ForumsWEPRGay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

561 106669
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I personally think that it should be legal cause it doesnt hurt anybody and everyone has the right to marry who they love.

• 561 Replies
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I should probably make it clear right now that I feel that way about almost every culture and society, I'm not singling out Judaism as the one that should do it or anything, I just feel that it isn't worth sacrificing love and/or your happiness just to marry someone in order to preserve a culture.

GoblinD
GoblinD
322 posts
Nomad

Well you wouldn't know it if you're christian because you're ethnicy or culture was never in a threat of extinction. I would never be happy if I would be a part of its destruction. That's how I feel and apparently about half the American Jews too.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

I should probably make it clear right now that I feel that way about almost every culture and society, I'm not singling out Judaism as the one that should do it or anything, I just feel that it isn't worth sacrificing love and/or your happiness just to marry someone in order to preserve a culture.

i feel the same. i think colture is important but not as love. also, why should the woman give up on her culture instead of you? i think 2 people with 2 different cultures can hapilly live togather. again as avorne said. the past is important but not as the present or future. i will never throw a life that could be beautiful for something like culture. it will be difficult espacially with raising children but if that love is strong enough it will work out
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Well you wouldn't know it if you're christian because you're ethnicy or culture was never in a threat of extinction.

Christian? Why would I be one of those? -shudders- I'm an Atheist. Anyway, Judaism isn't at any risk of extinction, you've got extensive literature and books about your culture and history that will serve as eternal reminders of the culture - there's no longer any need to pass on the culture through blood. If you don't want to be part of it's 'destruction' then just write a book or something and pass it down through your family to serve as a reminder of the Jewish heritage.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Now New York is gay.

But anyhow, if a state does pass a "We love gays and I am gay and they can merry noaw" law....

The church can say... Get the Freaking Hades out of my Church!

Church's don't have to merry gays.

Our favourite guy is back. Everdead, wrote you a post a few pages back. Check it out.

New York is not gay - it has legalized gay marriage - bit of a different concept.
Churchs don't have to marry gays no. We have civil partnerships here which i believe to be as good as marriage because many straight couples marry in a registry office too. So getting married in city hall is no bg deal - it's prettier than the majority of churches here.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

For gay marriages, let them have all the rights for marriage but call it gay-marriage, partnership, gayriage or whatever you want.

Again your just having something that is marriage in every sense but the word.

Giving those economic benefits to people who aren't going to raise any kids (most of the gay community) is unfair and wrong.

So if a heterosexual couple decide or for what ever reason are unable to have children you would consider it wrong for them to have the same economic benefits as a couple who will/could have children?

Also, as I said, the devorse is problematic for gay communities because the current system makes the "man" pay the "woman" after devorce. Again, all so the woman can have support for growing children.

I hope this aspect does get changed as well, it's another aspect that needs a face lift. I may be wrong but it's not always the man who pays, that's just the ruling the majority of the time.

As I said culture changes with time. What it sounds like your clinging to is stagnation.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

True true, city halls are most of the time prettier then churches.

But you still have to have a Priest.

To marry a couple in city hall? Judges also perform marriages, and they do that in city hall.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

@Everdead. No. No you are not.
I'm a lesbian, you're a homophobe - don't think we'd become BFF irl.

Moe is right, Judges can administer marriages - they do in the case where a catholic is divorced and want to remarry. Usually this doesn't happen in a church, but in a registry office at city hall.

GoblinD
GoblinD
322 posts
Nomad

Christian? Why would I be one of those? -shudders- I'm an Atheist. Anyway, Judaism isn't at any risk of extinction, you've got extensive literature and books about your culture and history that will serve as eternal reminders of the culture - there's no longer any need to pass on the culture through blood. If you don't want to be part of it's 'destruction' then just write a book or something and pass it down through your family to serve as a reminder of the Jewish heritage.

Ancient Egyptians are gone and turned to history after mingling with others. No I do not wish that would happen to my people. I take pride being part of my people and like I said, many have died to preserve ourselves. Taking another 3months of pickups in order to find a new girl to love is nothing. You guys really underestimate the number of fish in the sea. You think you are born with 1 soul mate and that's it?
For danger of extinction, as I said: half the American Jews are marrying non Jews. How long will the largest Jewish community last?

Again your just having something that is marriage in every sense but the word.

I'm saying change the law about it from the regular one.

So if a heterosexual couple decide or for what ever reason are unable to have children you would consider it wrong for them to have the same economic benefits as a couple who will/could have children?

Heterosexual couples are much more likely to grow children, only a minority doesn't have a single one. By economically assisting them you increase their chance of having children even if they still don't have any. For gay couples its much more rare to have (adopt) children and even illegal at some parts.

I hope this aspect does get changed as well, it's another aspect that needs a face lift. I may be wrong but it's not always the man who pays, that's just the ruling the majority of the time.

That law is for a reason. The wife- the one who takes care of the kids, needs that economic assistance. Thats how the whole marriege system works- the man takes care of his wife so she can make children. Even when they devorse he still helps her. If gay couples stick with system without making a new one, how long will it be until they get fed up with the "husban" paying the "wife" after devorse and push for a chance in the whole system?
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

I personally think that it should be legal cause it doesnt hurt anybody and everyone has the right to marry who they love.

yeah true but depending on religion/culture they see that as a taboo. but in the western world your free to do as you like. Why does it bother people its not like they doing anything in front of people? they usually keep themselves to them self and other fellow gays. but the point in marriage i don't really see yeah its to people who loves each other but why get married to prove that? definition or marriage is a gamble coming from its or origin but that doesn't matter im young i probably change when im in my 30s lol.

i got gay friends and they are actually funny and down to earth people, also good for fashion tips and they know more about girls cause they more in touch with their feminine side yeah im dragging on here i'll finish.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

You think you are born with 1 soul mate and that's it?

Don't believe in the existence of souls, so no.

I'm saying change the law about it from the regular one.

And what rights would you want to take away?

Heterosexual couples are much more likely to grow children, only a minority doesn't have a single one. By economically assisting them you increase their chance of having children even if they still don't have any. For gay couples its much more rare to have (adopt) children and even illegal at some parts.

Again this is a fight for equal rights, that would include adoption. There are couples that can't/wpn't have kids regardless. What does I matter if the group of heterosexuals not having kids is minority? besides marriage isn't all about having kids anyway, so this argument fails on at least two fronts and just makes you look like a bigot.

That law is for a reason. The wife- the one who takes care of the kids, needs that economic assistance.

That's not always the case and there are many times when the mother is awarded custody of the children when the father would actually be the better choice.
Engima
Engima
38 posts
Nomad

I'm glad you consider it a right but why do you think it's so wrong?

Eh, i'm not going to get into religions but thats the way I grew up.
Me and my parents long ago actually argued on this issue, my parents are extremely against it. Me on the other hand, I feel like you should be able to marry someone and whoever you want, no matter if they're the same sex. If you want to buff **** someone that's your concern, not mine.

Especially if you live in America this is a ****ing free country, that's not right >.>

I mean how much harm is it going to cause!?
- Engima
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I mean how much harm is it going to cause!?

None whatsoever.

That law is for a reason. The wife- the one who takes care of the kids, needs that economic assistance.

Dontcha just love steriotypes?

For gay couples its much more rare to have (adopt) children and even illegal at some parts

Exactly how is it that adopting would be rare in a gay marriage, that's one of two options for having a kid, with the other being quite expensive i'd imagine.

And then, High School.

Because the opinion of a few snooty, arrogant teenagers makes the world go round.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

yeah true but depending on religion/culture they see that as a taboo. but in the western world your free to do as you like. Why does it bother people its not like they doing anything in front of people? they usually keep themselves to them self and other fellow gays. but the point in marriage i don't really see yeah its to people who loves each other but why get married to prove that? definition or marriage is a gamble coming from its or origin but that doesn't matter im young i probably change when im in my 30s lol.

lol how old? im 18 and even though i think marriage can be a beautiful thing i dont see it as such an important thing XD

i got gay friends and they are actually funny and down to earth people, also good for fashion tips and they know more about girls cause they more in touch with their feminine side yeah im dragging on here i'll finish.[quote]

not all of them are like that. some people who arent gay are more in touch with their feminine side then gay people. its just a stereotype. (even though i have nothing against those who are close to the sterotypes. just wanted you to know. also think about it this way, if all the gays were close to the stereotypes then all of them would be pretty much the same but taste does changes in people so there wouldnt be any or at least a few couples)
GoblinD
GoblinD
322 posts
Nomad

And what rights would you want to take away?

Exactly what I said, the ability to do regular marriage and switch it with the ability to do a gay marriage that includes different laws. Wasn't I clear about that?

Again this is a fight for equal rights, that would include adoption. There are couples that can't/wpn't have kids regardless. What does I matter if the group of heterosexuals not having kids is minority? besides marriage isn't all about having kids anyway, so this argument fails on at least two fronts and just makes you look like a bigot.

Its not a fight for equal rights its a fight for economic benefits what I'm talking about - aka Money. Society throughout all of mankind history is grouped in families for a reason. Its a system that allows the man to take care of the wife so she can take care of her children. Its true also for today in most cases, woman can also work today that's true but they usually still need the man in order to have the amount of children they want and it makes life much easier both for the woman and for the children.
This economic system of marriage by the law today as I said, makes sure the man takes care of the woman but that's unnecessary for gay couples. Yes it does matter that a minority of gay couples has children and a minority of heterosexual couples do have kids because its wrong to give all the gays economic benefits only to reward a small minority. Heterosexual couples are much more likely to have their desired wanted of children if they have those benefits.

That's not always the case and there are many times when the mother is awarded custody of the children when the father would actually be the better choice.

The minority of the times can't change the law for the majority. Usually the wife Needs that money. Unlike gay couples.

The fact you went on the offensive lets me know I did something right.
Showing 466-480 of 561