The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPRIntelligent design Vs Evolution

388 55557
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

I just now found out about this forum and didn't notice a I.D. Vs E. thread so I decided to make one.

I am a Christian and believe in intelligent design is the way the world came to be.

What does everyone else think about this subject?

• 388 Replies
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

And what would you call non bias, anything that says God did it by chance? Which they aren't! Because you sure don't seem to think peer reviewed scientific sources are non-bias, which are!

My point is that no one is un-bias about all scientific experiments assumptions which usually have to do with what they believe.

How many times do I have to say the same %^&* thing? I've already explain why. You just refuse to accept it.

You said that my sources used straw-man arguments, and lies but you didn't give any examples.

I'll finish later
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

I don't need to prove you wrong if you already are wrong.

If i am wrong it would be really easy to prove it.

For the 2nd law of thermodynamics to contradict evolution, the Earth would have to be a closed system. Again with you not understanding the arguments you're parading.

Not so.
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-thermodynamics.html

(Yeah yeah yeah "Creationist sites are worth a thing" But until you give me an example I'm going to keep using them.)
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

It absolutely isn't. Not at all.

If you want to say Creation isn't science then Evolution isn't science either.
http://www.ch-of-christ.beaverton.or.us/Evolve.htm
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

If you're talking about that Christian Apologetic site, then how can you not see the problem in using that as a source for scientific inquiry? There's no explanation going on, just lame attempts at refuting well-established scientific theories.

Please read some of the articles i am posting.
Maverick5762
Maverick5762
240 posts
Peasant

The essence of the scientific method is measurement, observation and repeatability. Neither Creation nor Evolution are scientific in this sense. Neither one can be tested, for the simple reason that we cannot repeat history.

That is from your source redace. It is now pretty clear that neither you, or the one who wrote that website really understand what evolution is. I stopped reading after that quote, because the premise of the whole site is off.

We have observed evolution. We can observe it.

Right there, it's more scientific than creationism, which has 0 science involved, if you want to try to quantify it.
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

We have observed evolution. We can observe it.

We have observed Micro Ev sure. But we have never observed one species creating another.
Maverick5762
Maverick5762
240 posts
Peasant

Holy crap you really don't get it do you. You really don't understand evolution.

Common misconceptions about Evolution

Look here. Many of the flaws people have pointed out in evolution are explained here, as they usually have to do with a misunderstanding of evolution itself.

Yes, I am pointing the finger at you, redace333.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

I'm going to go through these two articles and post my thoughts.
2nd Law Of Thermodynamics:

"Scores of distinguished scientists ... [conclude that] Evolution is simply not feasible."

Scores, huh? That would put these scientists firmly in the minority. Part of the pursuit of scientific truth is for a theory to gain peer acceptance. I don't know what the article means by "feasible" - it's an odd word to use in this context. If they mean conceivable or justifiable, then that's just false.
I also don't like the definition or examples the site gives of a "law of science". It makes an extremely strong claim and the examples it cites don't even fall under the definition the site gives. Neither gravity nor the laws of motion are entirely understood. There are also point in the universe that don't seem to obey these laws. They are descriptive mechanisms, supported by contingent theories.

"Physicist Lord Kelvin stated it technically as follows: "There is no natural process the only result of which is to cool a heat reservoir and do external work." In more understandable terms, this law observes the fact that the useable energy in the universe is becoming less and less."

This is a gross misunderstanding of the 2nd law. Energy, like matter, can neither be created nor destroyed. The fact that energy used to do work that is external to a system is simply a consequence of this very law. I stopped reading here because I can see where this is going and the whole argument is going to be based off this false premise. There are some highly specific definitions within this definition and such an oversimplification of a very complex law is unacceptable.

Evolution: Fact or Faith:

"Neither one [creation or evolution] can be tested, for the simple reason that we cannot repeat history."

This is equivocating on what it means to test something. Under this definition, it is true that evolution is not scientific. But, the condition is too strong - of course history can't be repeated. When scientists try to repeat experiments, they're not under the delusion that the same event is occurring.
What it should say, rather than tested, is something like empirically justified. And there is bountiful empirical evidence in the fossil record.

Also, the description of all these religions with a scientific viewpoint is just false. I'm not even sure what the claim amounts to, but this is a misunderstanding both of what a scientific viewpoint is and the actual doctrine of these religions.

"'Most species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the same as when they disappear; morphological change is usually limited and directionless'"

I stopped reading here because this quote they gave they intended to be a sleight against evolution. But one of the principles of evolution is that it is random and directionless. And the type of change evolution sees is one of rapid mutation followed by long periods of latency (there's a name for this, but I can't think of it right now).
I realize the common conception of evolution is one of "improvement" - that creatures are somehow getting "better". And while that is an artifact of how we human think about the world, it is a misunderstanding of the evolutionary process. Clearly, whoever wrote this article is also operating under that misunderstanding. What that indicates is that they have no business even talking about evolution and everything they say from this point on is suspect.

This just makes true my claim that theists with an agenda have absolutely no business inserting their opinion on scientific methods. They simply aren't evolutionary biologists.

Maverick5762
Maverick5762
240 posts
Peasant

Moegreche I looked through wikipedia looking for this term, because I knew that I had heard of it. I finally found it.

And the type of change evolution sees is one of rapid mutation followed by long periods of latency (there's a name for this, but I can't think of it right now).

I believe the term you were thinking of was punctuated equilibrium
pwnster
pwnster
13 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry, redace333, but what does the decomposition of a wooden house have to do with the second law of thermodynamics?
As far as I remember, it states that the entropy of the universe increases over time and only those processes with a negative gibbs energy happen voluntarily. Actually, nothing in nature contradicts this. Linking endergonic and exergonic processes is obligatory in every metabolic pathway and allows many reactions to take place as long as the sum of Î"G is still negative.
So yeah, how does this disprove evolution again?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

@Moegreche

Thanks for the break down of one of those articles.

As far as I remember, it states that the entropy of the universe increases over time and only those processes with a negative gibbs energy happen voluntarily.

Close, it's the entropy of an isolated system increases over time. But your right nothing in nature violates this.

I liked a recent analogy I hear today. "trying to prove evolution to a theist is like talking to a brick wall with a little speaker that only shouts Bible verses."
pwnster
pwnster
13 posts
Nomad

Close, it's the entropy of an isolated system increases over time. But your right nothing in nature violates this.

Then please state one system that is in its entirety isolated from the rest of the universe.

And sorry, I accidentally clicked on your flag-thingy.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Then please state one system that is in its entirety isolated from the rest of the universe.

It doesn't have to be completely isolated from the rest of the universe just from an energy source.
pwnster
pwnster
13 posts
Nomad

Which I doubt will actually ever be the case. I'm well aware of the concept but tried to boil it down to a scale on which it actually matters to our case (the wording is a little different in my native language anyway). As I see no real point in discussing this any further I kindly request an explanation as to how this is considered to disprove evolution. I presume that persons making this claim have neither unterstood this rather simple to grasp concept nor do they really want to anyway. It just seems to be another pseudo-scientific delusion used to impress laymen.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

[/quote]"trying to prove evolution to a theist is like talking to a brick wall with a little speaker that only shouts Bible verses."[quote]

*Grumbles* Yea for generalizations, stereotypes, and old views? I think so.

Showing 346-360 of 388