ForumsWEPR[Necro] Does God exist?

697 244052
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

since there really s no topic on whether or not he really exists and created people i decided to make one

start debating... NOW!

• 697 Replies
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

Believe what you want and I will believe what I want that settles this argument unless you still want to debate.

alexstargazer
alexstargazer
347 posts
Nomad

Was. When he grew up, he became an atheist.

He believed in Spinoza's God, as you said. So, since he believed in Spinoza's God, he couldn't be an atheist.

"I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details."
--Einstein wrote three fundamental papers, all in a few months. The first paper claimed that light must sometimes behave like a stream of particles with discrete energies, "quanta." The second paper offered an experimental test for the theory of heat. The third paper addressed a central puzzle for physicists of the day â" the connection between electromagnetic theory and ordinary motion â" and solved it using the &quotrinciple of relativity."
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Believe what you want and I will believe what I want that settles this argument unless you still want to debate.

That doesn't settle anything.

Example.

Random person: There is a unicorn in those woods there.
Me: Really?
Random Person: Yes.
Me: Any proof?
Random person: Well I believe what I want and you do the same, we both agree now right?
-No-
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

He believed in Spinoza's God, as you said. So, since he believed in Spinoza's God, he couldn't be an atheist.

Spinoza's god, meaning he is calling god the natural phenomena that is happening. Not Yahweh, as you seem to think.
alexstargazer
alexstargazer
347 posts
Nomad

Spinoza's god, meaning he is calling god the natural phenomena that is happening. Not Yahweh, as you seem to think.

I was not thinking that.

To be an atheist, you cannot believe in any religion. Spinoza's god would be considered a form of religion. Therefore he was not an atheist.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

To be an atheist, you cannot believe in any religion. Spinoza's god would be considered a form of religion. Therefore he was not an atheist.

No, it means without belief in a deity. Spinoza's "God" isn't a deity.
alexstargazer
alexstargazer
347 posts
Nomad

Ah. Sorry about that.

When he said he believed in Spinoza's god, he was also saying that he believed in something greater - that something/ someone had to create the whole and it couldn't happen by chance.

That sounds kind of like a deity, though I could be wrong. Please correct me if I am.

Zydrate
Zydrate
383 posts
Farmer

I think my post was deleted. What a shame, I was just trying to add some levity to the rage.

I found the post talking about "we need exorcists here" rather funny, too.
Because, not believing equals possession.

Oh, the logic is infallible.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

When he said he believed in Spinoza's god, he was also saying that he believed in something greater - that something/ someone had to create the whole and it couldn't happen by chance.

From what I've been reading this is a bit difficult to answer. In the strictest of definitions god is defined as a being with supreme power over an aspect of reality. Spinoza's god seems to treat god as nature doing what it does. While it does seem to also claim god as having a transcendent attribute, it doesn't seem to indicate god as a being.
It would seem analogous to me calling the processing power and information that I'm inputting into my computer "god". In it's most basic form it appears that Spinoza's god is just taking something that is already defined as something else, calling that god and adding some known element to it. For Einstein he was observing the emergence of quantum mechanics and likely saw this as that transcendent aspect.
In the strictest sense Einstein might be regarded as an atheist. He did say he did not like the title and it seems to me that he held a false perception of what it meant. Over all his views of god seem largely muddled and even just metaphorical.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Over all his views of god seem largely muddled and even just metaphorical.

Maybe Einstein wasn't the best example of a religious scientist due to poor clarity.

What about Stephen Hawking? He stated, "The universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws." I think that means Deism.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What about Stephen Hawking?

He also said...

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority [imposed dogma, faith], [as opposed to] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."
dumbbutdeadly2189
dumbbutdeadly2189
113 posts
Nomad

idk i just don't know

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I agree with Hawking's concept in that sense, there is no reason that a being that could be described as God couldn't exist scientifically.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

I agree with Hawking's concept in that sense, there is no reason that a being that could be described as God couldn't exist scientifically.

There is no reason in science why he should either
merind3
merind3
36 posts
Nomad

If god dosent exist explain to me how do you and everyone else know the difference between right and wrong, and what is the feeling you get when you steal ar lie for the first time.

Showing 676-690 of 697