ForumsNews and Feedbacklike button

51 12199
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

i think armorgames community should have like a thumbs up or thumbs down button on posts. kinda like youtube or facebook

• 51 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I hate to say this, and don't mean to bring up another suggestion in this topic, but I disagree with an edit button for the members. This could really cause some problems with moderating.

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

I don't think it'd be too much of a problem. If you see a bad post, and they edit it, delete it anyway. My solution is to have an edit button that only works for 2 minutes after you make the post.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

have an edit button that only works for 2 minutes after you make the post.

exactly this would also prevent double posting cause wed have an edit button
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

A timed edit is a common trait on sites like Digg, etc.

We've had some discussion in the office about like/dislike, versus just a 'like' button.

If all you have is a 'like' button (no 'dislike' button) it kinda goes without saying that if you don't like something, you just won't click the 'like' button, and it will keep people from ganging up on another user they don't like.

Allowing a 'dislike' button can create the 'cyber-bully' effect that someone else mentioned earlier. Comments on Slashdot/Digg/Engadget/etc get buried simply because people gang up on a particular user, which is something we'd want to avoid.

Still, we'd want a way to flag inappropriate content so users can let us know when something needs to be reviewed, but flagging it shouldn't necessarily remove/hide that comment until a mod/admin deals with it.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

That being said, can like buttons work as a sort of "upper" for merit-worthy reviews?

Or will it just be a "this is one of the more-popular comments in the thread" deal?

Either way is fine for me and a good step or two in the right direction.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

well my suggestion was jsut a like button on forum posts. i dont think that the like button would really help anyway for merit worthy reviews.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Supposing it would be effective for both forum posts and comments. I mean, I don't see why not, right?

I also agree with the down button thingy. Unless you wanna count the flag button as an invisible-to-all down arrow, knock yourself out!

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

you mean like a button that brings you to the bottom of the page?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

can like buttons work as a sort of "upper" for merit-worthy reviews?

Hmm, I'm not sure, otherwise someone with 100 friends who "like" their comment could make us think it's worth a merit when maybe it isn't.

We could maybe have a "hide this post" sort of button on a user-by-user basis, I'm not sure. I'll have more info on this stuff in my blog post later in the week.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Are we assuming, that if this feature is implemented, it would apply to both forum posts AND comments?

And touching on the edit button - I think a timed window to edit for members is a great solution to the compromise with moderating. I could give a long "wish-list" of moderating tools...

*crosses fingers for a PM system*

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

oh i get it now(sarcasm)we steal ideas then build them then we say we made them up. hmmmmmm i dont see how its fair to the original creator of the idea

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Go find the origional creator of the idea.

Stop complaning beacsue someone didn't like your idea.

This is actually something that would better the site as a whole, and make the user experience better, whcih in the end is what the Adminastration is trying to do.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

we steal ideas then build them then we say we made them up.
The admins wouldn't be stealing ideas nor bragging that they made them up. Hundreds of websites share similar features and they don't fight for original ownership of the feature.
Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

and you can stop complaining because i dont like what you suggust im just dont like the idea im not trying to say that everyone has to agree but im not going to agree with something just because gold kings and adminastrator and mod like it and no im not going to contact youtube or who ever invened it. I just don't agree with everyone sorry.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

It's fine that you don't agree. Just disagree and move on. I also disagree with the idea, I think it's a feature that'll end up getting abused. I'd prefer AG to stick to the simpler forum style, I like it

Showing 31-45 of 51