ForumsGamesEpic War 4, kind of a let-down.

26 12315
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Hello, before you post read this first. This IS NOT a flame thread, this is a full-reason thread explaining what you think of Epic War 4 and why.
It's out on Kongregate, here's the link:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/rudy_sudarto/epic-war-
Now, personally, I can't really see anything different except some new units, a different progression system (in terms of spells, units and fights), and an actual story. I found Epic War 1 and 3 had no story, but the Epic War game after each one introduced one, whilst kind of neat, it was the only major addition that I found most interesting and didn't need barely any work or money (okay, quite a bit of work but hardly any money as far as I know). If they went back to their early roots and had decided to explain the story mission by mission, with a MUCH more engaging storyline (come on, it was too good), it would've lasted me longer and I couldn't really bother with the grindfest unlike Epic War 3 or 2, simply because the majority of it was recycled from Epic War 3.
As Peter Molyneux (Developer of Fable / Black and White series) mentioned, the third one is always hard to nail, if you just make different storyline with same mechanics and rules and areas, it'll lose flavour.
Pretty much, this wraps up what they failed to do, sadly.

I would like it if he built from both stories with a mix of the units (with new ones of course) in the same area with some different mechanics somehow (mana and another resource?) and creating a much more engaging storyline which actually makes sense with both of them, which would be EPIC! ... War.

- H

P.S Haven't seen any other thread on Epic War 4 so apologies in advance if there already is one.

• 26 Replies
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

I got the titan before beating level 5. Though those challenges after you beat it are tough.

Fizanko
Fizanko
20 posts
Shepherd

The main problem of Epic War 4 is the very repetitive grinding if you want to stand a chance in later battle, as you'll need to have lots of upgrades.

To beat the goblin challenge, you must charge with high speed units and if possible upgraded to the maximum for dealing lot of damage quick.

After a while if you have not yet destroyed the goblin fortress (if you don't have enough fully upgraded soldiers), the dark goblin will appear, this one is unkillable and will kill any of your units in 1 hit.

Fortunately it does not go over half of the map, so if you have not destroyed the fortress before the dark goblin appear, you will need the giant hero and his artillery on the back, because that's the only way with its exploding nails that you will hurt the enemy fortress as the dark goblin will kill anything (titans included) in 1 hit.
Long wait until the giant finally get the fortress down, so better go the fully upgraded soldier way to bring the fort down before the damned dark goblin appear.
The time stop spell can help a lot when trying to destroy the fortress before the dark goblin come.

For the demon lord challenge, you need the stop time spell, the 1st hero with his horse, the valkyries and the female hero on some dragon-rat-like horse because of their speed and damage dealing strength.
If possible have them upgraded to deal as much as damage possible.

Launch the time stop spell and have the 2 heroes and the valkyries to go between the demon lord legs.
That's the only place he will not hit you (and the demon lord 1 hit kill anything his sword touch).
There use the berzerk spell to get a damage boost and hit the demon lord.

From time to time a succubus will come and throw some of your soldiers in the air, and sometime they will land right under the demon lord sword.
When your heroes are killed by that, wait until they come back and until you can launch the time stop spell and do the process again.

That's not difficult like this, but it's a long and tedious way, because the demonlord has an insane amount of health.

The "stop the big bang" challenge is really easy, you just need hard hitter, berserk speel and again the time stop spell can do wonders.
With that you hit until the giant bomb is down, it has much less health than the demon lord so it should not take too much time.

The final challenge with the angel is even harder than the 3 first challenges due to the titan (the same angel titan you can buy in the upgrade) launch its attack, extreme damage on half the map.
Again a long battle of attrition that is not really fun, like the demonlord.

AircraftCarrier
AircraftCarrier
145 posts
Shepherd

Firstly, I think Epic War 3 is good because:
1. No grindfest. Even on newgame+ (the harder mode) I still need no grinding.
2. New system introduced.
3. Some skill needed but not too hard to beat.
4. Won't need to speed up.

Secondly, I think Epic War 4 is friggin bad because:
1. Grindfest. I grind the seventh level for about three hours.
2. Nothing new, actually.
3. Either too easy or too hard. For example, for level 1, that's too easy in normal and hard mode. You just click the 'assault' button, then you can go fetch a newspaper and take a crap. But for the epic mode, there's a red succubus, who have a boss health (greater than the titans, the succubus's health is like the Lord Baal's.) and a friggin "epic" attack. I quit the game when I find out all the epic levels are like that.
4. In normal mode, you must be longing for the speed up button.

So you can see that EW4 reversed all of the good points of EW3. Also...
*SPOILER AHEAD*
The fifth hero is really a fapping let-down. She's a short-range fighter and yet has only 550 at start. I just bought her, seeing her low-health, and thought her was ranged. I didn't have money to upgrade her. Then I used her in a fight. Then, BEHOLD, she was down in 3 second.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

one or two minor good points of Epic War 4 however were:
showing unit efficiency against <insert type here>, eg mad bull good vs melee, bad vs arrow.

And they show u what gets upgraded before they upgrade it on Epic War 4

- H

artemishunt0
artemishunt0
185 posts
Nomad

wel i like it since i havent played the others

totalspaz
totalspaz
49 posts
Nomad

I seriously think that Epic War 4 was a serious let-down as they didn't include any of the campagins from previous games. It was also much shorter, and the tutorial was impossible to beat (possibly a glitch or something). Also, when you turned off Blood doesn't Disappear, there was no blood at all, making it really hard to know if you hit the person especially when you used expolosives. I personally hate it when it slowsdown bullets so I found it very annoying how there wasn't anything that would turn off Slow Bullets. Also, when you turn OFF Corpses Don't Dissapear, the corpses still don't dissapear. I hated the "corpses" from Endless War 4 as they were sucha nd Eyesore.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

wel i like it since i havent played the others

Please play number 2 - it is epic (No pun intended... seriously)

If you feel like it play number 1 which wasn't the best but was still good (which Epic War 4 turned to a little with the Mana spells). And then play No.3 which is basically the same as Epic War 4

- H
GaldirEonai
GaldirEonai
20 posts
Peasant

Shield skill is way, WAY too powerful. Almost all the challenges become a complete joke with that once you have upgraded it a bit.

It protects 100% against all damage...including automatic-death abilities like the tyrant lord's sword or the big bomb's detonation. Trigger it when you see something like that incoming...no problem.

The only level that it hasn't turned into a complete breeze is the epic version of the goblin challenge...due to the way fresh gobbos keep falling from the sky it's hard to focus your troops on the enemy keep. Also, sometimes a black goblin slips all the way through to your keep and oneshots it...

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Shield skill is way, WAY too powerful. Almost all the challenges become a complete joke with that once you have upgraded it a bit.
It protects 100% against all damage...including automatic-death abilities like the tyrant lord's sword or the big bomb's detonation. Trigger it when you see something like that incoming...no problem.
The only level that it hasn't turned into a complete breeze is the epic version of the goblin challenge...due to the way fresh gobbos keep falling from the sky it's hard to focus your troops on the enemy keep. Also, sometimes a black goblin slips all the way through to your keep and oneshots it...

Shield Skill is really good :P
I would prefer the invisible (for the most part) goblin to be a defender only, it is rather annoying getting one shotted when you are close to taking down their keep.

- H
MissileToTheFace
MissileToTheFace
25 posts
Peasant

yep, thats basicly it.
shield = win.
goblin maddness = hardest fight in the game (i allredy beat bomb on normal and ba'al on easy b4 i beat goblin maddness)
its aweosme money though, just get your titans and afk, bang! 5 mill gold.

hints to anyone on goblin maddness, the bow tower is very helpfull at killing goblins without destractig ur units.
the huge meteror spell 1 hits shadow goblins.
and lastly, take the sky dragon, its one of the few things that can damage shadow goblins.

anyway, overall epic war 4 wasent as good as any of the others, its just epic war 4 but with less gameplay. although not haveing more then 1 hero was something of anoyance in #3.

it just was too easy, get:
your first hero, and the 2 from the last unit tree.
4 titans, add pixy's and sucubi. and you have won.
throw in shield + bezerk and easy becomes mind-numbing-easy.
Dref14
Dref14
366 posts
Nomad

No one has mentioned it so i will. Tyrant Overlord Baal comes the Disgaea series ( NIS) for ps2. To kill him your timer will be around 200 hours or more, and by the time you do it a even more powerful version apears as Prinny Overlord Baal. (those who dont know wont know what a prinny is i guess) He also appears in 3 as the final extra boss.

Showing 16-26 of 26