ForumsWEPRGay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

561 106933
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I personally think that it should be legal cause it doesnt hurt anybody and everyone has the right to marry who they love.

• 561 Replies
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

exactly, no reason for it, if its not an institution of god, and doesn't have to mean love and what not, then why. if you want to be in love, be in love. why get married if its so unimportant.

It comes with some legal benefits, as well as social. Simple as that.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Marriage is an institution of man, dum dums. God would have no use for it now, would he/she/it? Also, marriage is an institution of finance, since it has a gigantic effect on taxation of and insurance policies for individuals.

Someones wrong aren't we? The marriage practiced in America is commonly regarded as having come from the Abrahamic religions.

That being said if your argument is that marriage is an institution of God then why are non-believers allowed to marry?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

its not ok for them to be married. mariage is an institution of god.

Yes They should have a traditional Biblical marriage such as marring your mother, sister, or 700+ wives.

Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else

why the hell would they even want to be married.

Just a shot in the dark here but my guess would be because the love each other, and want the legal benefits that go along with marriage. Such as being able to handle certain legal right if their partner were to get sick and have to spend time in the hospital or the legal rights if that partner were to pass away.

and also, all im hearing is 'ossibilities' and 'theories' the fact is, there is no hard evidence that its not a choice.

The hard evidence indicates a genetic link. There however is no hard evidence indicating it to be a choice. Attempts to prove it to be so in the past have all failed.

But even if it was a choice this should have no baring on weather it should be legal or not for them to be married.

I say no because undoubtably they will adopt a not nessicarily gay child. Can you imagine being a straight child raised by gay parents? You would end up being messed up.

There is no indication suggesting children raised by same sex couples end up maladjusted because of it. Also we don't even have to imagine what it would be like because there is an entire YouTube channel dedicated to showcasing a same sex couple and there two children, set up just to show how normal and boring their life really is.

http://www.youtube.com/user/depfox

Again, the only people that would 'mess up'' kids raised by gay parents are bigots like you that tell them their parents are evil and that they're freaks.

Or the kids of said people who have passed that bigotry on in ways such as...

i don't want my children thinking its ok.

exactly, no reason for it, if its not an institution of god, and doesn't have to mean love and what not, then why.

In case you missed it in the first reply on why in this post, there are many legal benefits that go along with marriage.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Of course I am for gay equality. Whatever heterosexuals have rights to, homosexuals should have the same rights.

So...on the flip side...I really am not comfortable with the marriage package in general. It is a really scary, binding contract with another human being. The fact of the matter is this, we are humans and there is no guarantee we can love the same person until we die. I am with my partner because I WANT to be, not because I made a legal contract with her. Most people end up in divorce. It gets messy! I watch it happen all the time.

Here's the catch... there are some great benefits I'd want with all the baggage I explained above. Tax breaks, medical emergencies, medical benefits, and etc.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That being said if your argument is that marriage is an institution of God then why are non-believers allowed to marry?

I can't believe I actually missed making that point myself.
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

regardless, this asked for my opinion, and my opinion is no. for whatever reasons, i have grown up to think it is just gross. then again, i have gay friends. we have this chat all the time, but we are still friends, and i still love them.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

So - you're only reason not to support gay marriage is because you think being gay is 'gross'. That's really mature right there.

nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

it sure as hell is, do you want to be pooped on? would it be ok if people pooped on each other in public? would want your kids (hypothetical) to see it and have the media tell them its ok to be doing? its the same thing in my mind.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Steven - you don't know much about being gay do you?

The fact that you compare it to crapping on someone in public gives me that idea...

nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

what would i need to know about being gay that would make my opinion valid. oh thats right i don't give a flying fuck what you think. i forgot.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

what would i need to know about being gay that would make my opinion valid. oh thats right i don't give a flying **** what you think. i forgot.

I'm so glad you can argue your point in a mature manner. Please note the sarcasm. And please also note you've completely gone of topic with your delluded and unrealistic reasoning.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

oh thats right i don't give a flying **** what you think. i forgot.

Persisting in this manner is unadvisable. I have my eye on this thread.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

So...on the flip side...I really am not comfortable with the marriage package in general. It is a really scary, binding contract with another human being.

"I have no problem with gays marrying. Everybody should have the right to be miserable." -Marshall Mathers III
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

a gay marriage does not make sense. a marriage as defined in miriam websters dictionary up until the late 90's is a commitment between a man and a woman. thus if two men were to be married it could not be called a marriage. your trying to say that these DIFFERENT things are the same somehow. its like comparing comparing an apple to an orange. but its still just my opinion. also, strop, how have i warranted a warning over any other. please advise...

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Change the definition. This is like saying "You can't lay down in chairs, even if they recline, since the definition has 'you sit in them' in it.

Showing 61-75 of 561