ForumsNews and Feedback[AG3] how should name changes work?

45 11291
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

AG3 will probably let you change your username to something which another player hasn't already chosen (for those that ask, there *is* a player named '1337' on the system already).

The old AG2 system ties more information to your username than a unique identifier for your account, so changing your name on AG2 became a nearly impossible feat. On AG3, we're making sure to do everything with the unique identifier (which is common practice, and just plain good design, in my opinion), so a name change will be much easier.

The only thing is whether or how we notify other users that you've changed your name. Maybe we'll overlay your armatar with a small icon for a few weeks that indicates you've changed your name or something.

• 45 Replies
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

The only name that I would like to use is Jess, because I really dislike people calling me Jezz, but I'm guessing that would be impossible because 'Jess' is already taken by a ghost account?

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I must sound like a weirdo because I posting too many things about name changing. Sorry?

So is this a thread where you can suggest changing your username?
If so then if you can delete the user "1337" I would like to change my username to that. If you can't delete the account then I would like for my username to be "7331".
/offtopicness maybe

So have you spoke with Dan about the idea?

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

Well, what if our names were taken by inactive ghosts?

For example, I wouldn't mind mine to be Owen. However, that name is currently occupied by an inactive. Surely they don't plan on coming back to the site, if they haven't been here in 2 years? Perhaps if a name is request that has been taken by a ghost, you could send the ghost an email. And if the ghost says he doesn't care/ doesn't reply in a specified time frame, you could give away that name?

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

How many times would we be able to change it then?
Just once in total or whenever we want to? Cause it would get confusing I think..

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

For the first time, I agree with you BV. It would make moderating REALLY hard if we had name changing. Not to mention, I don't have the brain space to keep up with a member being XYZ this week and ABC next week.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

How many times would we be able to change it then?

I think a reasonable amount would be to change your name one time. Since when you first make your account you think your username is fine. But then over the time you spend on AG you would like to change it. I would say to think really hard on what name you should change it to if you were only to change it once.
Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

I think you owen, that will be very hard

...What? I bet it's a really obviously spelling error and I am stupidly not seeing it -.-
Shenko
Shenko
1,059 posts
Treasurer

or you could have to email the mods for a name change

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This thread is to discuss whether we'll allow you to change names, not a place to ask for name changes.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I don't have the brain space to keep up with a member being XYZ this week and ABC next week.

Which is why I thought of having an armatar overlay image, something that indicates you have a new username. eBay does something like this. That overlay can go away after a few weeks, but I also agree with the idea of only allowing one name change every 6-12 months.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To compare other sites, Facebook allows you to change your name as often as you want, but your friends are never notified. You can also apply for a vanity URL (ie: http://facebook.com/cormyn) which doesn't change even if you change your name on Facebook.

Twitter will allow you to change your username, which also changes your profile URL (ie: http://twitter.com/cormyn)

The example I used to explain this idea to the webdev team was back in the days when I played Everquest -- Sony published a list of every player who paid to have their name changed, so if you wanted to avoid a user who harassed you or ninja'd some loot, you'd be able to see something like "cormyn is now known as kormyn" or something, but it was something you had to manually look up.

So that's where I got the idea of having something show up over your armatar that other users can recognize as "this user has recently changed their name", and have their old name show up on their public profile page like, "Name Change Alert: cormyn used to be called kormyn". This might require that we reserve their old name for a few weeks before we free it up for someone else to use.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

did you really used to be called kormyn???

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yes, kormyn is an alternate spelling I've used in some games. Along with backwards spellings like Nymroc.

We're off-topic though.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

well im sure if someone changes there name it will be minor changes like knight_34 changing his to king_34

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

well im sure if someone changes there name it will be minor changes like knight_34 changing his to king_34

Lololol. Of course it would be like that.
For some odd reason I want an underscore in my name since you can't get one anymore. Just a random one like _1337_
Minor changes would be easier to know who's who after they change their name.
Showing 1-15 of 45