ForumsNews and Feedback[AG3 idea] Deleted Username Lottery

42 8399
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Larry and I just discussed the idea of having a "lottery" system for usernames which are freed up through an eventual user deletion system for dropping inactive users -- if we even build such a thing.

I told Larry I wanted to build it auction-style, but Larry's not keen on the idea of turning AP into a "currency" to spend on things, and instead came up with the idea of a lottery where we let 100 qualifying users put their account into a pool to "win" a new username. Qualifying, of course, would depend on when you last changed your username, etc.

Thoughts?

• 42 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Totally unrelated, but: This reminds me of the "Wheel of Moderation" somehow.

Could work, as long as people are able to get the one they want.
I sense at least a few wanting to have "1337" > >...

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I have a feeling that some of those names we might have to hold a week-long lottery, or at least lots of notice.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

It could work but I'd prefer a 'auction' system over the lottery one. That might just be me though and if Larry is against it then it doesn't matter.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I sense at least a few wanting to have "1337" > >...

*Cough cough* Mhm Cenere.
week-long lottery

Hum... Maybe instead of one lottery for one name, multiple ones so whoever has the most would get the name. But the chances of people getting their name drawn more than once are unlikely.
It could work but I'd prefer a 'auction' system over the lottery one.

So do I except I don't want to auction Armor Points, something else maybe.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

An auction system? We don't even have a form of currency yet.. Hmm.. I don't really remember anyone wanting my desired username, Knight.. Oh well.

but Larry's not keen on the idea of turning AP into a "currency"

Most of us aren't really keen on that either.. I'd personally prefer a separate system.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I'm a little confused on how you guys came up with this, to be honest XD

I mean...why go though the trouble of just changing names? Either way, others will be confused as to the sudden change of their usernames. At least with the mentioned-earlier concept of a display name and an account name, you still retain your original account, but can freely change your display name.

Sounds a bit too much of an effort to me :-/

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

i actually think this is a great idea, i think it should be less people though. cause im sure people want to change there name, but not THAT many people.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

You could auction certain usernames off for AP (Which is a potential currency (although Larry doesn't want it to become this for obvious reasons)) - whoever puts the highest AP bid in gets the username. This would keep out the people who seek to change username every few days.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

I am strongly against the use of AP for currency. I prefer a special currency is created.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

What about a 'real' auction - buy a form of Armor Currency using real money (Call it Armor Credits maybe?) - these credits could then be used in the auctioning of usernames, attaining special armatars and so on. Of course, the advantage of this is that it brings much needed extra money into the site although the downside would be the initial time and cost required to get such a system running.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

What? Argh, I'll completely stay away actual paying to change my username. I'm glad to buy AG products and such but to change my username?

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Meh, it works. It would stop the name-change spammers that you often get on boards with completely free and open username-changes.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

That is why I suggest something Cormyn also mentioned in a post of his: a karma/rep requirement to changing your username. It should at least be high enough to keep out spammers/trolls long enough that action will be taken against them.

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

a karma thing would be nice and depending on qualities of posts there will be a little thing on the side of the profile shower thing when you post it will have this

good poster:
+
-
troll/noob:
+
-

and only mods can change the karma button

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Some karma/rep (I prefer the term rep) systems I have seen enable other users to give rep to each other. To prevent sockpuppet abuse I believe there should be some requirements to give out karma/rep.

Sockpuppet abuse is always rampant here on AG.

Showing 1-15 of 42