ForumsNews and FeedbackModerating Your Threads

31 7506
samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

I'm curious if we'll be able to have more control over the threads that we create in 3.0 or if it will remain largely unchanged.

Or if you aren't sure yet.

• 31 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I hate disagreeing with admins but I think editing your posts won't be a good idea. If you want to add something add a new post, and I think it's better if everyone can see everything has been written.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

That's why people make note of the edits they have made to a post. Well, that's the appropriate thing to do.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Would there be a way for mods and admins to "view original post?" That could really solve some issues.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

No.

Well that was rhetorical, so you didn't have to answer it :'(

Would there be a way for mods and admins to "view original post?" That could really solve some issues.

I see what you're saying...So if a guy remakes his post, mods and admins can see "view original post" just to check if they didn't do anything funny?

User1: Abortion is wrong and I don't think user2 has any evidence to back up his statements

User2: I agree totally
Original Post: GO TO HELL USER1

Something like a drop-down window to show the revisions would be neat, like how the quick-game jump works.
BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

Would be abused, like people have said.
If you want your thread locked just spam in it

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I see what you're saying...So if a guy remakes his post, mods and admins can see "view original post" just to check if they didn't do anything funny?

User1: Abortion is wrong and I don't think user2 has any evidence to back up his statements

User2: I agree totally
Original Post: GO TO HELL USER1

Something like a drop-down window to show the revisions would be neat, like how the quick-game jump works.

Exactly! This way, User2 can't argue with me about what his original post really read.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

I still say that a lot of premature oops-posts can be avoided if:
#1) that text/comment box was bigger
#2) or, the submit button was located further away from the text/comment box

It would be nice if we had a 5 minute window of time to change our mind with the final submission of a thread topic. However I feel that once you have finally submitted your topic it shouldn't be allowed to be altered. I also can see the huge potential for abuse.

42maelstrom
42maelstrom
123 posts
Nomad

I think that a five minute window of time would be a bit pointless; just don't post it for 5 minutes, right?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

42maelstrom, what wajor59 meant (and others) is that once you submit your message, you have up to 5 minutes to go back and alter your post once you've already submitted it.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

What is rather than a time limit, both versions of the post are shown? The original could be hidden by a spoiler box or something to that effect. That way the post can be edited at anytime, but the original text will always be there.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure that we'd want to get into tracking the history of every forum post that gets an edit. I'd much rather work on a 5-minute edit window and then no changes can be made beyond that.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

You just know that there are people who will make an edit to fix a mistake and make another mistake.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Well, you'd be able to make unlimited edits within that 5 minutes, then the 'edit post' button would go away.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I agree, tracking all of the original posts would pose a problem. This may fall into the bucket of "you can't keep everyone happy." Because, on the flip side there are members that want to be able to update the original post. For instance, CRBWC 2010 needs to be updated periodically.

samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

Once again, add an *add* button to OP's thus being able to add anything that needs updated but the original content is still intact.

Showing 16-30 of 31