ForumsNews and FeedbackWord Requirement

19 6318
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

This is a quick, small suggestion. I'm not sure if you've covered this or not (I've check the "Master AG3 Suggestion List - Please look here first before submitting new ideas" thread) but I think you guys should put a word requirement for the forums or comments. Or both. This way it could semi-stop the spamming for one word posts on the forums and comments.
Don't do a character requirement because they could just type "lololololololololololololololololololol" repeatedly but a word requirement with real words.

I don't know, just give it a try?

• 19 Replies
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

It's a good idea, but it's already been suggested before.

And people could still copy and paste a word like &quototato" 20 times. As well, one-word spam comments stand out easier and it's easier to find and delete them, than when they're say 20 words long, your eyes might just skip over them because it's a fair chunk of text.

42maelstrom
42maelstrom
123 posts
Nomad

But people could just go "gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogogogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo gogogo"

or something easy to like that, personally, I think this is a stupid idea. The only perfect was to detect spammers is manual detection. I think people need to flag comments more often, including me, I never flag comments. I think there should be a warning, another warning, and the user being banned. But then people/mods would be reluctant to delete/ban people with thousands of AP, wasting hard work. And the problem with manual detection is that it's so much slower and harder then electronic detection. But it'd also make spammers a lot more obvious, wouldn't it.

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

I don't know about you but I've never seen someone spam just 'lololololollolol' or 'gogogogo gog ogog og ogog' 'otato potato potato' etc.
If they do it will be deleted by mods, user will be warned and banned if they keep abusing the rules, a word limit would be good I think.

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

I I I II I I I II I I I II I II I I I II II II II III II I I II I I I I II I I I I II I I I I II I I I I I I I I I I I I

There we go I did 20 words.

See how easy it would be to break?

Then they would just copy and paste.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I see how people could do that but then they would have a bad reputation for spamming don't you think?

Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

Well they could just write.

"This is a really random post lol lol lol lol."

And there we have it.

But then again there could be a thing that says "Detected word used too many times." ??

I don't know. Don't judge me.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

I don't really see the point in this. Developing a better flagging system and instilling the need to stay vigilant to the users should deal with spam. People need to learn not to add to a pile of spam and not to feed trolls.

As for a word limit, it can easily be bypassed. I'm fine with a character limit. Sure it can be bypassed but its job is to deter, not to prevent.

Some people are saying that it would be easier to spot a chunk of spam if it was only a single word, compared to the same word repeated over and over again. I believe we aren't blind at all and that we can actually read what's on the screen, so really I don't care much. Spam is spam.

I see how people could do that but then they would have a bad reputation for spamming don't you think?

The people who pointlessly spam on a regular basis don't care about reputation. They're either ignorant, foolish, apathetic or bored.

But then people/mods would be reluctant to delete/ban people with thousands of AP, wasting hard work.

People ought to be punished according to the offences they make. Though I do agree that manual detection is the key.
wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

But then again there could be a thing that says "Detected word used too many times." ??

But what if your writing one of our famous stories about AG?
Wouldn;t you have to include the word magical, magestic, and wonderful, etc. Like thirty times?
Plus if what your writing (post or comment) has the word if alot in it like some i've seen then this would also screw with people.

So how about a comment checker. Like an auto-mated system that checks for words that need censors (what we have now) and makes sure that it isn't just spam. Is there such a software out there that looks at previous posts and comes up with whether your post has relavance to previously stated posts?

Hopefully you understood that, but my mind is a scary, scary place to get stuck in traffic. So please I advise to bring heavy artilery if you plan on exploring my thoughts.
TheKenseY
TheKenseY
70 posts
Nomad

A comment:

spam

Generic CTRL+V phrase to bypass spam detection.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

If you think about it, spam is much easier to locate on game comments when they are short, therefore unproductive. Every so often you get a sentence or two sentence opinion of the game, plus a review.

Trumpetfury
Trumpetfury
615 posts
Nomad

eh, if we could make the common AG user, to click the flag for spam if they see it, and if they would get banned, for having three different comments flagged 3+ times, problem solved, no word requirement needed. see how smart i am??? xD

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Trumpetfury, that is fair idea but I believe combinations of measures are most effective.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

eh, if we could make the common AG user, to click the flag for spam if they see it, and if they would get banned, for having three different comments flagged 3+ times, problem solved, no word requirement needed. see how smart i am??? xD

That's not really fair...or fun, is it? They're just unproductive comments; they aren't causing exaggerated mayhem or endangering the minds of the pre-teens are they? What could be more effective than reporting the users to a mod whilst getting 2 AP in the process? The normies shouldn't have a hand in banning a user (besides reporting) under any means.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I really think that most people are afraid to flag for some reason. Just like the reason on an MMORPG that people are afraid to report someone. Just in case they're wrong.
What I need to know is that what happens if you flag something that shouldn't be flagged?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Well as you may or may not know, 1337, the flagged comments are sent to the admins to be looked over. If they feel that it was right to be flagged, the comment will be deleted. If the flagged comment wasn't that bad, they will leave it alone. Reviews that are flagged by questionable users, well...my theory is they are given a talking to.

If it was a simple spam problem, then I don't feel that flagging the comment is at all effective; the problem can be fixed faster by reporting. If there was a bot that is adding the various games, then flagging is useful, since the admins will look at that bot. What goes on from there is hazy to me, but they probably will ask the company of that bot to have it and others restrained from the site.

Back to the word requirement...If we lengthen it, and people will still spam nonsensical comments, they will be hidden from legit comments even more. Right now, people can type whatever they want. So the branch between bad and good is wider. You get the really short comments and the really long comments. Adding a higher minimum will shorten the branch between the two and will make spam harder to spot, especially if mods and admins skim the pages.

Showing 1-15 of 19