ForumsWEPR[Necro] Does God exist?

697 244125
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

since there really s no topic on whether or not he really exists and created people i decided to make one

start debating... NOW!

• 697 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Perhaps it's just that type of person who's likely to believe in these sort of things. Maybe if they weren't raised to be religious, they'd believe something else they heard of first.

Critical thinking is a learned process, something religion more then often discourages.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Critical thinking is a learned process, something religion more then often discourages.

If you frequent the 'right' people out of family and church community circles though, you can still acquire critical thinking.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

If you frequent the 'right' people out of family and church community circles though, you can still acquire critical thinking.

I found this site outlining critical thinking. How much of it do you see being applied or taught in regards to religion? How much do you see being discouraged by religion?

http://www.criticalthinking.com/company/articles/critical-thinking-definition.jsp
ShinyCowBeast
ShinyCowBeast
120 posts
Nomad

i dont know what you are talking about by saying religon discourages critical thinking. it doesnt

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

But being religous doesn't mean that you won't be a critical thinker. You can belive in God and be a person who does a lot of things on those lists.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

i dont know what you are talking about by saying religon discourages critical thinking. it doesnt

But being religous doesn't mean that you won't be a critical thinker. You can belive in God and be a person who does a lot of things on those lists.

"1. Is open-minded and mindful of alternatives"

The religion will state it's the only truth and everyone else is wrong. Further discourages looking at those alternatives as well.

"2. Tries to be well-informed"

How many lies and misinformation has been used in things like creationism just to promote the idea that "God did it"?

"3. Judges well the credibility of sources"

"Just accept the holy text as being true and inspired by God."

"5. Judges well the quality of an argument, including the acceptability of its reasons, assumptions, and evidence"

"Just have faith."

"7. Asks appropriate clarifying questions"

"Don't question God."

"10. Draws conclusions when warranted, but with caution"

If your just accepting things as true on faith your not being cautious.

"11. Integrates all items in this list when deciding what to believe or do"

Clearly not done in regards to religious belief.

Critical Thinkers are disposed to:

"1. Care that their beliefs be true, and that their decisions be justified; that is, care to "get it right" to the extent possible. This includes the dispositions to"

I don't see religion caring that the beliefs be true. Particularly if your just follow out of some form of comfort. There is no care that the decisions be justified, that can just be taken on faith.

"2. Care to present a position honestly and clearly, theirs as well as others'. This includes the dispositions to"

Again this is simply often not done in religion. How many times have people sat in church and cared that the preacher was telling them the truth rather than just accepting what he is saying as true?

"3. Care about the dignity and worth of every person (a correlative disposition). This includes the dispositions to"

"If you don't believe what we believe your going to hell."

I could go on...
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I don't think that he said that critical thinking was impossible or completely incompatible with religion. He simply said religion discourages critical thinking, which doesn't mean the two things exclude themselves necessarily.
It does insofar that you have to take beliefs (that aren't even yours at the beginning) as facts, which doesn't require any critical thinking. And since religion is so important to some people's life, this may have repercussions if you apply the way of thinking that you have learnt from religion, on other matters.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I don't think that he said that critical thinking was impossible or completely incompatible with religion. He simply said religion discourages critical thinking, which doesn't mean the two things exclude themselves necessarily.
It does insofar that you have to take beliefs (that aren't even yours at the beginning) as facts, which doesn't require any critical thinking. And since religion is so important to some people's life, this may have repercussions if you apply the way of thinking that you have learnt from religion, on other matters.

Well that's probably true. Because you're right that religon doesn't require any critical thinking. But dependeing on how you take your religon it can prevent critical think in some areas.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yes, if it was definitive across the board we wouldn't see compliant scientists who were theists or people breaking free from religion with it's use.
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

Being religious doesn't you can't have an intellectual, critical, questioning mind.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Being religious doesn't you can't have an intellectual, critical, questioning mind.

Certainly not. But religion calls usually calls on faith, and an intellectual, critical, questioning mind might have a problem with blind faith.
Just decided to play Devil's advocate for a while.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Did I really post the 666th comment playing Devil's advocate in a "Does God exist thread"?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Certainly not. But religion calls usually calls on faith, and an intellectual, critical, questioning mind might have a problem with blind faith.

Which is exactly what I see as the problem with religion.

http://rlv.zcache.com/dont_run_on_automatic_think_tshirt-p23546368210815068021o0w_500.jpg
mysteriousmexican666
mysteriousmexican666
318 posts
Nomad

Which is exactly what I see as the problem with religion.
Umm, this isn't really what religion is about. I'm religious, but I have a very intellectual mind. Many religious people I know are like this as well. I don't like the fact that you imply that religion dumbs people down.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Umm, this isn't really what religion is about

Yes it is.

I'm religious, but I have a very intellectual mind.

Ive seen you post, and on the subject of religion I must disagree.

Many religious people I know are like this as well. I don't like the fact that you imply that religion dumbs people down

Once again, according to you. Now can you find some statistics stating this?
Showing 646-660 of 697