly get twice as old nowadays

Only if you are talking about averages. The only difference between now and then in ages are; more babies survive now than they did then, and more people live to be 80s and up. Its not than anyone is living longer, its that more people survive childhood thus making it possible for more to survive to their 80s and up.
pwnster
pwnster
13 posts
Nomad

We are of course talking about the average lifespan. Perhaps I should have clarified that. Besides, it's not only surviving childhood but also surviving several diseases due to medical care or not even getting infected due to better hygiene as well as several other factors. We're simply more likely to reach a higher age than the average 15. century citizen. But my point still stands.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

That's in a closed system, when the amount of energy is decreasing because energy is not being provided from an external source. The Earth gets tons of energy from the Sun, so entropy isn't really happening with life yet - it will if the Earth somehow survives after the Sun goes red giant, but for now, there's really no entropy or decay going on because we aren't really losing energy now, we're gaining energy. As long as we continue to be supplied with a relatively equal amount of energy, we can continue to become more complex. We're still being fueled! Entropy would be going on if the Sun stopped giving us energy . . . but the Sun is still giving us energy.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

...In an ISOLATED system.

[quote]2. Also, partly due to improved hygiene, people tend to live much longer than, say, a few hundred years ago.

2. I don't quite understand what you mean.[/quote]

So that's what that smell is.

But seriously humans didn't live hundreds of years, they lived to be around 30 (maybe less) on average. This is indicated by the skeletal remains we find.

Anyway if you want to claim the Bible as scientifically accurate on the length of time a person lived find physical evidence of this.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Yes, that makes perfect since. It is the reason why a hundred years ago we had those totally effective muskets and now all we have is those useless machine guns, assault rifles, pistols, sniper rifles, rocket launchers.....
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

But seriously humans didn't live hundreds of years, they lived to be around 30 (maybe less) on average. This is indicated by the skeletal remains we find.

But thats only the average because it take into account all the deaths among young children. If you look at the older people you find a fair number in their 80s or older.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

But thats only the average because it take into account all the deaths among young children. If you look at the older people you find a fair number in their 80s or older.

I did say on average and it's still a far cry from hundreds of years.
Showing 376-388 of 388