ForumsNews and FeedbackForum Survey/Poll

12 5335
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

This has been suggested before, but I would like to bring it to light.

I think that we could benefit from a forum poll/survey option. There are a LOT of topics that are simply ABC vs. XYZ. In those topics, no matter how much we beg and plead, "Don't SPAM!" They still do...

Soooooooooo...... I would think a polling system would be a great option for the forum. You would not receive AP for voting, of course.

But, there could be some bad in this I'm just not seeing at the moment. It's been a real long day at my physical job.

• 12 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We'll consider it once we figure out what the new forum setup is going to look like.

limebreaker10
limebreaker10
153 posts
Nomad

oh ok, it seems like a geat idea.

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

Sounds like a good idea to me, but would you be able to comment on the poll also? Or would replies be locked in poll threads?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I would say replies would be open

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, typical forum software allows you to participate in the poll and leave comments too. I've seen some where the writer can turn off replies, and just have the poll and results.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I indeed have seen such features in polls before too! =D
The participant was able to have three separate options :

#1. Vote anonimously without writing a comment to the vote...
---> (comments become automatically disabled when chosing this option);

#2. Vote with username, but without writing a comment...
---> (no 'blank' comment is submitted, only the vote is counted);

#3. Vote with username and write a comment to that vote.

That worked pretty well if you asked me! Come to think of it... I now recall that there also was a 'I Like This' button to be used separately in a poll...

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Can we make the polls fancy in which we can submit a vote pertaining to our own answer?

Poll: Which fruit is your favorite?

User1: Apples
User2: Oranges
User3: Pomegranate
User4: Mangoes
User5: Bananas
User6: Grapes
User7: Apples

Very unlikely that people will choose pomegranate or mangoes as their answer, nor would the poll creator think of that when making the thread. So, what would be ttly shweet would to add whatever the answer the user wished into that thread as a vote.

Thumbs up!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Since we don't let anonymous users post in the forums, we likely wouldn't allow "anonymous" poll responses, unless it was something we wanted to run as a company-wide survey.

Keep the suggestions coming though. I can't promise it for launch, but we'll definitely look at it.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Since we don't let anonymous users post in the forums, we likely wouldn't allow "anonymous" poll responses, unless it was something we wanted to run as a company-wide survey.

That one survey in which we were redirected to a 3rd-party website comes to mind. If you guys wanted to involve anonymous users, you could just use that idea again. It worked out juust fine that way

In the forums though, you just need registered users. They don't have to make comments relating to the vote if they don't want to.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

In the forums though, you just need registered users.

I know, I know... I was just referring to the poll I had experience with...

And of course anonymous (with a 'y'... lol) is not something we want here, right?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

No, we don't want anonymous users participating. It's a perk to being a member.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Also, let's move this discussion to the sticky thread about forums, please.

Showing 1-12 of 12